Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do you really need a portable air compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize the OP already decided to buy a compressor, but I'll throw in one more voice for getting one, should more people come across this thread still undecided.

We keep one in each car. They've come in handy a couple times over the years to fill up a tire with a slow leak so we're not stuck waiting for roadside/tow. Plus normal tire pressure adjustments of course. What you gonna do, go to a gas station in your Tesla just to use the air? Don't be silly, you're done with gas stations now, time to move on. :)

I like the compressors that have both 12V DC (car) and 120V AC (home) power inputs, very convenient for also using around the house when needed. Currently have this one in both cars, works fine, have filled up a completely flat car tire with it. It's small and light and perfect for occasional use.

Originally had a bigger, heavier, louder, 12V-only Tesla branded one in our older car. Worked fine, was probably heavier duty, but this one has been reliable too and is more useful with 120V input too and also smaller and lighter and quieter (relatively speaking).

Hmm, that one's twice the price of the one an earlier posted recommended, but having both AC/DC power is very tempting, as most of the time it might end up being used at home rather than on the road. Thanks for the recommendation.

Hmm, that one's twice the price of the one an earlier posted recommended, but having both AC/DC power is very tempting, as most of the time it might end up being used at home rather than on the road. Thanks for the recommendation.
Yeah that's why I paid extra for it vs cheapest 12V-only ones. I don't have a huge suburban home with endless storage, sheds, etc. If I can get the same functionality with 1 device instead of 2, that's better for me, especially when I only use it occasionally.

Maybe there's cheaper ones with both power inputs, I only have so much time/patience for digging through Amazon listings these days! I can vouch that this one is nicely compact and works though, with my sample size of 2. 😄

This is the one I got, primarily so I could fit it in the Tesla mobile connector bag to carry it. I used it to pump up the tire I plugged just to test it and it worked OK. I can't give any glowing endorsements since I just bought it and tested it but I guess it makes me feel better carrying it. ;)

Edit: says unavailable now. Wonder why? Maybe it catches on fire. 🤓 Anyway, I'm sure there are more like it.

Mike

There are tire compressors that work with the 12v adapter, the 12v battery, and both.
I recommend the one’s that you connect in the car, what was once called the cigarette adapter.
The trouble with hooking the unit up to the 12v car battery is that you have to remove some plastic pieces in the frunk and in my opinion is a hassle.

Never connect directly to the Tesla 12v battery as a power source!
Inquiring minds (mine) wants to know exactly why. Is it because putting an (unknown, to the car) load on the 12V system can reek havoc with the car's BMS? Or some other reason? I was planning to put a 12V accessory socket inside the frunk so that the 12V is easily available if I need it outside the car. Or inside the frunk if I want to power a cooler there.

Inquiring minds (mine) wants to know exactly why. Is it because putting an (unknown, to the car) load on the 12V system can reek havoc with the car's BMS? Or some other reason? I was planning to put a 12V accessory socket inside the frunk so that the 12V is easily available if I need it outside the car. Or inside the frunk if I want to power a cooler there.

First the 12v battery is NOT your typically car battery, it is of much lower capacity - something like just 30 AH or so. Putting a load on that battery may cause the BMS to flag a battery failure.

If you want to add a 12v port there are other taps you can use such as the CAN Bus or OBD port, if you have one, as well as a few other locations. All of these are powered by the BMS and not directly by the battery, I suggest you search YouTube as I am sure you will find many options.

• Informative
Reactions: RayK
If you already have something like this, check if it fits in the frunk. No need to worry about draining your 12V battery.
joeblow-mountain-1.png

If you already have something like this, check if it fits in the frunk. No need to worry about draining your 12V battery.
joeblow-mountain-1.png
It’s a great idea until you have to attempt to put the pump valve on the car valve. It does not lock on because the aero wheel covers block most of the car’s valve. In order to do this, you need to remove the aero hubs each time. Kind of a pain.

If you keep your phone in the car while your tire compressor is working I don’t see a problem. You are using the 12v battery while it is also be re-charged by the main battery. If the car was not on, I could see you draining the 12v battery.

