TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you pressure wash your Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by steilkurve, Mar 30, 2015.

1. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

About to conduct the first wash of my Model S. Should I use my pressure washer given it's aluminum and I hear the paint is softer.

2. Sigma4Life

Sigma4Life Member

If you mean the typical sprayer at self car washes then yes, I washed my pearl white P85 for over a year that way and never had any issues. I would spray it down but use my own wash mitt and bucket.

3. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

I use a Ryobi electric pressure washer. Works nicely. Never had any issues. I hold it 6-12 inches from surface of car. I have a foam cannon I use and run over the car with a microfiber wash mitt.

4. iadbound

iadbound Member

I've used a pressure washer many times without incident. The manual specifically discusses the use of pressure washers. It suggests that you don't aim it at the windows; keep a distance of 12", etc. Check page 109 for more details.

5. Kbsilver

Kbsilver Member

Agree about keeping a good distance. A detailer once used a pressure washer too close on one of our vehicles (Ford) and blew the paint right off the plastic bumper cover.

6. pgiralt

pgiralt Active Member

Using just a regular hose gets water into the reverse lights. Can't imagine what a pressure washer would do.

7. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

I have a few words of caution. I use the pressure sprayer all the time (Greenworks 1.7). However, I took my car to a touchless car wash last winter and I sustained a leak around the C pillar near the window. Not sure if this is due to the frameless nature of the window, but I never have experienced this with any other frame less window. It was sealed by Tesla, but I have since avoided pressure spraying around the windows.

I wouldn't worry about blowing paint off or damaging the vehicle, but when I'm

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I use a Gerni sprayer all the time. No issues, but I do have Opticoat. Occasionally get some water in the reflector for the reversing light. No biggie. It dries over a day or two. Service centre assures me no water gets into the light fitting itself.

9. steilkurve

steilkurve Member

Thanks all. Delayed my first wash 'cause it wouldn't stop snowing and raining over here. But this weekend is it. Here's what I'll do to try and keep my black P85D pristine:

- Hose down pano roof and windows.
    - Pressure wash bottom half at a good distance.
    - Foam the car.
    - Hose down.
    - Foam again.
    - 2-bucket wash.
    - Rinse.
    - Blow dry.

I know this may sound extreme, especially the two foaming, but it is really dirty and I want to minimize dirt rubbing off the clear coat.

Thoughts? Have I gone off the rails?! ;-)

10. svp6

svp6 Member

I only did touchless washing for last 3 months. Few drops of water at the small triangular window driver side, nothing impressive - will have it checked when I get my new seats installed. Obviously no undercarriage wash.

11. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Not sure doing the two foam steps is going to help you. If you're using a high quality soap in your foam lance, it's not alkaline enough to start breaking down the grime. I'd use the foam to lay down a thick layer of suds and lubricity to help with the two bucket wash.

Having said that, I like everything else, especially the blow dry.