Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you prefer Creep On or Off?

Creep On or Off?

• On

Votes: 142 31.1%
  • Off

Votes: 315 68.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find when you want to go slowly, it's much better to be feathering the brake than featheingr the accelerator.
While I have no trouble with this and the accelerator. I think it's going to boil down into personal preference.

When we have a new generation of drivers who only know EVs, I think we will see creep disappear over time, especially as one pedal driving becomes more popular.

P87 of the owners manual seems relevant here

Tesla said:
Warning: Never rely on Creep to apply enough torque to prevent your vehicle from rolling down a hill. Always apply brakes to remain stopped or the accelerator to proceed up the hill. Failure can result in property damage and/or a collision

Definitely off. I had a manual car before, so no creep there.

TBH I think 'creep' mode is a bane, I'm always seeing cars inch forward at traffic lights or any other time they shouldn't be moving, because their foot is relaxing on the brake or something. I've found it very easy to inch forward in very heavy traffic just with the go-pedal and not hit anything.

You said in a city with heavy traffic.

In that case you're mainly just following another car at low speeds. In which case EAP/TACC works great.

Just about every example you then gave involved NOT having cars in front of you to follow- which is kind of the opposite of heavy traffic.

No I didn't, I said if you live in a city, I didn't say heavy traffic once, I said "slow moving traffic", as in typical downtown busy city driving. And I'm sorry but every example I gave DOES include having cars in front of me. Sounds like you've never driven downtown Toronto before. I wish there weren't cars in front of me, how nice that would be! Instead the average speed is more like 20-30km/hr because it's so busy and congested. Don't even get me started on the effing bikes everywhere cutting in and out in front of you, gah.

Why does your profile say Montreal if you live in Toronto? :)

I agree that EAP is not great in cities. There are too many variables requiring EAP to be turned off and on constantly. If there is a long stretch without intersection, I will turn it on but typically turn off before getting to an intersection.

Also, when I see a red light, I can lift off the accelerator and have regen slow down towards the intersection, EAP will wait until the end and then brake hard. It also takes too long to start again once the car in front moves.

My house is in Toronto and condo is in Montreal. But I agree EAP is amazing on the highway I couldn't go back to not having that now as it makes it so much more chill to drive especially in really busy traffic! That's also my issue is that cruise or EAP always wants to go 10-15km over the speed limit (as generally on the highway that's what you want), but when driving downtown in a 50km/hr zone I find it takes off too fast when you turn it on as it jumps to 65. Either way this is a bit drawn out, the main reason I like creep is for parking in my super tight garage, using it in heavy downtown traffic is helpful as well but definitely the garage is the main reason.

I wish I could set it 'on' for reverse, and 'off' for drive.

Most of the time I'm backing up it's out of a parking space, and I feel more comfortable with my foot on the brakes in that situation.

Same here. I'd rather have my foot over the brake to press if needed to stop quickly, vs having to transfer foot over to the brake.

Like someone else said, its a matter of preference.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I got my Model 3 on May 2nd, the first time I ever drove an EV was when I took it out of the Service Center. I jumped in the deep end and never looked back. Creep set to off, and full regen. I have never turned creep on, and only set regen to low when it's icy.
It's been so cold lately that even with my regen on full, I've never had full regen on my 40 min commute.

It's been so cold lately that even with my regen on full, I've never had full regen on my 40 min commute.

Yeah, I've had much of the same here as well. I always seem to have at least some regen. But since the temp has dropped, regen has taken a major hit. I hate it when I have to touch the brakes, lol. I'll leave my car plugged in, in the garage and get the climate controls to fire up about 10 minutes before I leave in the morning, so that does give me a little extra. It was so nice though, the other day my GF and I were out and about Christmas shopping and I got back to full regen.

I warm up the car in the mornings too, I also drive it hard right away if the conditions are dry.

I can only imagine the conversation if I got pulled over...

Officer: Why do you kee flooring it?
Me: I'm trying to warm up my battery so I can get full regen... :D