Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

do you really need a portable air compressor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this VacLife Air Compressor trip the Tesla's circuit breaker on its 12V outlet or the compressor's fuse? I've had both of those problems with a Slime digital tire inflator. Also it takes futzing running the power wire to the 12V outlet with the inflator to top up all the tires.

So I've been using my floor-standing bike tire pump. It works great!

I might try this VacLife unit or the 12 | 120V TEROMAS unit that @tm1v2 recommended.

Mind doesn't have that problem. Is your pump a floor standing unit like @3sr+buyer pictured?

It does not "trip the Tesla 12V outlet or compressor's fuse".

• Helpful
Reactions: Transformer
The bike pump works great, but not on a M3 with the aero hubs because the aero hub is covering part of the tire valve and you cannot lock the pump valve around it without take off the aero hubs. One poster recommended an extension piece, another part and more hassle.

First time Tesla owner soon. I've seen lots of threads discussing different brands of air compressors. What I'm unclear on is how important is it really to get one? How important is it to either have one in your garage at home or to take it with you? Are Tesla tires constantly losing air pressure? I understand that heavier car + more powerful car == tires wear out more quickly, but do I really need to own this device and/or take it with me? For folks who have one, about how often have you needed to use it (say, per 10K miles driven)?
I have used mine thrice now. Glad I have it.

Nope. You can carry one of these.

Attachments

• FEA29964-4990-46FC-9826-F22076938F77.png
    FEA29964-4990-46FC-9826-F22076938F77.png
    241.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
Yes, if nor no other reason than to air up your tires in the fall when the temperature drops. Portable/battery powered is so much easier than a full sized compressor or paying at the gas station (yech). My family has 4 cars so I use mine all the time. Great investment not to mention useful for flats, etc.

Compressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H39S9JQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Fancy Case: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZ44NZT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Tim

This is not a difference of opinion, but asking more knowledgeable audience their opinion.

If I don't have a pump and plug kit, then I absolutely will have to depend on roadside service / a tow truck, so for me, it's to have the potential for a self-fix, it might not be possible, but I'd hate for to have been a 15 minute quick fix, get back on the road vs. a 2-3 hour (or longer) wait. I figure for the <$100 and pretty minimal storage space, it's worth the positive feels :D

FWIW, I have a bigger, not-really-portable compressor in the garage for tires, SUP boards, whatever, so this is just for having in the car.

First time Tesla owner soon. I've seen lots of threads discussing different brands of air compressors. What I'm unclear on is how important is it really to get one? How important is it to either have one in your garage at home or to take it with you? Are Tesla tires constantly losing air pressure? I understand that heavier car + more powerful car == tires wear out more quickly, but do I really need to own this device and/or take it with me? For folks who have one, about how often have you needed to use it (say, per 10K miles driven)?
You will Never need one.....UNLESS you don't have one. Applies to fire extinguishers, Guns, Jackets, water and money too. ( I got the Ryobi: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08G1XVCCK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 )

First time Tesla owner soon. I've seen lots of threads discussing different brands of air compressors. What I'm unclear on is how important is it really to get one?

Only as important as it might be for you to avoid getting stranded in the middle of nowhere, waiting for roadside assistance to arrive.
Depending on the roads you drive and where you live, the answers may vary.
I carry tire repair and inflation pumps in all my cars, including TM3P.

How important is it to either have one in your garage at home or to take it with you?

Are Tesla tires constantly losing air pressure?
I understand that heavier car + more powerful car == tires wear out more quickly, but do I really need to own this device and/or take it with me? For folks who have one, about how often have you needed to use it (say, per 10K miles driven)?

No, Tesla's do not regularly loose air out of the tires (outside of seasonal fluctuations), any more then any other cars do, or do not.
But they are as likely as any other car to pickup a nail on the road, and don't have a spare.

Historically, I've probably had to patch at least one tire puncture in one of my cars annually. Some years it may be 2-3, others 0.
But on average, it's ~1/year, and usually, on longer road trips into areas unknow.

HTH,
a

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the one I got, primarily so I could fit it in the Tesla mobile connector bag to carry it. I used it to pump up the tire I plugged just to test it and it worked OK. I can't give any glowing endorsements since I just bought it and tested it but I guess it makes me feel better carrying it. ;)

Edit: says unavailable now. Wonder why? Maybe it catches on fire. 🤓 Anyway, I'm sure there are more like it.

Mike
Currently unavailable!