Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do you really need a portable air compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time Tesla owner soon. I've seen lots of threads discussing different brands of air compressors. What I'm unclear on is how important is it really to get one? How important is it to either have one in your garage at home or to take it with you? Are Tesla tires constantly losing air pressure? I understand that heavier car + more powerful car == tires wear out more quickly, but do I really need to own this device and/or take it with me? For folks who have one, about how often have you needed to use it (say, per 10K miles driven)?

Has nothing to do with being a Tesla...

Easiest investment ever to throw in the trunk...
Hasn't happened on our Teslas yet but with my BMW went into a restaurant and came out with a tire too low to drive...4 minutes later driving home.

Tire light comes on in winter, bikes around the house etc. No brainer.

Snip20220511_7.png
1652307660448.png

We have one of these in each of our Tesla's and one in my Spider....put one in each of the kid's Jeeps too...on sale for $21.99 and works great.

Last edited:
It’s not that Teslas lose air more easily, it’s a backup because the cars don’t have a spare tire.

Now if you have a blowout or other catastrophic tire failure the air compressor isn’t going to help you. But if you have a slow leak from a nail you can top off with the compressor and drive carefully to a tire shop. Otherwise you would need a tow truck.

Hasn't happened on our Teslas yet but with my BMW went into a restaurant and came out with a tire too low to drive...4 minutes later driving home.

View attachment 803069View attachment 803070

We have one of these in each of our Tesla's and one in my Spider....put one in each of the kid's Jeeps too...on sale for $21.99 and works great.

You sold me, I ordered one
Same. I was just going to transfer the one I had in my current car once I get my Model 3 but for $20+Tax it doesn’t hurt to have one in each car.

Reactions: BMWM3Man

View attachment 803069View attachment 803070

Thanks for recommendation, can’t beat the price, ordered one myself

Reactions: BMWM3Man
I have this in my cart right now, for a little peace-of-mind for a trip next month. Mostly just I95 (down to the Keys), but having the option (if possible) for a quick roadside repair vs. waiting for Tesla/tow truck for under $100 and very little space taken up, makes me feel better ...

1652314244369.png

This compressor does wireless (and wired) which I figured would be a bit easier (and the reviews indicate pretty high output) but that's a killer deal on the compressor that @BMWM3Man linked to.

I have this in my cart right now, for a little peace-of-mind for a trip next month. Mostly just I95 (down to the Keys), but having the option (if possible) for a quick roadside repair vs. waiting for Tesla/tow truck for under $100 and very little space taken up, makes me feel better ...

View attachment 803132

This compressor does wireless (and wired) which I figured would be a bit easier (and the reviews indicate pretty high output) but that's a killer deal on the compressor that @BMWM3Man linked to.

I carry these...

1652315178959.png

Besides having no spare, another reason is that, while they’re ubiquitous at gas stations, public air compressors aren’t commonly found where EVs charge (especially if you mostly charge at home or work). On top of that, we don’t take our cars in for regular oil changes and other predictable service events where tire pressures are checked/adjusted; Tesla doesn’t even recommend rotations at specific intervals (well, it keeps changing in the OM).

I too bought a small portable compressor and a good tire plug kit. I measured them so they both fit in the Tesla mobile connector charging bag. It sits in the cubby under the trunk and with the Tesla bag, it doesn't move around or rattle. I don't carry the mobile connector so it works for me.

Mike

• Helpful
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
I have a Dewlt portable compressor in my car. Haven’t needed it for the Tesla, but I did use it a few weeks ago for my daughters car (I think I posted about it before)- she got a flat, called me instead of AAA. I changed the tire, but the spare was very low on air. Luckily I had the compressor in my trunk, so was able to fill up her spare and we were good to go.

I also have a plug kit, but don’t use them anymore. I’ve run into a couple tire shops now that won’t touch a tire that’s been plugged. A real hassle.