Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now you get very little value over normal autopilot. I've tried 'navigate on autopilot' and it's not very smart (deciding to change lanes behind a slow truck for example). The extra features aren't something one would use in real driving. I'm hoping that the future will have features that are useful for 'normal' driving conditions.

I have a loaner M3 while my MY gets the new car tiny adjustments. I don’t have FSD, but the M3 does. I just used it to parallel park and it was pretty awesome, faster then I would have done it without the chance of wheel rash (I assume?). Easily worth 1k just for that living in the city. Does parking in garage not work in reverse, I didn’t see the prompt.

This is a good test run anyway, going to take some short trips and use NAV more. Can’t see myself owning this car for 5+ years and not wanting FSD in a year or so.

We bought FSD for $3000 for both of our Model 3s in 2018 and I am really glad that we did (this was under the old EAP/FSD system).

There were so many skeptics who tried to discourage anyone from buying, focusing only on the current capabilities and not the future potential. Just like now.
Depends how I look at it.... I'm HAPPY that in 2016 I paid 8K for EAP+FSD combined.... but back then the AWD S90D price (excluding AP/FSD) was $101k (plus dest/doc/taxes).

But it has unlimited (transferrable) supercharging and lifetime connectivity.

But I choose to buy the $2500 MCU2 upgrade to get HW3.

But it has ultra white perforated (ventilated) seats that are currently not available.

And I've had almost four years of trouble free driving.

Ok, I give up. I'll just be happy with what I got for what I pad, and am looking forward to the FSD download!!!!

Reactions: seniorcitizen
If I add FSD to my existing order (which is on hold until 01/01/2021) can I remove it before taking delivery if I decide I don't want it?

Can't specifically answer your question, but when I placed a reservation last month, I was told to order it to protect against a price increase and that I could remove it later if I wanted. I ordered with FSD for pickup in March, however, after seeing the videos of the FSD beta, I'm definitely keeping it.

For folks who are leasing they can get FSD now for $100 per month. This may be cheaper than renting as renting may end up being more expensive per month.

Where did you see the $100/mo price? At that rate it would be a steal since it would take over 8 years to reach the price of FSD (and FSD doesn’t transfer with new vehicles). I think monthly rental will be much more, possibly $200 to $300 a month. Musk mentioned it “wouldn’t be a good deal” compared to buying. $250/mo would put it in a more reasonable just over 3 year break even point. That would allow leases to pay basically the same price as people buying.

For folks who are leasing they can get FSD now for $100 per month. This may be cheaper than renting as renting may end up being more expensive per month.

Assuming (guessing) the average ownership of a Tesla is 3-4 years, then at the upcoming $10k price, FSD works out at between $208 and $270 per month. To make economic sense to Tesla, this means either Tesla must charge more than this for FSD rental, OR they will need to lower the FSD purchase price (or switch to entirely rental based model for new customers). Or they must bet on some people owning the cars longer-term and buying FSD outright, while everyone else pays rental.

Where did you see the $100/mo price? At that rate it would be a steal since it would take over 8 years to reach the price of FSD (and FSD doesn’t transfer with new vehicles). I think monthly rental will be much more, possibly $200 to $300 a month. Musk mentioned it “wouldn’t be a good deal” compared to buying. $250/mo would put it in a more reasonable just over 3 year break even point. That would allow leases to pay basically the same price as people buying.
you will never see $100.00 month for FSD, more like $300.00 or more. it will be best to buy it

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
I was thinking of leasing MY. For 3 year lease with 10000 miles and 4500 down the difference win monthly payment with and without FSD was $100. However Tesla lease does not allow us to buy the car at the end of lease. So 3 year cost of using FSD was $3600. If Tesla offers rental the monthly cost may be much higher than $100. I will not be surprised by $250-$300 per month.