Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret AP3 upgrade with MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to take the pulse of the community on whether or not I should upgrade to AP3 without changing the MCU on my 2017 MS75 with AP2.0/MCU1.

I've already paid for FSD during the $2K sale last year and have a service appointment next week for the screen yellowing and some other issues. My service advisor noted that they've scheduled the AP3 upgrade at the same time, without my asking for it.
I've been hesitant to go for the MCU upgrade because I still actually listen to terrestrial radio and the stations I listen to are not on TuneIn. Plus, I would imagine that the lack of radio won't help resale value.

I've read as many of the threads as I can find about the MCU upgrade and how MCU1 interacts with AP3. But I'd really like to get a consensus from those who've gone through the process. Are you happy with your decision to keep MCU1 with AP3 or do you regret it? Are you now considering going forward with MCU2 because of the performance impact you've seen?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

The main issue I have is that Telacam is now available, but is basically useless. It records video, but while it does, MCU1 becomes very slow and unstable, and the video is not good. Not sure if it's my USB devices, but I've tried two with the same result. I've seen others complain of the same issue. Other than that, I have not really noticed much of a performance issue.

I have the FSD./MCU1.and it seems to work ok to me. Never had MCU 2 so can't compare. Screen is a little slow while recording but not worth $2500 and tax. When next year it will be time to trade in for the Plaid MS. Then u can get all the newest bells and whistles.

• Informative
Reactions: AndrewTX
I think its too soon to tell. AP3 is useless for now. Dash cam and working sentry mode are nice I guess. I could do without them since I already have a dash cam running. They have both slowed my system down big time.

Well see what FSD really offers in the coming months. That $2k sale price may have been worth it. I am willing to upgrade my system to mcu2 but its still not available for my car.

• Informative
I think its too soon to tell. AP3 is useless for now. Dash cam and working sentry mode are nice I guess. I could do without them since I already have a dash cam running. They have both slowed my system down big time.

Well see what FSD really offers in the coming months. That $2k sale price may have been worth it. I am willing to upgrade my system to mcu2 but its still not available for my car.

Why isn’t the MCU upgrade available for your car? You look to have one very similar to mine: AP2.0/MCU1.

Reactions: Akikiki
We have a 2017 S 100D with MCU1/HW3 and 2018 X 100D with MCU2/HW3.

The big difference between the two is that the X with MCU2 has more games and video streaming when parked - not supported with MCU1.

From a functionality standpoint, the two vehicles feel roughly the same, at least for normal operation - don't feel the S with MCU1 is any slower than the X with MCU2.

The major reason why we haven't upgraded our 2017 S to MCU2 is the lack of radio support. It's not clear what the impact of having MCU2 without any radio will have on resale value. It's possible MCU2-no radio might actually end up lowering resale value. How many vehicles on the market come with NO RADIO???

If Tesla adds radio as part of the Infotainment Upgrade, we'll consider upgrading our 2017 S - but until then, we're satisfied with running MCU1 with the HW3 FSD.

I have a 17 MS 75D and got AP3 hardware a month or so ago with MCU1. Yes MCU1 is slow, but it doesn't affect drivability or FSD use at this time. I don't get traffic cone images on the IC but the car seems to drives through them just like a MCU 2 car. Given how many times FSD has been put on sale I'm hoping for a MCU 2 sale one day.

• Helpful
The major reason why we haven't upgraded our 2017 S to MCU2 is the lack of radio support. It's not clear what the impact of having MCU2 without any radio will have on resale value. It's possible MCU2-no radio might actually end up lowering resale value. How many vehicles on the market come with NO RADIO???

If Tesla adds radio as part of the Infotainment Upgrade, we'll consider upgrading our 2017 S - but until then, we're satisfied with running MCU1 with the HW3 FSD.
No radio might hurt interest from people who care about radio, and MCU2 might help with interest from people who don't care about radio. My kids are too young to drive or buy a car. They grew up with streaming music and are used to on-demand requests, playlists, no ads, skipping songs, etc. There's no way that they would enjoy radio. Maybe they could make do with CDs/MP3. Their parents wouldn't want to go back to radio.

I wanted to take the pulse of the community on whether or not I should upgrade to AP3 without changing the MCU on my 2017 MS75 with AP2.0/MCU1.

I've already paid for FSD during the $2K sale last year and have a service appointment next week for the screen yellowing and some other issues. My service advisor noted that they've scheduled the AP3 upgrade at the same time, without my asking for it.
I've been hesitant to go for the MCU upgrade because I still actually listen to terrestrial radio and the stations I listen to are not on TuneIn. Plus, I would imagine that the lack of radio won't help resale value.

I've read as many of the threads as I can find about the MCU upgrade and how MCU1 interacts with AP3. But I'd really like to get a consensus from those who've gone through the process. Are you happy with your decision to keep MCU1 with AP3 or do you regret it? Are you now considering going forward with MCU2 because of the performance impact you've seen?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Yes.
Did my AP3 upgrade, didn't opt to pay for MCU2. Should have. I'll correct this mistake at some point soon..
(it's slow, crashes at least 1x a week, cant really use the cam feature anymore)

• Helpful