Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret paying for Full Self Driving?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't get it back in March and happy I didn't. I barely use AP and I just did a TX to KS and back weekend trip. (Now cruise control is awesome.) That said it's relative to the value of money and cool factor. If I actually went anywhere summons would be cool'io and I got my cool factor with Homelink....which btw works from you Tesla app which is really nice when you're not actually in your Y.
I use AP a lot, yesterday it snowed here, AP didn't work, and had to do a 20mi drive, mostly Hwy, some city streets, and could not use my AP, to be honest I was a bit tried, If I had to do 200mi trip, I would be wore out. But using AP all the time like I do, may not be a good thing to get use to.

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
At First it didn't seem to work all that great, I was a bit scared, But keep using it, then it was EAP, after awhile, either I got better or the car did, very glad I have it, as for value, I don't think you will get much, you never really known until the time comes. I have a 2017 MS75 with all the upgrades, MCU2, HW3, AP3, FSD Computer, that may help with more value.

• Informative
"FSD" is ironically going to require more attention and alertness for the next year or so. If you really believe in Tesla to solve this problem you are way better off putting the money into their stock if you want a value proposition.
I felt the same at first, my hands were so tight on the wheel, but I just kept using it, was EAP then, took about a week before I got relaxed using EAP. Yesterday here it snowed, and I could not use FSD, cameras was blocked with snow, for a 20mi drive, mostly HWY, some city streets, To be honest I got tried driving. Maybe it's not a good thing to use it all the time, if I had to do a 200mi drive without FSD, I think it would wear me out to drive that far, I'm so use to it now. Glad I have FSD.

• Funny
I felt the same at first, my hands were so tight on the wheel, but I just kept using it, was EAP then, took about a week before I got relaxed using EAP. Yesterday here it snowed, and I could not use FSD, cameras was blocked with snow, for a 20mi drive, mostly HWY, some city streets, To be honest I got tried driving. Maybe it's not a good thing to use it all the time, if I had to do a 200mi drive without FSD, I think it would wear me out to drive that far, I'm so use to it now. Glad I have FSD.

You are onto something. Took me a while to get used to EAP as well (and really learn to trust the car).

• Informative
It’s safer with Autopilot engaged and “active safety features” on. By safer, I mean less accidents.

Per Tesla Q3 2020 data
In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

Tesla Vehicle Safety Report

Last edited:
It’s safer with Autopilot engaged and “active safety features” on. By safer, I mean less accidents.

Per Tesla Q3 2020 data
In the 3rd quarter, we registered one accident for every 4.59 million miles driven in which drivers had Autopilot engaged. For those driving without Autopilot but with our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 2.42 million miles driven. For those driving without Autopilot and without our active safety features, we registered one accident for every 1.79 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 479,000 miles.

Tesla Vehicle Safety Report
This is all marketing bs, if I have autopilot engaged and I see an upcoming complex driving situation, I take over. Autopilot drives like an old Asian woman, not for everyone

• Love
  • Funny
From the article.

“ If you use Autopilot properly, you’re a bit safer. If you don’t, you are taking too much risk. ”

You are taking that out of context to enforce a confirmation bias. The entire article and research is about it not being significantly safer and the numbers are not really in teslas favor like they claim.

The next sentence from your selected quote is " It seems as though it's closer to a slight loss or a wash."

• Love