Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you really need tire rotation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you do tire balancing at the same time? I called local BJ's tire center. They charge $8 for rotation and $32 for rotation and balancing.
I'm rotating them at home and have not bothered with rebalancing any of my tires, yet. I've not felt even the slightest vibration out of them so I'm not concern at this point. I might at some point get my PS4S rebalanced where I had them mounted, depends on how long they are lasting or if I feel anything.

The track tires, because it is summer here, are going to be dead by fall anyway. :)

Our 3 just turned 10K and also I just got a tire depth gauge. Going to see how the tires are this week. GF who commutes daily isn’t a speed demon and we don’t change tires for seasons, so... I’ll see how uneven they look. As below, AWD, so should be a good check on their being more or less even!

Reactions: Daniel in SD
I hate buying new tires. Well, actually I love having new tires, but it's the time and expense I hate. So rotating them just makes sense. it's cheap insurance. I recently got mine rotated by tesla for the second time.

Also, a tread wear tester costs maybe 8$ - and is stupid easy to use. I recently tested my tires at 18K miles, and they had surprisingly even tread wear between the tires, which won't happen if you don't rotate.

FWIW, the latest version of the owner's manual recommends rotate tires every 10,000-12,000 miles or if tread depth difference is 2/32 in or greater (they also updated other maintenance requirements).

I get a feeling they changed it more as a way to reduce the burden on the Service Centers for tire rotations than for any scientific reason.

IMHO opinion, there's no need to rotate wheels. If you rotate, what you will achieve is that tires will wear more equally across front and rear. Let's say that, instead of replacing the two rear tires at 20k km and then the fronts at 40k km, you'll end up replacing all 4 tires at the same time at 30k km. Something like this.

I notice this very clearly in another car I have that has different tires from front to rear (thus cannot be rotated) and the above is more or less what happens. In my motorbikes, that also happens, toss two rears for each one front (in bikes, fronts and rears are always different sizes).

My RWD Model S eats rear tires approximately twice as quickly as the fronts. This is a byproduct of the rear axle doing 100% of the acceleration AND 95% of the braking through regeneration. So yeah, rotating is pretty important for longevity.

AWD cars seem to wear much more evenly.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
It used to be that Costco charged about $20 to rotate and balance tires not purchased from Costco. But that charge was only for the first visit. For subsequent rotations, it was free. Not sure if that is still the case.
Thank you digitalFan-for mentioning that Costco will not charge for subsequent tire rotation, after the first. As far as I know they provide free rotation service only to tires bought at Costco (as is the case with my other cars). I'll have to check it next time.
Based on the chatter in this thread, I've decided to do my first Tesla tire rotation at Costco at about 7200 mile on my Model 3. Following the advice here, I had bought 4 jack-support pads at Amazon and brought them with me to Costco in Glendale CA. Indeed they used my pads to jack up the car and did a fine job (carefully) of removing the wheels, balancing and rotating them.
Total amount charged was $30 (including tax).

Last edited: