Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret AP3 upgrade with MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think its too soon to tell. AP3 is useless for now. Dash cam and working sentry mode are nice I guess. I could do without them since I already have a dash cam running. They have both slowed my system down big time.

Well see what FSD really offers in the coming months. That $2k sale price may have been worth it. I am willing to upgrade my system to mcu2 but its still not available for my car.

@BigTonyTones, WHAT ? Who is telling you that's not available for your car? Mine is a '17 S with FSD. Mine was upgraded 7 months ago.

My 2017 S was AP2.5 / MCU1 and upgraded to HW3 a few months ago. No noticeable difference with MCU1 performance (or lack of). I have always had intermittent issues when USB drives are plugged in as they can become corrupted which in turn slows down the boot up of the MCU and either removing USB or formatting sorts it out for a while. I have factory reset a few times to clear out ‘stuff’ which appears to help for a while.

I did however have to have the draft board replaced due to the emmc issue in that it just gave up. I had a bad feeling due to the MCU playing up one morning so I disabled pin to drive and the same day it gave up and had to be picked up to get the board replaced. Not noticed any difference since having it back, naturally no faster but hopefully will last longer than 43k miles due to the larger chip.

while mine was in repair I had a model X with MCU2 and thought it didn’t feel much faster until I got my S back and then noticed how much slower MCU1 felt, mainly while switching between radio channels or podcasts etc. But I am not keen on paying near £3k (to also keep radio) for the minimal extras available and considering in the UK we’re probably not be allowed FSD in my lifetime it’s just not worth it in my opinion, but I still want it as I like new stuff but alas I just can’t warrant paying out, especially as I don’t know yet if I will keep the car in a years time when my PCP comes to an end. It just won’t be worth the £33k final payment but could never afford to buy another one either....

Reactions: namikun
My 2017 S was AP2.5 / MCU1 and upgraded to HW3 a few months ago. No noticeable difference with MCU1 performance (or lack of). I have always had intermittent issues when USB drives are plugged in as they can become corrupted which in turn slows down the boot up of the MCU and either removing USB or formatting sorts it out for a while. I have factory reset a few times to clear out ‘stuff’ which appears to help for a while.

I did however have to have the draft board replaced due to the emmc issue in that it just gave up. I had a bad feeling due to the MCU playing up one morning so I disabled pin to drive and the same day it gave up and had to be picked up to get the board replaced. Not noticed any difference since having it back, naturally no faster but hopefully will last longer than 43k miles due to the larger chip.

while mine was in repair I had a model X with MCU2 and thought it didn’t feel much faster until I got my S back and then noticed how much slower MCU1 felt, mainly while switching between radio channels or podcasts etc. But I am not keen on paying near £3k (to also keep radio) for the minimal extras available and considering in the UK we’re probably not be allowed FSD in my lifetime it’s just not worth it in my opinion, but I still want it as I like new stuff but alas I just can’t warrant paying out, especially as I don’t know yet if I will keep the car in a years time when my PCP comes to an end. It just won’t be worth the £33k final payment but could never afford to buy another one either....

I echo the exact same experience (down to similar car, same Model X MCU 2 loaner during HW3 upgrade). Unfortunately, the MCU1 started acting up again (pin to drive failure, periodic scrambled and unresponsive screen) about two weeks after the daughterboard was replaced. Resetting the car has not really helped and I made another service appointment.

We haven't noticed any significant performance difference between our 2017 S MCU1/HW3 and 2018 X MCU2/HW3. The navigation visualization is a little better (the X shows traffic cones - the S doesn't).

The navigation performance is comparable between the two vehicles. Routes are calculated on Tesla's server - not in the vehicle.

We've decided to upgrade our 2017 S to MCU2, with the radio option, not due to performance, but so the S will get access to the growing list of new features supported only on MCU2. And I expect we'll see some improvements in the FSD visualization on MCU2 vs. MCU1.

Other manufacturers would require you to purchase a new vehicle in order to get new features - for many years, Tesla was able to continue adding new features without requiring hardware changes. If purchasing MCU2 gets us back to receiving new software features - the $3K cost is very low compared to buying a new Tesla...

@Electroman, Your's a '16 - being 4 years old. MCU1. I've ready alot of posts about MCU1 and eMMCs and such. I see no mention as I can recall from you about quirky or usual behavior from your MCU. If for no other reason than age and 45,000 miles, AND because the daughter board cost to replace is about $400, I highly encourage you (and anyone else in about the same situation) to ask your SC to replace your Tegra daughter board while you have your car in the SC for AP3 hardware. They are halfway there when they disassemble the right side of the dash to get to the old AP2 engine/hardware. Your car with the new daughter board will behave like it did when it was brand new. Its worth the money to do it, before you must do it. I don't mean this to sound indifferent, but it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, just wanted to share my two cents and hope its worth thinking about to you.

@Electroman, Your's a '16 - being 4 years old. MCU1. I've ready alot of posts about MCU1 and eMMCs and such. I see no mention as I can recall from you about quirky or usual behavior from your MCU. If for no other reason than age and 45,000 miles, AND because the daughter board cost to replace is about $400, I highly encourage you (and anyone else in about the same situation) to ask your SC to replace your Tegra daughter board while you have your car in the SC for AP3 hardware. They are halfway there when they disassemble the right side of the dash to get to the old AP2 engine/hardware. Your car with the new daughter board will behave like it did when it was brand new. Its worth the money to do it, before you must do it. I don't mean this to sound indifferent, but it doesn't make a lot of difference to me, just wanted to share my two cents and hope its worth thinking about to you.
I’m sure it’s good advice. My warranty will be over soon. I’ll ask them about it. I’ve been mostly happy with the original MCU other than the browser working intermittently. It did freeze up on me last week while I was driving through LA on I5 right after it rerouted me due to traffic congestion. Totally messed with me because I didn’t realize the screen froze and I missed getting on the correct freeway and I needed to charge soon. Luckily there’s an unbelievable number of Superchargers in that part of the world. Could that be a sign that I need a new board, or is that fairly normal? It only happened once on my 2000 mile trip. Don’t you think TSLA will reach $1000 pretty soon?

I’m sure it’s good advice. My warranty will be over soon. I’ll ask them about it. I’ve been mostly happy with the original MCU other than the browser working intermittently. It did freeze up on me last week while I was driving through LA on I5 right after it rerouted me due to traffic congestion. Totally messed with me because I didn’t realize the screen froze and I missed getting on the correct freeway and I needed to charge soon. Luckily there’s an unbelievable number of Superchargers in that part of the world. Could that be a sign that I need a new board, or is that fairly normal? It only happened once on my 2000 mile trip. Don’t you think TSLA will reach $1000 pretty soon?
Well, I don't know what to said when some people are saying that they do not see the difference. I have video of both (prior and after the upgrade) and the difference is staggering!
  • a route calculation that took 2mn takes less than 10s
  • redraw of the map is taking less than 5s instead of 20-30s
  • voice command...is working. Before, it could eventually work after roughly 8-10 tries
And I am not the only one, there are thousand of videos on the upgrade and my take on it is that the 2018 Model X you had was not MCU2 but still the MCU1.
My father has a MCU1 as well on his S 100D and the difference is of the same caliber. HU-GE.

And of course, you get Sentry mode and dashcam with 4 cameras (the front one as well), HW3 with all the visualization stuff, Sentry mode review within the car (which is by itself probably a reason to upgrade), side cameras in reverse, ...
Honestly, it is hard to pass.