Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying a RWD Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Morning all,

I did some searching but couldn't see a perfect answer.

I am looking at buying a used Model S and have seen a RWD car in almost perfect spec, but I am concerned that I would regret holding out for an AWD, even though never needed AWD in the UK before and current cars are RWD only.

So my question is to RWD owners, do you regret only having RWD, and also do you think it impacts the future resale in years to come?

Thanks in advance.

Dale (UK)

Morning all,

I did some searching but couldn't see a perfect answer.

I am looking at buying a used Model S and have seen a RWD car in almost perfect spec, but I am concerned that I would regret holding out for an AWD, even though never needed AWD in the UK before and current cars are RWD only.

So my question is to RWD owners, do you regret only having RWD, and also do you think it impacts the future resale in years to come?

Thanks in advance.

Dale (UK)

Having been to the UK, it would seem to me to be the ideal market for a RWD vehicle. You don't have to deal with the snow & crap on the roads that a lot of us do. Sure it will resell for less, but I expect that you can buy it now for less as well.

There's probably no perfect answer, which you asked for.
I have no regrets with my RWD, in nearly139,000 miles and more than 5 years.
IIRC, AWD cars in general are quicker than their RWD counterparts, but my "classic" S85 is quicker than anything I've owned before.
If you do get a "classic" RWD, you'll have the benefit of the extra large front trunk (aka "frunk", or front boot - froot?). I use mine often for objects that don't fit in the newer front trunk. Today I have a collapsing music stand (not a wire stand) and a trombone in there. In a newer car both would have to be in the back. It works great for me since I have to back into my garage.

Cheers for feedback so far all.
I plan to get the facelift version, so my understanding is the frunk is the same size RWD and AWD on these version, so no advantage there.
I appreciate the AWD is slightly faster and slightly better range, but I don't do alot of miles, and sure you might drove it like you stole it to show off to a few people, but in general I don't drive that fast anymore.

So for RWD car I can get a newer (more warranty), lower mileage, and slightly better spec, than a more expensive one with AWD.
I plan to keep the car a while, so trying not to make a stupid mistake.
I have driven an AWD Model S from Tesla sales, so need to compare to the RWD. I imagine it will struggle for grip off the line when booting it, and less sure footed in the corners, but imagine it will be better than my current RWD BMW 428 that I am currently happy with.

They didn't make RWD when I bought my S in 2013; and they didn't make RWD when I bought my 3 in 2018.

Both have been great and no regrets at all.

Summer of 2014 was great with my S and family -- which I am never getting back.

Summer of 2018 was great with our 3 -- my in-laws came from New Zealand and my wife took them all over southern BC and down into the States in our new 3.

Life's too short not to be driving a Tesla today (or actually 5 years ago).

I am concerned that I would regret holding out for an AWD

I bought before AP hardware rolled off the line. Not getting that should cause more regret than not getting AWD (especially since it just showed up for free). But I called out all the whiners in the long threads here -- pointing out they got what they paid for -- and to be happy for those who got it -- and not be the little boy who can't enjoy his one cookie because the kid next to him got two. I still look forward to driving my classic S every day and regrets are a state of mind to be ignored or replaced by being grateful for what you have.

I have both. RWD and AWD. I prefer RWD; it feels like you're being 'pushed'. AWD... feels like you're being 'pulled'.

Yes, so true. I had an AWD loaner for a week, to decide whether to get AP. It wasn't nearly as fun to drive. More safe, because it stayed more planted, but much less fun to drive. That applies to pretty much all vehicles when it comes to RWD vs AWD. Nothing beats RWD driving, unless you're dealing with snow. I find it more fun on water but you have to know how to steer in and out of slides, and not brake or steer hard.

Pros & Cons: Rear Drive, Front Drive Or All-Wheel Drive? - National Motorists Association

However, I am based in Southern California; I thought AWD would handle better... it was an unnecessary expense.

I'm on the wet coast of BC -- where we rarely get snow, so RWD is fine too, especially with the winter tires I put on. But I have a Tahoe hybrid for the mountain passes to my cabin in the winter.

Last edited:
My only regret with my 2016 75 RWD is that it isn't eligible for the "uncork" that the AWD models received after the fact, increasing power and lowering the 0-60 time by a second.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but had the performance difference been that dramatic when I bought the car, I would have probably ponied up the $5k extra for AWD.

As far as day-to-day driving, no regrets at all. I don't need AWD, basically ever. The range difference is negligible. I've had AWD loaners once or twice - the only real difference I noticed is more cabin noise from the front motor whine.

• Informative
Reactions: MIT_S60 and Canuck
I bought a 2013 MS RWD and have no regrets and dont really need AWD where I live or where I drive. Its all about how you plan on using the car. Mine is a commuter/daily driver so mostly freeway (stop and go 95% of the time, gottta love Seattle traffic).

I’ve got a facelift 75 RWD in the UK and have just passed 43,000 miles in it, no problem with the little bit of snow we get every few years! When I do get a AWD loaner I find the whine from the front motor quite noticeable.

My only regret with my 2016 75 RWD is that it isn't eligible for the "uncork" that the AWD models received after the fact, increasing power and lowering the 0-60 time by a second.

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but had the performance difference been that dramatic when I bought the car, I would have probably ponied up the $5k extra for AWD.

As far as day-to-day driving, no regrets at all. I don't need AWD, basically ever. The range difference is negligible. I've had AWD loaners once or twice - the only real difference I noticed is more cabin noise from the front motor whine.
Same boat here. I would have loved the extra performance from July 2017 S75 RWD models, but at the time of purchase it made no sense for me to spend the extra $5k for a vehicle that will never see snow, and it's still plenty fast compared with my previous vehicles.