Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No regrets. I trust it to do lane changes, and in the first month it prevented an accident that would have totaled the car. Idiot passed me on the right weaving between lanes. FSD aborted the lane change before I saw the car. I was doing 65, he flew past me. I like stop light detection, it makes the decision on whether to make a yellow. One more source of stress eliminated. We expect to retire the car to the Tesla network eventually, so it may pay for itself, and the car too :)

No regrets. I trust it to do lane changes, and in the first month it prevented an accident that would have totaled the car. Idiot passed me on the right weaving between lanes. FSD aborted the lane change before I saw the car. I was doing 65, he flew past me. I like stop light detection, it makes the decision on whether to make a yellow. One more source of stress eliminated. We expect to retire the car to the Tesla network eventually, so it may pay for itself, and the car too :)

The lane change behavior you describe is part of the basic Autopilot package, no? "Automatic Lane Change" (as part of FSD) = your car will select the most appropriate lane autonomously. Basic Autopilot lane change = your car will execute a lane change itself when you give the command via turn stalk & it is safe for car to do so, i.e. car in blind spot detection.

The lane change behavior you describe is part of the basic Autopilot package, no? "Automatic Lane Change" (as part of FSD) = your car will select the most appropriate lane autonomously. Basic Autopilot lane change = your car will execute a lane change itself when you give the command via turn stalk & it is safe for car to do so, i.e. car in blind spot detection.
No, the basic autopilot in the model Y does not do ANY lane changing. If it does, it's never worked for me.

Reactions: RNHurt
Literally my only reason for buying. Driving would be that feature. I would gladly pay $500 for just the ability to use it and none of the other Full Self Driving features.

But I figured I can change my own lanes for $8000 in savings
Exactly. I'd submit that it's actually kind of dangerous to have AP disable on lane changes. I have caught myself thinking that AP was on after a lane change when actually I was driving.

Not in the least! It will only go up in price, so I'm glad I got it when I did. I did order my Model Y when it was $7K, but they dropped the MY LR price by $3K, so I got the discount...it upped my FSD price to the current $8K, but overall I saved $2K so it made complete sense.

I use mine all of the time, and especially like the auto lane change and auto exit/enter. It's a big part of why I like having a Tesla.

Having to disengage and re-engage auto-pilot (had for a week before I bought FSD) every lane change really takes away much of it's value for my commute.

I wonder, if the price of the car was 8k more and FSD was included and there was no option to remove it, would people that didn't buy FSD feel like the car wasn't worth the price and wouldn't have bought? For me, I would still buy it (and I paid for FSD).

FSD in it's theory is going to be amazing. In the real world, it's just not ready yet. the basic autopilot is great and functional, but $8K now for essentially a few other uses isn't worth it. Has it been said the price is only going up? Sure, but who knows if that holds true. IMO it's got a ways to go.

I think everyone knows what they are getting both now and the value this holds in the future for paid $8K for it so doubtful many regret it, while on the other side of the fence, people like me see $8K much better spent elsewhere.

Reactions: house9
I like being a beta tester, seem like I'm helping to have better and safer cars on the road in the future. 8K is a bit high, I got it all for 5k back in the day, I just have so much fun driving the car, it's hard to put a price on fun.

This is a great response and was also my motivation for buying FSD when I did. Getting to play with new features as they roll out does have value and if you're willing to pay and go in with that expectation then go for it. I also have fun being a beta tester of sorts and watching the system improve over time. Being on the bleeding edge of technology is a big reason many buy a Tesla. Having said that if someone expects FSD to be as functional as Autopilot then at this point they are likely to be pretty disappointed in their purchase.

If they don’t, someone else will. There’s a lot of money to be made for 3rd Party updates or upgrades
I'm guessing that Tesla will never allow that, considering the software is a critical safety system. Of course people will hack the system but that would be a good reason to reject any warranty claims if you end up with a 'bricked' car.

Allowing companies to write entertainment plugins would be possible though as that's running on a completely different processor.

I'm guessing that Tesla will never allow that, considering the software is a critical safety system. Of course people will hack the system but that would be a good reason to reject any warranty claims if you end up with a 'bricked' car.

Allowing companies to write entertainment plugins would be possible though as that's running on a completely different processor.
They are going to brick someone’s car for installing a software update from a 3rd party?

I don’t think so.

Unless you don’t really own the car that you...own...