Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret AP3 upgrade with MCU1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have both MCU1/HW3 and MCU2/HW3 vehicles - and both vehicles are experiencing some software glitches with recent releases, causing crashes and blank displays.

Wouldn't necessarily blame MCU1 for those issues.

We've also noticed that a recent update has caused both MCU1 and MCU2 to take an extremely long time to restart (when pressing the steering wheel controls).

Not sure if this is still an issue - the navigation software used to have problems when the destination history list got long, slowing down the processor (even when not in the navigation app); clearing or reducing the size of the list restored performance. If this "feature" is still present, that could also explain difference between MCU1/MCU2 performance after the Infotainment Upgrade, since the upgrade likely loses the navigation destination history.

• Informative
Reactions: AndrewTX
Not sure if this is still an issue - the navigation software used to have problems when the destination history list got long, slowing down the processor (even when not in the navigation app); clearing or reducing the size of the list restored performance. If this "feature" is still present, that could also explain difference between MCU1/MCU2 performance after the Infotainment Upgrade, since the upgrade likely loses the navigation destination history.

How do u clear the nav list ?

Have you determined that it's the dash cam feature which is causing the crashes? I don't think that is one that I'd use very often so it may not be a deal breaker for me.

No. I have not determined that. I was using the dash cam (with USB I mean) at first. In an attempt to hep things out I unplugged the USB. No difference in crashing. It seems to crash at least 1x a week if not more.

FWIW, I have also deleted all nav data and dont use the browser ever. These steps have been in place since before the AP3 install to help with speed in general.

• Helpful
Reactions: AndrewTX
I have a 2016 75D with HW3/MCU1. Do I wish the MCU were more responsive? Sure. Do I wish I had the rear camera with dash cam and the ability to see dash cam video on the MCU? Sure. Cones? Sure.

But, the responsiveness is not so bad that I’d pay $2,500 to fix it and lose terrestrial radio at the same time. Add that back in, and I’ll think about it. (Give me CarPlay, and I’ll pay extra.)

I have a 2016 75D with HW3/MCU1. Do I wish the MCU were more responsive? Sure. Do I wish I had the rear camera with dash cam and the ability to see dash cam video on the MCU? Sure. Cones? Sure.

But, the responsiveness is not so bad that I’d pay $2,500 to fix it and lose terrestrial radio at the same time. Add that back in, and I’ll think about it. (Give me CarPlay, and I’ll pay extra.)
Honestly guys, I can tell you that MCU2 upgrade on a S 75D is like absolutely NIGHT AND DAY.

For me, the best update, ever. It is a NO BRAINER:
  • voice command at last works (no 8 times trial to get something)
  • the speed of the screen interaction is light years better
  • having dash cam review on the car is a god send
  • all new features are great (back camera for dash cam, Netflix / YouTube / browser working), visualization (linked to HW3 I think more than MCU2 but both come together in the upgrade)
  • calculating a route does not take forever.
Honestly, no question about it that it is a must have.

Well, I dropped it off today and told them to go ahead and do the AP3.0 upgrade while keeping the MCU1. We'll see how it goes when it comes back.

Well, I dropped it off today and told them to go ahead and do the AP3.0 upgrade while keeping the MCU1. We'll see how it goes when it comes back.
Rumor is in europe they are going to be adding a digital radio. I saw it on some thread on some website. Hopefully that comes soon to USA

MCU1 is becoming unbearable lately. I remember the days when voice commands worked every time.
I will definitely do the mcu2 upgrade when available for my car.

Reactions: rickyjb
So FSD will work fine with MCU1? My MCU has been working satisfactorily and I don’t really want to spend $8,000 let alone $10,000 on an upgrade for a four year old car. Also I thought you had to get MCU 2 to have functioning dash cams and sentry mode. What does the video look like with the HW1 cars?

It works absolutely fine with mine but only after the Tegra daughter board replacement. Prior to that it was quite bad but not necessarily worse than before I got the FSD computer installed.

Once the daughter board was replaced, my MCU 1 became much more responsive and no more sudden reboots, scrambled screens, etc. Even the web browser is somewhat usable now (although I wouldn’t describe responsiveness as “snappy”). Generally, everything works faster than before but noticeably slower than on an MCU 2.

So FSD will work fine with MCU1? My MCU has been working satisfactorily and I don’t really want to spend $8,000 let alone $10,000 on an upgrade for a four year old car. Also I thought you had to get MCU 2 to have functioning dash cams and sentry mode. What does the video look like with the HW1 cars?

I think the major issue with assuming MCU1/FSD will work together is assuming the navigation is reliable and fast enough. It's clear FSD relies on Nav to determine when and where to turn. Try planning a route in your MCU1 car that is not local to you or try missing a turn and seeing how the MCU repsonds and reroutes. Despite what Elon claims, MCU and FSD are very much tied together.