TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
  1. TMC is currently READ ONLY.
    Click here for more info.

Do you regret buying a RWD Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by dalepearson, Feb 5, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dalepearson

dalepearson Member

Morning all,

I did some searching but couldn't see a perfect answer.

I am looking at buying a used Model S and have seen a RWD car in almost perfect spec, but I am concerned that I would regret holding out for an AWD, even though never needed AWD in the UK before and current cars are RWD only.

So my question is to RWD owners, do you regret only having RWD, and also do you think it impacts the future resale in years to come?

Thanks in advance.

Dale (UK)

2. sandpiper

sandpiper Active Member

Having been to the UK, it would seem to me to be the ideal market for a RWD vehicle. You don't have to deal with the snow & crap on the roads that a lot of us do. Sure it will resell for less, but I expect that you can buy it now for less as well.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

I've got a RWD Model 3 and don't regret it. Actually enjoyed saving some money.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. 4EVar

4EVar Member

I'm in the UK. Picked up a rear wheel drive S for a good price a couple of weeks ago. No regrets whatsoever. The nearest awd version with similar spec was £16k more so I was happy to save that amount!

5. dalepearson

dalepearson Member

Congrats, what spec did you get? Any recommended dealer based on where you got yours?

6. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler We Are Cognitive Dissidents

Have a RWD S85. Got a Dual loaner for a couple of days. No regret at getting the RWD.

7. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Active Member

There's probably no perfect answer, which you asked for.
    I have no regrets with my RWD, in nearly139,000 miles and more than 5 years.
    IIRC, AWD cars in general are quicker than their RWD counterparts, but my "classic" S85 is quicker than anything I've owned before.
    If you do get a "classic" RWD, you'll have the benefit of the extra large front trunk (aka "frunk", or front boot - froot?). I use mine often for objects that don't fit in the newer front trunk. Today I have a collapsing music stand (not a wire stand) and a trombone in there. In a newer car both would have to be in the back. It works great for me since I have to back into my garage.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 2
  8. dalepearson

dalepearson Member

Cheers for feedback so far all.
    I plan to get the facelift version, so my understanding is the frunk is the same size RWD and AWD on these version, so no advantage there.
    I appreciate the AWD is slightly faster and slightly better range, but I don't do alot of miles, and sure you might drove it like you stole it to show off to a few people, but in general I don't drive that fast anymore.

So for RWD car I can get a newer (more warranty), lower mileage, and slightly better spec, than a more expensive one with AWD.
    I plan to keep the car a while, so trying not to make a stupid mistake.
    I have driven an AWD Model S from Tesla sales, so need to compare to the RWD. I imagine it will struggle for grip off the line when booting it, and less sure footed in the corners, but imagine it will be better than my current RWD BMW 428 that I am currently happy with.

9. nsxpert

nsxpert Member

I've driven both and prefer the AWD by a large margin

10. rooter

rooter Member

If you buy a performance model, you'll want AWD.

11. dalepearson

dalepearson Member

No plans for the performance model. 75 kWh battery is perfect for my needs.

• Like x 1
  12. aaron0k

aaron0k Two failed MCU's on a S40 & S70D; both at 84k.

I have both. RWD and AWD. I prefer RWD; it feels like you're being 'pushed'. AWD... feels like you're being 'pulled'.

However, I am based in Southern California; I thought AWD would handle better... it was an unnecessary expense.

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 3
  13. Canuck

Canuck Well-Known Member

#13 Canuck, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    They didn't make RWD when I bought my S in 2013; and they didn't make RWD when I bought my 3 in 2018.

Both have been great and no regrets at all.

Summer of 2014 was great with my S and family -- which I am never getting back.

Summer of 2018 was great with our 3 -- my in-laws came from New Zealand and my wife took them all over southern BC and down into the States in our new 3.

Life's too short not to be driving a Tesla today (or actually 5 years ago).

I bought before AP hardware rolled off the line. Not getting that should cause more regret than not getting AWD (especially since it just showed up for free). But I called out all the whiners in the long threads here -- pointing out they got what they paid for -- and to be happy for those who got it -- and not be the little boy who can't enjoy his one cookie because the kid next to him got two. I still look forward to driving my classic S every day and regrets are a state of mind to be ignored or replaced by being grateful for what you have.

Yes, so true. I had an AWD loaner for a week, to decide whether to get AP. It wasn't nearly as fun to drive. More safe, because it stayed more planted, but much less fun to drive. That applies to pretty much all vehicles when it comes to RWD vs AWD. Nothing beats RWD driving, unless you're dealing with snow. I find it more fun on water but you have to know how to steer in and out of slides, and not brake or steer hard.

Pros & Cons: Rear Drive, Front Drive Or All-Wheel Drive? - National Motorists Association

I'm on the wet coast of BC -- where we rarely get snow, so RWD is fine too, especially with the winter tires I put on. But I have a Tahoe hybrid for the mountain passes to my cabin in the winter.

• Like x 3
  14. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

My only regret with my 2016 75 RWD is that it isn't eligible for the "uncork" that the AWD models received after the fact, increasing power and lowering the 0-60 time by a second.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but had the performance difference been that dramatic when I bought the car, I would have probably ponied up the $5k extra for AWD.

As far as day-to-day driving, no regrets at all. I don't need AWD, basically ever. The range difference is negligible. I've had AWD loaners once or twice - the only real difference I noticed is more cabin noise from the front motor whine.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  15. dalepearson

dalepearson Member

Thanks for the continued insights everyone. Its much appreciated.

• Like x 1
  16. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

I bought a 2013 MS RWD and have no regrets and dont really need AWD where I live or where I drive. Its all about how you plan on using the car. Mine is a commuter/daily driver so mostly freeway (stop and go 95% of the time, gottta love Seattle traffic).

17. TKTNURI

TKTNURI Member

I get some snow in my area and my 2013 RWD still handles beautifully just have to drive a little slower.

18. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Active Member

We got some snow a few days ago and I agree the MS RWD handles pretty good as long as traction control is on. More snow is headed this way so Im sure I will get more snow time with my S.

19. DaveMUK

DaveMUK Member

I’ve got a facelift 75 RWD in the UK and have just passed 43,000 miles in it, no problem with the little bit of snow we get every few years! When I do get a AWD loaner I find the whine from the front motor quite noticeable.

20. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Active Member

Same boat here. I would have loved the extra performance from July 2017 S75 RWD models, but at the time of purchase it made no sense for me to spend the extra $5k for a vehicle that will never see snow, and it's still plenty fast compared with my previous vehicles.

• Like x 1