It’s a great idea until you have to attempt to put the pump valve on the car valve. It does not lock on because the aero wheel covers block most of the car’s valve. In order to do this, you need to remove the aero hubs each time. Kind of a pain.
Yes, forgot to mention that something like these would be useful to putting larger pump heads onto the valve with the wheel cover on.

Reactions: AZTech
I’ve run into a couple tire shops now that won’t touch a tire that’s been plugged. A real hassle.
Sounds like you don't need to do business with them anymore! "Oh, we've done a vapor check and find that you're using Chevron Gas instead of our superior Shell gasoline. We can't mix our gas with theirs." Anyone who won't "touch a tire that's been plugged" sounds like they're either wanting to sell you a new tire or convince you that only THEY can fix your tire. Total BS. Get an air compressor for home and another for your car and don't go back there.

...on sale for $21.99 and works great.

Does this VacLife Air Compressor trip the Tesla's circuit breaker on its 12V outlet or the compressor's fuse? I've had both of those problems with a Slime digital tire inflator. Also it takes futzing running the power wire to the 12V outlet with the inflator to top up all the tires.

So I've been using my floor-standing bike tire pump. It works great!

I might try this VacLife unit or the 12 | 120V TEROMAS unit that @tm1v2 recommended.

It’s a great idea until you have to attempt to put the pump valve on the car valve. It does not lock on because the aero wheel covers block most of the car’s valve. In order to do this, you need to remove the aero hubs each time.

Mind doesn't have that problem. Is your pump a floor standing unit like @3sr+buyer pictured?

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
I just carried over from my old car the battery jump starter that had a built in compressor (it's the Powerstation PSX2 bought at Costco). It's way bigger/heavier than the ones that plug into the 12V socket, but it works as a jump starter too if you have other cars (or someone needs help) and to power other 12V accessories in emergencies. Also don't have to worry about running the 12V cable and tripping the fuse. Easily fits under compartment under the trunk with room to spare.

The closest I could find that still exists today (and around the same price at $70) is this, but can't vouch for the quality:
https://www.amazon.com/STANLEY-FATMAX-J7CS-Jump-Starter/dp/B00RZXVQSU
Here's another:
https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SJ1289-1200-Starter-Compressor/dp/B0789DLKB5

Last edited:
I have this in my cart right now, for a little peace-of-mind for a trip next month. Mostly just I95 (down to the Keys), but having the option (if possible) for a quick roadside repair vs. waiting for Tesla/tow truck for under $100 and very little space taken up, makes me feel better ...

View attachment 803132

This compressor does wireless (and wired) which I figured would be a bit easier (and the reviews indicate pretty high output) but that's a killer deal on the compressor that @BMWM3Man linked to.
This is not a difference of opinion, but asking more knowledgeable audience their opinion.
I have a few questions about the use of tire plugs. I plugged a tire about 35 years ago, in a service garage with the tire off the car. Not hard, a little leverage and the tool punches through the hole with a little glue and the rubber plug. The tool lets go of the plug in the hole on the way out and voila, 42 ponds of air later you're off and driving.
This was done with the tire off the car. The front tire may be turned to get the angle at the hole for the tool but it's a toss of the dice. For me I have to include the jack and puck for taking off the tire. Am I wrong? How about fix-a-flat as a rescue solution? Before calling a tow truck use this as a last resort? I can't see my daughter, or me, depending on the mechanics of plugging a tire to get me home. My 71 year old sister has a Tesla M3. I would like to read the directions one would give her to repair her tire.
First find the hole.

Last edited:
You guys must do a lot of driving around construction sites. Where do all these nail/screw/whatever punctures come from? I've had perhaps 20 flats in 50+ years of driving and exactly one was a puncture where a plug or the goop you inject into the tire would have done any good. -- And I do drive on construction sites a fair amount! (the vast majority have been either tire flaws where the tread separated or the sidewall bubbled out or pothole hits that wrecked the sidewall and often bent the rim as well)

For me a spare makes tremendous sense, hauling around compressors and such, not so much. I do have compressed air piped to the garage from my big compressor, so routine airing up is not an issue.