Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those of you that have the Full Self Driving
If you had to do it over again, would you do it at the current $8k price?

I've been teetering on the ledge wanting to order a model Y.
All along I've pretty much decided that I would include the FSD.

Anyway, my biggest tripping point is load/towing capacity. I have a boat, and while the gross weight of it is well within the capacity for the Y, the tongue weight is just a bit high as the trailer is configured right now. That coupled with the limited cargo capacity in the car, it's not the ideal thing for me. It's close though.... and seems to be about the best choice for me to get into an EV.

That said, my other tipping point is overall price.
So, that set me to thinking about the $8k for FSD. Honestly I'm not sure how much I'd really use it as it is currently...or even if FSD comes reality. I do like the idea of it though...and want it for the tech. Still, $8,000.....

So anyway, would you buy it again?

BLW2, I'm planning to wait and see. Musk says the price will continue to go up, but the history of Tesla upgrades show that they eventually come down or become included. When the S70 and 75 co-existed, you could pay $3,250 to "unlock" the bigger battery that was actually in your delivered car. There was a time when 60 owners could pay $8,500 to "unlock" their car via software to a 75. I think after the early adopters pay full price they will eventually run "specials" to unlock the upgrade for $2k-$3k, especially if this would result in a giant cash influx at the end of a quarter to make numbers (easy money).

Like some of the other posters, my S75 has EAP but I never use smart summon, auto park, navigate on autopilot, or auto lane change. Just the fancy cruise control that says in the lanes (basic autopilot).

I will only see $8,000-$10,000 of value in FSD if I can drive/ride to work and be dropped off by the car and then *send the robot car home* for my wife to commute to a different location. (One car, two commutes). I don't really see regulators allowing that in the near future.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
whoops, thought you were talking about robo taxi

yes, if you can opt in and out of FSD monthly, we’ll opt in each of the 3 months per year that we take road trips and opt out the other 9.

But that depends on the value add of FSD .. ATM yes it's value is on freeways, but if the beta is anything to go by, and it can take care of a good part of your daily commute in traffic, what then? I think Tesla are betting on something like that, but I don't see how the current price model can sustain it. The full purchase price would suggest a high monthly rental fee ($250-$300) if they dont want to destroy outright purchases, but that's not a sustainable rental fee. If they go for a more reasonable rental fee ($100-$150 perhaps) then they will be forced to lower the full purchase price, since it will be too hight and everyone will rent.

At the end of the day of course, its the area under the price graph that counts .. they will want to maximize total FSD income, and will tinker with the price model to do that. They may even change to make the full purchase price transferable (i.e. you own it outright and can move it from car to car), which would make sense from a customer retention point of view once they see more EV competition.

Last edited:
I was thinking of leasing MY. For 3 year lease with 10000 miles and 4500 down the difference win monthly payment with and without FSD was $100. However Tesla lease does not allow us to buy the car at the end of lease. So 3 year cost of using FSD was $3600. If Tesla offers rental the monthly cost may be much higher than $100. I will not be surprised by $250-$300 per month.
I wouldn't put any money down on a lease. Check the BMW forums - lots of info re leasing there, not trying to hijack this thread.. :eek:

• Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I don’t regret buying FSD but I think 10k is max I would pay. Once it gets above that the price is hard to justify

At the end of the day it is the total price of the car your buying. The cars that GM, Lucid and Riveriaan are going to make it tough to charge much more for FSD and we are seeing the upper limit they can charge.

FSD was the best option choice no question. WHY but a Tesla and omit the One thing that makes it special? Like buying a 10k stereo receiver and installing radio shack speakers on it lol.

I agree with this statement. I placed the order earlier this month and did not choose FSD. At that time I was thinking of leasing it. Later on I decided to purchase the car. Even without beta release I had misgivings about missing out one of the best features of Tesla. I am an early adopter of technology and don't mind paying for it. I did not know about price increase and I was thinking of buying FSD later this year using credit card to get points. Release of early beta along with the price increase convinced me to buy it now. I just took a leap of faith and upgraded to full FSD. In my case I hold on to cars for a long time. I have multiple cars so each car gets less miles so they last. Unless something changes I will hold on to MY for 7-8 years. I am still not sure FSD will fully work in this time. However there will be plenty of improvements in new features that I can try to now and will try in future. I have zero interest in robo taxi.

There is no way FSD is worth 10k in its current condition. By the time it's "worth" getting, you would probably want a new car anyways and will be paying "again" for another FSD at "higher" price. So you are paying to be a beta tester for your future purchase again by the time it's fully capable....

Think about that. If they want to sell it like a software, then license it that way. Does my MS office license goes away if I switched to a new computer? Nope.

If Tesla wants FSD data from it's beta testing, it should be PAYING us to turn it on or at least give it away when it's beta and charge when it's in full working order.

Well, is an assumption but given that AP2 and AP2.5 people that purchased FSD had their hardware swapped out for AP3, I'm guessing that if it turns out that AP3 can't do it, Tesla would swap it out to whatever would.
You would hope so but given the new arrays they’re testing for the next gen cars I would bet AP3 is jettisoned just like AP1 was with only legacy support remaining. Just another rung on the way to Level 4, 5.