Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super happy I paid 7k for it during the pre-order. With all the FSD beta hype im even more excited. Car value has already gone up 3k, and once the beta is released im sure it will be worth the 10k, and when regulators approve hopefully next year and this thing can literally make money for you im sure well be selling these for 20k more than we bought them :D

and you will be paying 20k for the FSD in your new Tesla,:)

Pushing the concept of depreciation aside, the reality is that other manufacturing are catching up. Remember MobileEye? Its on BMW and MB now. With the latest update EyeQ 5, BMW is almost as good as the default AP we get. Audi has traffic light detection. Why do you think many of the "Enhanced" features are now part of the default AP?

I agree with this statement. I placed the order earlier this month and did not choose FSD. At that time I was thinking of leasing it. Later on I decided to purchase the car. Even without beta release I had misgivings about missing out one of the best features of Tesla. I am an early adopter of technology and don't mind paying for it. I did not know about price increase and I was thinking of buying FSD later this year using credit card to get points. Release of early beta along with the price increase convinced me to buy it now. I just took a leap of faith and upgraded to full FSD. In my case I hold on to cars for a long time. I have multiple cars so each car gets less miles so they last. Unless something changes I will hold on to MY for 7-8 years. I am still not sure FSD will fully work in this time. However there will be plenty of improvements in new features that I can try to now and will try in future. I have zero interest in robo taxi.

It seems you have disposable income so it's your money, your choice. But we are talking about value of the product, since you put less miles on your car, we will assume you drive 7k miles per year, keeping your car for 8 years. You are then paying about 14 cents per miles driven for FSD features. That's almost the price of per kWH changed.... Breaking down further, you are driving 135 miles on avg on 7k per year. This means you are paying about $20 per week, $80 per month for a feature that you may or may not use.

I bet the monthly subscription for FSD will probably come in around that if they ever push that model out, $80-$100 per month.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ElectricIAC
I spent a lot of time this past weekend watching the FSD videos. Its looking promising and closer than I thought. :)

Personally, I don't think I'll put my car on Tesla's ride-sharing service, but I can imagine that other owners will. In the future, I think Tesla and others will offer a remote driver option where someone can request a real driver wearing a VR headset (not in the car) that will drive you around. The remote driver might be using FSD, but mostly monitoring and intervening when necessary.

• Informative
I read (perhaps in this thread at some point) that they charge sales tax for FSD? I can imagine if it’s rolled into the total cost of the car when buying new that they treat it like any other option.

I assume that if you add FSD as a separate upgrade after buying the car that they still charge sales tax for it?

I still have another ten months before my current lease is up and I order a Tesla, so trying to decide what to do on the FSD front.

• Informative
FSD is neither perfect nor worth $7000 dollars. It is a mostly beta software . The reason i got it because what Tesla is trying is revolutionary. If Tesla is successful (a big if) then i want to be a part of it . I like gadgets and it gives me satisfaction that i am driving something which is atleast couple of years ahead of its competitor.

It seems you have disposable income so it's your money, your choice. But we are talking about value of the product, since you put less miles on your car, we will assume you drive 7k miles per year, keeping your car for 8 years. You are then paying about 14 cents per miles driven for FSD features. That's almost the price of per kWH changed.... Breaking down further, you are driving 135 miles on avg on 7k per year. This means you are paying about $20 per week, $80 per month for a feature that you may or may not use.

I bet the monthly subscription for FSD will probably come in around that if they ever push that model out, $80-$100 per month.

I cannot disagree with anything you said. Paying $8000 for this is not a "Value based" decision.
I have been putting in 10K miles per years on my 2 cars so I did not even need a new car at all.
I wanted Electric car and Tesla makes the best electric cars at this time.
Since I chose to buy Tesla I also opted to roll the dice on getting FSD so I can experience features that will be released under the FSD umbrella.
If Elon was not threatening $2000 price increase on 10/29 I would have waited it out until subscription is released.
I will be really pleasantly surprised if the subscription cost is around $100 per month. My guess is that it will be closer to $300 per month.

Unless somebody here has a direct line to Elon for his input, I guess it is a wait and see. Personally I do not think $100 per month is realistic given the current FSD pricing and how FSD is non-transferable at the moment. However should Tesla decide to let us FSD adopters transfer our FSD purchase to a new Tesla later on, then a $100 per month subscription model becomes a little more plausible, but that price point is still wishful thinking. I drive my cars for a long time, I have one that is almost 16 years old and another that is 20, so unless something unusual happens to my MY, that $7k FSD will be amortized over a long period and no subscription model will be cheaper for me. But that all depends on when we actually get a mature FSD that we can use. So we are all playing the odds here, rolling the dice and waiting for the outcome...

• Helpful
I cannot disagree with anything you said. Paying $8000 for this is not a "Value based" decision.

I can't disagree, but what about those who choose the M3 performance (with a similar price premium to FSD)? Is that a "value based" decision? I suspect many who have the M3P never race it at a track, and just like the exhilaration of flooring it from time to time (or even just knowing they CAN floor it). The fact is, "value" is subjective, and follows personal interests/passions. That's why there is no right or wrong answer to the OP question .. each of us must make an FSD choice based on our perceived personal evaluation.

Super happy I paid 7k for it during the pre-order. With all the FSD beta hype im even more excited. Car value has already gone up 3k, and once the beta is released im sure it will be worth the 10k, and when regulators approve hopefully next year and this thing can literally make money for you im sure well be selling these for 20k more than we bought them :D

I’ll have whatever he’s smoking please.

I read (perhaps in this thread at some point) that they charge sales tax for FSD? I can imagine if it’s rolled into the total cost of the car when buying new that they treat it like any other option.

I assume that if you add FSD as a separate upgrade after buying the car that they still charge sales tax for it?

I still have another ten months before my current lease is up and I order a Tesla, so trying to decide what to do on the FSD front.
Depends if you are counting on any incentives.

Just picked up my Y yesterday and on the fence about FSD. I know that at the moment if you trade the car to Tesla the license disappears but I understand that in a private party sale it stays with the car. Any data points as to how much of its cost is recouped at that point? Kbb doesn’t show it as an option.

$8-10k seems really steep, but since software doesn’t necessarily depreciate like the hardware (and may actually appreciate as features are added and the price goes up), being able to get possibly the majority of that back (or at least a substantial chunk) in a number of years when moving on from the car would certainly help justify it.

• Funny
Just picked up my Y yesterday and on the fence about FSD. I know that at the moment if you trade the car to Tesla the license disappears but I understand that in a private party sale it stays with the car. Any data points as to how much of its cost is recouped at that point? Kbb doesn’t show it as an option.

$8-10k seems really steep, but since software doesn’t necessarily depreciate like the hardware (and may actually appreciate as features are added and the price goes up), being able to get possibly the majority of that back (or at least a substantial chunk) in a number of years when moving on from the car would certainly help justify it.
Don't buy FSD expecting to get one red cent in added resale value for it.

Buy it because you intend to put it to good use. Buy it because it makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

One key thing to remember if you buy FSD is that if it turns out it requires new hardware, you are ensuring that Tesla will swap yours out if need be. That was a big reason I bought it. I wanted to future proof my car a bit.
Hahaha.. good luck with “future proofing”
Checkout MCU1/FSD discussion on S forum. Tesla will find a way to screw you.

• Love
I didn't get it back in March and happy I didn't. I barely use AP and I just did a TX to KS and back weekend trip. (Now cruise control is awesome.) That said it's relative to the value of money and cool factor. If I actually went anywhere summons would be cool'io and I got my cool factor with Homelink....which btw works from you Tesla app which is really nice when you're not actually in your Y.