Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret buying (or not buying) FSD?

If Tesla offered your money back for the FSD package, would you take it?

• Yes, I would take my money back if offered.

Votes: 27 8.7%
  • No, I am happy I bought the FSD package.

Votes: 118 38.1%
  • I did not buy FSD and I still would not, even if the price were reduced to $3,000.

Votes: 88 28.4%
  • I did not buy FSD but I'd buy it today if Tesla reduced the price back to $3,000.

Votes: 60 19.4%
  • Other. Explain in your post.

Votes: 17 5.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clock is ticking for off menu FSD ordering.

The spin is that Tesla is saving owners future regret by removing the option for them to do so. ;)
i guess, I have been wondering why the heck I ordered it. I mean I did so for the new computer and future updates, but I also wonder if i will still own the car by the time they release anything not included in eap already.

Could very well just be Tesla pulling a new demand letter. AP struggles in so many areas still that I can't see FSD coming any time soon, such means there may be no reason to upgrade the hardware in my car in it's lifetime.

Reactions: afadeev
i guess, I have been wondering why the heck I ordered it. I mean I did so for the new computer and future updates, but I also wonder if i will still own the car by the time they release anything not included in eap already.

Could very well just be Tesla pulling a new demand letter. AP struggles in so many areas still that I can't see FSD coming any time soon, such means there may be no reason to upgrade the hardware in my car in it's lifetime.

Some folks think that the new computer will solve all those problems that AP and EAP have now, and that once the software for the new computer is ready for release there will suddenly be a great leap forward.

I think the new computer will be a small step forward. But I just don't see Level 3 AP coming any time soon, and personally I won't pay for any new "features" at Level 2. For example, stop light recognition would be great, but if it's Level 2, meaning that it works most of the time but I still have to make the final decision, then I don't think it would be worth the price. Similarly, NoA/city would be very nice, but if it's Level 2 then I think it's pretty much useless. It needs to be Level 3 before it has real use because things like making left turns across traffic require so much more attention than lane-keeping on the highway.

If I'm wrong and the new computer achieves Level 3 for AP on the highway I will pay for it, and any additional features will be gravy.

I would take my $6000 back at this point. Misleading advertising (see below - "Really") and I would rather buy it later once the functionality I wanted was demonstrated reliable (in other words, not a gimmick or parlor trick). I'm also willing to wager the price won't go up on August 16th "as advertised" by the Charlatan, unless something major is released concurrent with that FSD price increase. That "public" statement could have just been a marketing ploy to boost FSD sales for the last month. Come August 16th, if the price doesn't go up, you might see another public statement saying it will go up when "X, Y or Z" is released, again boosting FSD sales. Time will tell... YMMV :)

Tesla BS.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: afadeev
I have paid 2k$ for FSD in March 2019, and I'm 100% happy with it:

1. Very low price;
2. I will get it immediately once available (starting with some new features for FSD only, which would be already great);
3. Secured HW upgrade (my car has 2.5 HW);
4. Secured potentially other upgrades (Tesla thinks everything hardware-wise is already in place, which may or may not be true, but I have the insurance in a form of Tesla promise);
5. I'm not worried too much about loosing the money - there will be thousands of people suing Tesla if they fail to deliver, and I will get my money back.

Looks like a great deal for me.

I have paid 2k$ for FSD in March 2019, and I'm 100% happy with it:

1. Very low price;
2. I will get it immediately once available (starting with some new features for FSD only, which would be already great);
3. Secured HW upgrade (my car has 2.5 HW);
4. Secured potentially other upgrades (Tesla thinks everything hardware-wise is already in place, which may or may not be true, but I have the insurance in a form of Tesla promise);
5. I'm not worried too much about loosing the money - there will be thousands of people suing Tesla if they fail to deliver, and I will get my money back.

Looks like a great deal for me.

Agreed, $2000 is a good deal and I would do that today as well. $6000 up front, less so.

I would take my $6000 back at this point. Misleading advertising (see below - "Really") and I would rather buy it later once the functionality I wanted was demonstrated reliable (in other words, not a gimmick or parlor trick). I'm also willing to wager the price won't go up on August 16th "as advertised" by the Charlatan, unless something major is released concurrent with that FSD price increase. That "public" statement could have just been a marketing ploy to boost FSD sales for the last month. Come August 16th, if the price doesn't go up, you might see another public statement saying it will go up when "X, Y or Z" is released, again boosting FSD sales. Time will tell... YMMV :)

View attachment 437911
What do we think is going to happen on August 16? I am planning on ordering a Model X sometime before the end of the year.

What do we think is going to happen on August 16? I am planning on ordering a Model X sometime before the end of the year.

I have no idea, but suspect nothing as I believe any FSD price increase will be tied to the release of new FSD-like functionality. Musk (affectionately known as "The Charlatan") is already waffling ("...sucks..." comments) on Enhanced Summon timing and v10 he's also waffling by saying something like, "...hopefully in August sometime..." Given schedule performance history of Tesla, I would suggest we won't see Enhanced Summon or v10 until sometime after the 8/16.

I go back and forth but as an early Model 3 owner with EAP I don’t see the value in FSD currently. It seems way too far in the future to be a reality. It’s currently $3,000 for me to go to FSD and I’m not biting. At $2,000 months back, which I had no idea about, it would have been tempting but I’m fairly certain I still wouldn’t have taken the plunge. I don’t use EAP as much as I thought I would. The tech is cool but still not 100% reliable. It’s a bit too conservative, which I get, for my driving style (even NoA still needs a lot of work). As others commented previously, I’m sure I’ll sell the car before FSD becomes usable, or even a reality.

Agreed, $2000 is a good deal and I would do that today as well. $6000 up front, less so.
Well it was $5k for EAP at purchase plus an additional $2000 in march. Same thing I purchased.

NOA is part of EAP as well. I have that, it's certainly level 2 and I don't use it because it annoys other drivers. I mean it can work, and that is impressive, but it isn't impressing other drivers when you turn your signal on and it sits their waiting for them to let you over when they are not going to, or when it signals for you to move over and they do open a space, but it's too small for the car to decide to move into. Also mine does not seem to work on some carpool lane interchanges, so you have to shut it off anyways. Sometimes I'll turn it on jsut so that it starts nagging me to change lanes when im in an unfamiliar area so that I know my exit is coming up (mostly useful from carpool lane, but like I said it does not always do this properly anyways)

However if when I get the new computer it unlocks the camera resolution and all AP style features work better and also if it improves the dash-camera then I will feel it is worth it. I think it is likely that this will be the case.

Last edited:
I bought the $3k FSD add on to EAP back in December 2017. Back then there was language on the website about EAP using 4 cameras and to get 8 cameras, you needed FSD. Granted, that language never appeared on the 3 order page, which only had a sentence that FSD would allow my car to drive to my destination without my input.

I thought buying FSD would allow me to be on the front end of the features as they released as well as additional reliability and safety with those extra camera inputs. I was hoping the first FSD stuff might be Level 3 in limited highway situations (maybe true eyes and hands off in stop and go under 40mph for example). It was a speculative purchase, but one I hoped Tesla would reward me with being part of the front end of FSD.

Fast forward to today. Now I see the FSD features are city NoA and stoplight/stopsign recognition plus new hardware is required. Zero "legacy" FSD package features have been released. No mention of any hands off options for highway driving. I now will no longer be on the front of the feature release because I will have to wait for a retrofit, so there goes that perk for being an early adopter.

Given what I know today, I am not sure I would have bought FSD over EAP again. If Tesla offered my money back, I would be torn. On the one hand, I doubt I will ever use the city FSD features as I bet they will all be Level 2, which seems pointless and possibly more work than manual driving. On the other hand, the money was spent a long time ago, so I would be tempted to cash it in for the hardware upgrade alone and just enjoy my EAP.

Luckily for me, Tesla will never offer us refunds unless under a court order. So I might as well just enjoy the ride.

Given that, according to Elon, Enhanced Summon "still sucks", no, I do not regret foregoing "Full Self Driving" (even the name itself is total lie, as it implies Level 5 autonomous capability, something Tesla and others won't achieve for at least another 5-10 years).

Didn't get it, don't expect to. I'm all the way back at no AP, so it would be $9K to get all the way to FSD. That's 25% of what I paid for the whole freaking car! I'm still hoping Tesla will allow me a 14 day trial, partly to see whether AP would be worth getting, and partly just so I get to experience it for a bit. Emailed support and they claim they will start offering the trial as part of a future software upgrade, but I'm beginning to doubt them.

Full Self-Driving Capability Trial

What's FSD?

FSD means very different things, depending on context. In one context it means the car drives itself. No human needed. In another context it is the name of a package of unspecified and as-yet-unavailable features sold by Tesla. Pay now, get the features later. Maybe.

Is it real?

Yes and no: Yes, you can really buy the "package." No, none of the features in the package exist yet outside of Tesla's in-house testing and development.

Is there money-back-guarantee if it doesn't work?

The promised features will not be released to customers' cars until they work. There is no guarantee that this will happen during the average useful life of these cars.

ETA: And the features might still be Level 2 for a long time, whereas Musk's promise that the car could be used as a robo-taxi means categorically that it would have to be Level 5.

Reactions: davewill
Great episode today on The Artificial Intelligence Podcast (with Lex Fridman). Tesla autonomy is discussed. As has been consistent with everyone else actively working on autonomous driving systems, this interviewee has his doubts about Tesla’s timeline, although he does agree that Tesla will be first (to level 5).