Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Model 3 is stopped, Vehicle Hold can continue to apply the brakes even after you remove your foot from the brake pedal. When driving on a hill or on a flat surface, brake as you normally would. After coming to a complete stop, simply press the brake pedal again (until the touchscreen displays the Vehicle Hold indicator light) to enable Vehicle Hold. You can then release the brake pedal and remain stopped, even on a hill. This indicator displays on the touchscreen whenever Vehicle Hold is actively braking Model 3. To disengage Vehicle Hold, press the accelerator pedal or press and release the brake pedal. Note: Shifting into Neutral also disengages Vehicle Hold. Note: After actively braking Model 3 for approximately ten minutes, Model 3 shifts into Park and Vehicle Hold cancels. Model 3 also shifts into Park if it detects that the driver has left the vehicle.

I don't see the benefit of brake hold. I come to a light. I brake. Let off brake and press again. So I look like I can't drive because my brake lights are flashing as I press on and off. I'm not that lazy that I can't hold the brake. If brake hold auto applied, I could see the benefit as this would still hold the car if my foot slipped off the brake when on an incline. Otherwise, I need to manually activate the brake hold, so its not like it helps me, and I need to retrain to activate brake hold. Just keep your foot on the brake.

Now, what if you have creep off and are on an incline? Do you begin to coast front/back in that moment it takes to lift foot off brake and reapply to activate brake hold? Maybe I'm missing something.

Creep: When on, Model 3 applies forward torque in Drive and backwards torque in Reverse when you release the brake pedal (similar to a conventional vehicle with an automatic transmission). The torque moves the vehicle slowly on flat roads, but may require you to press the accelerator pedal in some situations (for example, when on a steep hill or driveway). When off, Model 3 is free rolling when you let your foot off the brake pedal and the motor does not apply torque until the accelerator pedal is pressed. You can adjust this setting only when Model 3 is in Park. Warning: Never rely on Creep to apply enough torque to prevent your vehicle from rolling down a hill. Always apply brakes to remain stopped or the accelerator to proceed up the hill. Failure can result in property damage and/or a collision.

With creep off the car is free rolling on an incline. It will not hold you from coasting front/back when foot is off brake.

Yes, pedal misapplication is possible on either mode but I personally feel creep on is less likely for mishap with my driving habits.

Reactions: 03DSG
Thanks for quoting that for clarification. I don't see the benefit of brake hold though. Just so I don't need to keep my foot on the brake at a red light? I'm not that lazy? In other situations I'll just put the car in park.

The relevant benefit here would be it won't roll back between the time you move your foot from brake to accelerator as it it doesn't turn off until you're already pressing the accelerator.

Reactions: JeffK
Now, what if you have creep off and are on an incline? Do you begin to coast front/back in that moment it takes to lift foot off brake and reapply to activate brake hold? Maybe I'm missing something.
Yes the manual is a bit unclear here. You do not let off the brake and reapply it. You simply brake to a stop and with your foot still on the brake, press it harder. This will turn on hill hold. Your brake lights are not flashing and at no time do you roll backwards.

... If brake hold auto applied, I could see the benefit as this would still hold the car if my foot slipped off the brake when on an incline. .
.... Maybe I'm missing something.
I would say that with creep OFF, that auto hold is automatically applied about 90% of the time because of the very low pedal pressure to activate it.

I learned to drive in a city that hugged a mountain, all the cars were stick-shift, and drivers are crazy. Watching the car in front roll backwards was usual. For years I either refused to drive an automatic or grumbled. Nowadays I like Creep on and look forward to FSD in my lifetime.

Reactions: FlatSix911
Thanks for quoting that for clarification. I don't see the benefit of brake hold though. Just so I don't need to keep my foot on the brake at a red light? I'm not that lazy? In other situations I'll just put the car in park.
Also when racing someone off the line, you want brake hold so your foot can be over the accelerator ready at a moment's notice.

I went from off to on because I also noticed that it can go backward when coasting to stop without the brake hold position.
Then use the brake hold. Even with creep at a steep enough grade (San Francisco streets) you will still go backward just like with automatic would. So why not use brake hold which works for every grade and have just one system to create a habit around. The creep stuff was just added for people who have trouble adjusting to new things. I am sure this vestigial feature will eventually go away.

Reactions: ken830
Creep off + high regen = perfect manual transmission

Feels like neutral when stopped, feels like the correct gear when accelerating, and feels like engine braking when decelerating. Perfect control in low speeds & tight spaces using the accelerator.

We've had creep off and high regen on our Model S for nearly 6 years and 120K miles and never had any problems. My wife likes this config too.

I don't believe this is true. Regen will never stop your Model 3 completely. It seems to quit working at 5 - 10 mph. I'm pretty sure that could be changed with an update though if Tesla wanted to.
Absolutely true. I see the green bar indicating regen down that low. Yes, it’s a tiny speck of green but it’s there. Creep kicks in around 7 mph and the regen stops. Try it.

Turned it off before I ever pulled out of the parking spot when I took delivery. It was hilarious. The guy giving me my orientation (who was definitely not a Tesla car employee) brought up the screen with the steering, power and creep controls to explain it to me. Before he could get 5 words out of his mouth I had turned off Chill, switched my steering to sport, and turned off creep.