Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying a RWD Model S?

BrianS85

Dec 1, 2018
San Diego, CA
I’ve never owned an AWD car so I don’t have anything to compare it to. My RWD S85 does fine the 10 days a year it rains here in San Diego. I had no preference when it came to the Dual motor but I figure it’s one less expensive thing that can break.

abasile

Conscientious investor
We live in the Southern California mountains, up near the ski resorts, and our RWD S85 does well in the snow. Having driven Dual Motor Model S cars as service loaners, I'm still quite happy with our "classic" RWD car.

That being said, in California, the authorities usually require either AWD or snow chains when there's snow on the main mountain highways. I hate having to (mostly unnecessarily) use chains on the Model S! Therefore, I'm glad our family chose to hold out for AWD when we bought our Model 3 last year. We just received over two feet of snow and the AWD Model 3 has enabled us to breeze through the chain control checkpoints. But I don't think this will be a consideration in the UK.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
RWD can turn off traction control. Which is necessary sometimes to get moving from standstill on ice. Believe it or not.

AWD launch better on ice, with no need for traction disablement.

RWD have slightly quieter cabin, no front motor whine.

AWD have more even tire wear, with less need for wheel rotations.

RWD seem to have more robust front suspension arms, and no front CV shaft issues (obviously).

RWD (pre-facelift) have an oddly inaccessible 12v battery, which might need replacements.

RWD is a bit more of a driver's car, if you like that kind of involvement.

AWD is a more foolproof drive, correcting of your errors.

AWD are more fuel efficient, in model S.

• Informative
Reactions: AustinP and teasla

kev1n

Nov 17, 2016
SF Bay Area
i have both

i can say that the RWD is more fun to drive

they both have different driving style and i wouldnt say one is superior over the other (excluding obvious reasons where AWD is needed for certain weather conditions)

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
Late to the game here but I live near Green Bay WI high today was cold enough the salt was doing nothing to the snow that fell yesterday. Yes so cold salt won't melt snow. Happy with my 2014 P85, coworker has a RWD Model 3 and a much longer drive than I and did buy snow tires and LOVES the car.
RWD is fine on snow so long as it isn't too hilly or terribly deep, those who say otherwise just are not good driver's.

Reactions: abasile

dalepearson

Jan 27, 2019
Worcestershire
Went for a November 2017 Model S in Midnight Silver with 19" alloys (I really wanted 21's but will get them later).
Its got AP2 enabled, pano roof, latest revision rear seats, sub zero pack, premium sound, air suspension, carbon interior.

I think thats the important things. Should collect in a weeks time.

Hopefully its an uncorked version :) Not the end of the world if not, the weather was terrible so didn't do any enthusiastic driving.

ucmndd

Mar 10, 2016
California
Went for a November 2017 Model S in Midnight Silver with 19" alloys (I really wanted 21's but will get them later).
Its got AP2 enabled, pano roof, latest revision rear seats, sub zero pack, premium sound, air suspension, carbon interior.

I think thats the important things. Should collect in a weeks time.

Hopefully its an uncorked version :) Not the end of the world if not, the weather was terrible so didn't do any enthusiastic driving.

Was Tesla still making 75 RWDs in November 2017? I thought they discontinued them a couple months before that. Interesting.

If it's really that late of a build, it should be uncorked.

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
Late to the game here but I live near Green Bay WI high today was cold enough the salt was doing nothing to the snow that fell yesterday. Yes so cold salt won't melt snow. .

That was how Mr. Fahrenheit chose his scale; the point at which the ammonium chloride-brine solution did not freeze is where he started the scale at 0 degrees F.

i have both
i can say that the RWD is more fun to drive

yeah, I have to turn off the traction control to have fun. Everytime I reach for the touchscreen when it is snowing my wife pipes up "JUST DON'T!"
damn her.

SSedan

Jul 24, 2017
Greenville Wisconsin
-9f this morning, biggest winter complaint about my rwd S is windows freezing, happens on everything, just a bigger hassle with the frameless windows. A winter package heat strip would be amazing.

islandKongen

Jan 31, 2018
Norway
Not a second. I went from a 4motion 2012 VW Passat and has never looked back. Living deep in the rural parts of Norway where snow is present of the better part of half the year and hasn't experienced any problems. Important factor to this is proper snow tires. I run studless Yokohoma tires.

Reactions: jerry33

dark cloud

Apr 14, 2018
BC
Most of the vehicles seen in the ditch are AWD.

Yup. And most of the people passing me by 15 km/h on the highway yesterday in the snowstorm were 17-25 years olds, many of them with a new driver green "N" on the back of their AWD vehicle.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC