Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The lane change behavior you describe is part of the basic Autopilot package, no? "Automatic Lane Change" (as part of FSD) = your car will select the most appropriate lane autonomously. Basic Autopilot lane change = your car will execute a lane change itself when you give the command via turn stalk & it is safe for car to do so, i.e. car in blind spot detection.

No, the basic autopilot in the model Y does not do ANY lane changing. If it does, it's never worked for me.

When I had my 3 with EAP, it did change lanes when I used the turn signal. I was not in Navigation on Autopilot mode, so it was basic Autopilot.

I think y'all are talking about different things when you're using the phrase "basic Autopilot".

"Basic" Autopilot is what Tesla made standard/free in 2019 on new Teslas when they stopped offering Enhanced Autopilot (EAP) and rolled most of the EAP features into FSD, essentially rebranding both Autopilot and FSD.

So now "basic" Autopilot is just referred to as "Autopilot" by Tesla. This "basic" Autopilot does not have the ability to perform lane changes.

Enhanced Autopilot can do lane changes -- either initiated automatically when Navigate on Autopilot (NoA) is active, or initiated manually when NoA is off by flipping on a turn signal. But when NoA is NOT active, you are still using Enhanced Autopilot, not "basic" Autopilot.

• Informative
Reactions: RNHurt
discounting people who upgrade to a new vehicle would be a fair thing to do, especially if they owned FSD when the deadlines kept slipping.

This is a great idea. Maybe even ethically, the right thing to do. If we bought into this FSD option thats still not come to fruition, then let us keep it if we decide to upgrade to a new Tesla. Then, I would think even more buyers would opt for this upgrade.

Reactions: richyrich
I didn't get it initially for my Y, and when the EAP for 4K showed up last month, I waffled. At the last minute (almost), I went ahead and spent the 8K for FSD. I already had it on my 3, so I thought that having the same capabilities in both cars was a good idea. With the price going up to 10K next week, and the new features showing up soon (I hope), I'm glad I did.

BTW, I wonder what the FSD upgrade will cost next week for those who bought the 4K EAP last month. Adding FSD after that was 5K - so 7K next week?

I don’t get it. If I purchase FSD for $8000, does that increase the value of my Tesla? Probably not! If I trade it back to Tesla, they have no incentive to increase the value of my trade in. Tesla can add FSD to any Tesla at no cost and thus increase the value of the trade in or they can resell FSD to the next owner at full price. If I sell my Tesla privately, the new owner may not want FSD and thus be unwilling to pay for it or the new owner can add FSD at any time in the future. I would have to discount the FSD in order to entice the new owner. The only thing that makes sense is that FSD, EAP or AB should stay with my account and be easily transferred to a new Tesla. Software can be added by Tesla to any car at any time at no cost representing pure profit by selling the same software over and over again! Am I Wrong....please comment.

No, after retiring due to COVID being HIGH RISK with CPOD, we have driven our new MY 1741 miles since we took delivery on July 28th. All of our family is out of state and until it's SAFE we are not traveling. So given my situation, FSD would have been a HUGE waste of money. Like the $3K price reduction, and we opted down from the PMY to the LR AWD and we took all that $$$ and bought Tesla stock. At some future date, FSD may be valuable for us. Until then our money is in Tesla stock. Also, the graphics look like something from an Atari game from decades ago, surly Tesla can do better?

A guy named Tesla Raj already wrote such a tweet to Elon. He asked about being able to transfer FSD to a new car. Elon actually responded and said something like he would consider it. I will try to find it the tweet.
Check it out.

https://twitter.com/tesla_raj/status/1319036405796929537

Tesla Raj should have spun the increased revenue aspect. With a transferable FSD, there would be more buyers(especially those on the fence) who would pull the trigger. Equates to more revenue and up goes TSLA stock price! That would really perk up Elon’s interest

Reactions: seniorcitizen
A guy named Tesla Raj already wrote such a tweet to Elon. He asked about being able to transfer FSD to a new car. Elon actually responded and said something like he would consider it. I will try to find it the tweet.
Check it out.

https://twitter.com/tesla_raj/status/1319036405796929537

I can't seem to see what question he actually asked? Probably just me and Twitter.

I'm not sure we need a permanent "FSD transfer" option - it sounds like that might be what he asked. What I was suggesting was that there's maybe a temporary offer for people who had FSD for the last 2-3 years (across multiple "end of year" promises) and have now upgraded to another Tesla, at which point your option is to pay all over again. I don't think there's a super-strong case for it (since we in theory got extra for our traded/sold car) but worth floating to him and it wouldn't be hard for them to find people who are eligible.

I can't seem to see what question he actually asked? Probably just me and Twitter.

I'm not sure we need a permanent "FSD transfer" option - it sounds like that might be what he asked. What I was suggesting was that there's maybe a temporary offer for people who had FSD for the last 2-3 years (across multiple "end of year" promises) and have now upgraded to another Tesla, at which point your option is to pay all over again. I don't think there's a super-strong case for it (since we in theory got extra for our traded/sold car) but worth floating to him and it wouldn't be hard for them to find people who are eligible.
See the attached image of the question.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.25.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-23 at 11.25.33 AM.png
    285 KB · Views: 200
Had it on my model 3 before it was totaled and used it every day I drove. Loved it...got my money back from insurance and it included fsd I paid. Got my Y without FSD and missed it badly so I bought it again and zero regrets...esp since I see that it can drive on streets now. I can’t wait to get my upgrade.
I typically keep my car for 10 years so it’s worth every dime. If I leased or changed frequently, I’ll think hard before making a decision.

Reactions: seniorcitizen
Had it on my model 3 before it was totaled and used it every day I drove. Loved it...got my money back from insurance and it included fsd I paid. Got my Y without FSD and missed it badly so I bought it again and zero regrets...esp since I see that it can drive on streets now. I can’t wait to get my upgrade.
I typically keep my car for 10 years so it’s worth every dime. If I leased or changed frequently, I’ll think hard before making a decision.
Same exact thing happened to me. My M3P w/FSD was totaled, insurance covered the added FSD cost. Bought a Model Y without any upgraded software and missed it. Just pulled the trigger on adding FSD and love it!