Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I paid $5K for EAP, and $3K for FSD back when I bought my Model 3 in 2018. I'm happy with $3K for FSD as I got HW3 upgrade, but I don't feel like I got anywhere close to $5K of value out of EAP.

Would I pay $8K today for FSD on a new vehicle? I don't think the $8K for FSD will last much longer unless something major is added.

At this point you have to have a religious level of faith to believe in FSD so strongly that it's worth $8K over what AP already does. Or you're the kind that really likes trying out bleeding edge stuff even when it doesn't work all that great. I'm one of those people, and why I originally paid for FSD.

But, my god does it suck. NoA has always sucked for me, and Smart Summons can't complete a 10 out of 10 tries functionality test. It always seems to find new ways to fail.

At the very least I would wait until the rewrite was finished before even considering plopping down $8K for it. Now this assumes you have a Model Y.

I'm guessing that Tesla will never allow that, considering the software is a critical safety system. Of course people will hack the system but that would be a good reason to reject any warranty claims if you end up with a 'bricked' car.

Allowing companies to write entertainment plugins would be possible though as that's running on a completely different processor.
Allow, lol. That’s the point, as what I’m suggesting wouldn’t need Tesla’s permission- you would be leaving them and their poor warranty. No longer at their discretion and “clarifications”.

Tesla’s greatness is in the machine that builds the machine. Post-production is ripe for others to come in with better customer service and fleet management imo. With these things being computers, big data and insurance go hand-in-hand.

I wouldn't pay for FSD again. I never use anything beyond basic AP. It's great the cost of FSD has gone up and slightly negates some of the depreciation hit, but I still don't see any killer application yet over basic AP. I use basic AP way more often than NoA or Summon. The auto
lane change is nice but not worth the price of admission. The stop-sign recognition and traffic light visualization is neat too but I don't use it regularly because it feels like I have to pay even more attention to it and approve green lights versus just driving myself and scanning ahead.

That's not what I meant. I mean a rogue sw update might accidentally make the car stop working.
So could a Tesla update, or at least work poorly. Like the self-park currently is liable to cause a collision. And Tesla may “clarify“ their warranty now anyways.

It’s not rogue- it’s going with 3rd party providers solely dedicated to better fleet service and support. It won’t be hard to surpass Tesla’s draconian approach. If their product has an issue, they’ll actually provide you a loaner and stick to their warranty!

Unless Tesla improves, once there are millions of used Tesla’s, there will be billions to be made.

For those who buy the FSD with the car, it raises the price of the car, for a better business tax deduction. So 8K add on may only cost you 5K after the write off, and when you sell car I'm sure that add on will be worth at least 5K at that time, something to think about.

I bought FSD primarily for use on long-distance highway driving. I use Navigate on Autopilot a lot and think it works well.
I don't regret buying it, but that said, I don't trust it yet for driving local roads.
I notice you are considering towing a boat. Be sure you look carefully at the offset restrictions on the Tesla hitch max 8.5" shank and max 3/4" rise for the ball mount. This really limits what can be towed since a lot of trailers require a lot more than a 3/4" rise for the ball mount.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtK
Feature for feature, it hasn't paid off so far. But it's not just that. The thrill I get about owning a Tesla is how it's continually getting better (OTA updates for example). Getting betas for FSD is fun and something that I really enjoy about owning this car. I don't think we'll get full robo-taxi anytime soon, and I'm not even sure I'd keep the MY forever or long enough to see that, but I'm happy with the $5K I spent on FSD because of being part of something so early.

I would categorize myself as an early adopter type. I like trying all the new things, and that experience is what makes it worth it for me, rather than 1:1 comparisons on each feature.

Feature for feature, it hasn't paid off so far. But it's not just that. The thrill I get about owning a Tesla is how it's continually getting better (OTA updates for example). Getting betas for FSD is fun and something that I really enjoy about owning this car. I don't think we'll get full robo-taxi anytime soon, and I'm not even sure I'd keep the MY forever or long enough to see that, but I'm happy with the $5K I spent on FSD because of being part of something so early.

I would categorize myself as an early adopter type. I like trying all the new things, and that experience is what makes it worth it for me, rather than 1:1 comparisons on each feature.
I'm the same, I like being a Beta tester, look forward to all OTA's my car is so fun to drive, I have a 2017 MS75 with all the upgrades. Give me more

Reactions: noshadow
A little regret. It is a nice-to-have kind of feature that I believe I didn't fully utilize. At this point, it's all bragging rights.

I have it on my 3, but I am trading it for a Y. I probably won't get it for the Y because I can't justify the price. Maybe in the future when FSD is deemed safer than driving manually, it will become the standard for all vehicles without the large price tag. Haha.

Also, I really wished they would let you roll over your FSD since they disable it when they resell the car anyway.

It was never a financial investment for me. I wanted to be part of the Tesla experience. I haven't regretted it for a day. Sometimes the journey is better than the destination, who knows if we will get to level 5, I'm just enjoying the ride and like so many others have said i get a little giddy when i have a new update

• Funny
Reactions: MY-Y
A little regretful that I bought it on my M3 and ended up only keeping it for a couple of years so not seeing much value. I take 99% responsibility - I could have thought ahead a bit more, but then again based on the Elon-promises I should have had a self driving car for one of those two years. Even if they don't move licenses with owners (which I think would have its own headaches), discounting people who upgrade to a new vehicle would be a fair thing to do, especially if they owned FSD when the deadlines kept slipping.

I didn't buy FSD on my Y - the only thing I miss is lane change but that's not worth $12,000 (Canada). It will be interesting to see full self driving but given the reduction in the amount of driving I'm doing thanks to COVID I don't think the value would even be there for me. Add to that 4-5 months of serious winter which I personally think will degrade FSD functionality for a while yet (but I wait to be proved wrong).

Reactions: captanzuelo