Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Consider the worst case scenario for each example when parking in your garage:

Creep Off: Using the accelerator to feather the speed = pressing too hard results in acceleration/possible impact. :(
Creep On: Using the brake to feather the speed = pressing too hard results in deceleration/stopping without impact. :cool:

I run creep OFF because I love the auto hold feature. I don't know why but engaging auto hold is WAY harder with creep enabled. So, I want easy to engage auto hold MORE than I want creep, so, unfortunately no creep for me. I would leave creep ON if auto hold behavior was unchanged. Tesla, are you listening? I didn't think so ;)

Also would love an anti roll backwards setting. Totally almost rolled into cars behind me because auto hold is so frequently applied. But once in a while it is not and being on a slight incline can be dangerous. Tesla is into safety, right? Give us an anti roll backwards setting option please! One single accident avoided justifies it IMO!

I run creep OFF because I love the auto hold feature. I don't know why but engaging auto hold is WAY harder with creep enabled. So, I want easy to engage auto hold MORE than I want creep, so, unfortunately no creep for me. I would leave creep ON if auto hold behavior was unchanged. Tesla, are you listening? I didn't think so ;)

Also would love an anti roll backwards setting. Totally almost rolled into cars behind me because auto hold is so frequently applied. But once in a while it is not and being on a slight incline can be dangerous. Tesla is into safety, right? Give us an anti roll backwards setting option please! One single accident avoided justifies it IMO!

Have you tried using Vehicle Hold... :cool:

upload_2018-10-7_14-59-4.png

I wish I had a choice (will later but not now). I have creep (no way to disable) and dislike for several reasons.

1) Creep was NEVER natural or designed and is an unavoidable side effect of the torque converter.
2) Have drove manuals too and there is of course NO creep.
3) Slowing down I'm regening and negative kW and when I get to about 2MPH it changes to positive kW as creep engages.
4) It seems that (in my car at least) you must press the pedal a little farther down and hold or it will creep, maybe because a lighter press is just for regen and not far enough to make the pads "bite".

Consider the worst case scenario for each example when parking in your garage:

Creep Off: Using the accelerator to feather the speed = pressing too hard results in acceleration/possible impact. :(
Creep On: Using the brake to feather the speed = pressing too hard results in deceleration/stopping without impact. :cool:

You left out this scenario.

Creep On; You let go of the brake, the car starts moving faster than expecting. In a panic, you smash on the accelerator. Just search the internet for sudden unintended acceleration - that is the cause of over 90% of the time (per the NHTSA). :mad:

You left out this scenario.

Creep On; You let go of the brake, the car starts moving faster than expecting. In a panic, you smash on the accelerator. Just search the internet for sudden unintended acceleration - that is the cause of over 90% of the time (per the NHTSA). :mad:

Unintended Acceleration is far more likely when you have creep off along with pedal misapplication :cool:

Unintended Acceleration is far more likely when you have creep off along with pedal misapplication :cool:

Completely agree.

I don't have my Model 3 yet, but I drove a friends P3D for a weekend. Incredible car!
I read through the whole owners manual and came to this conclusion myself when running though possible scenarios in my head.
My friend and I discussed this setting and think creep off is the reason for so many unintended acceleration events.

We have a tight garage. My wife will be primarily driving this car, has never driven manual transmission, and is not used to the quick acceleration of electric vehicles. I drive auto/stick and love the quick acceleration/regen. Having to feather the accelerator to pull into a tight space seems like a recipe to launch into the wall. Also, if the car is sitting there not moving, but in gear, she may accidentally press the accelerator and launch. With creep on, when foot is not on the brake the car begins to move, so you know right away you are in gear. I believe your foot should be on the brake when not moving, or put the car in park. Why risk it? With creep off, and in gear, you can also coast backwards by accident. For me, the potential for disaster far outweigh the benefits of one pedal driving. So creep will be ON for our car.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlatSix911
Vehicle hold requires far greater brake force to apply when creep is enabled than when creep is disabled. That's my observation.

That is true. A lot greater in fact. I am used to it by now, but at first I thought I will break the brake pedal. I have creep on for both my X and 3. We drive our Tesla like they are ICE cars. And it is easier to creep into parking spaces and garage. I learnt to drive in a stick shift and drove one for first 3 years. I really hated manual transmission.

On because I see zero advantage having it off and several advantages having it on.

35+ years of manual transmissions. Why enable the disadvantages of a manual transmission. It’s not like the car is an Atari game or something. Oh wait...

My manual transmission ego isn’t hurt.

Reactions: FlatSix911