Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you regret updating to use Tesla Vision and disabling your radar? Would you go back if you can?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only thing stupider than Tesla’s removal of radar is their removal of ultrasonic sensors. Elon has this single minded idea that Vision can do it all without appreciating the many limitations of vision. It is far better to supplement vision with other sensors then to simply remove them.

I have no idea if any of the changes are stupid, i'm not an engineer. However, I do know that a top priority at Tesla is reliable FSD and I don't think that the engineers would implement any changes that would jeopardize that goal.

• Funny
Reactions: smogne41 and ATPMSD
I have no idea if any of the changes are stupid, i'm not an engineer. However, I do know that a top priority at Tesla is reliable FSD and I don't think that the engineers would implement any changes that would jeopardize that goal.
As at any company, the engineers do what the bean-counters tell them to do, or they quit or get fired.

As at any company, the engineers do what the bean-counters tell them to do, or they quit or get fired.
Actually, it's often worse than that. You have to do what your supervisor says, which is sometimes just their notion of the month and actually will cost the company money. At least the bean counters are counting beans, not off on personal vendettas about various things.

Everyone on here and the subreddit was saying how phantom braking is worse, which I didn't really like, but the real dealbreaker for me was requiring the auto high beams during autopilot. The auto high beams are a joke (on my build) and are dangerous to use. I didn't update because it seemed as if Vision isn't quite ready, and the ahb definitely weren't ready.
Both auto high beams and TV have advanced very significantly since your version of the software. High beams are pretty much safe to use all the time, though they tend to "dip" sometimes when they dont need to (usually a reflection off a sign), but they almost never fail to turn down for an approaching car. As for PB, it's never been really proved/demonstrated if it gets better or worse with TV, nor indeed how bad it actually is overall (there is a lot of opinion of course, but a lot of the variation seems to be related to weather, climate, locale etc).

Find a friend with a Tesla with TV and try it out, but you are way behind with a lot of other useful features, and indeed safety ones too. At some point, your "cure" is going to be worse than the disease!

I noticed a significant increase in weird autopilot events after updating to the ‘only vision’ update. Seems good now but maybe I’ve just forgotten how it use to be.

I do miss the max autopilot limit of 90 mph (92-3 if running KPH)… bring it back Tesla!!

This is a popular topic.

I was apprehensive when I updated and saw the “you are now using Tesla Vision!” In my update notes. I’ve had zero problems with radar and only a few (repeatable and understandable) phantom brake incidents- when passing under the same bridge.

After a lot of time and driving with AP on the highway I am convinced that Tesla Vision (or at least the AP software since the switch) handles everything a lot smoother than previously. The car doesn’t freak out when another vehicle is merging into the lane next to me, or whenever I’m driving next to a semi. It now handles everything very well.

My only gripes are that the follow distance is no longer available at 1 and that 2 is the closest distance.. here in SoCal that extra amount of space gives a lot of room for impatient drivers to come in between me and the car ahead of me too often.

Also, without radar I’ve noticed that the system rarely tracks a vehicle ahead of the vehicle I’m following.

The max set speed being reduced from 85 to 80 doesn’t affect me because if I’m in the mood to drive faster then 80 I would be doing so manually anyway.

Otherwise the “new” system is a lot better with my experience when it comes to putting on AP and relaxing on my drive home.

Thanks to everyone who provided useful input. I'm still very hesitant but I think I'll do the update at some point. Hell, I can't stay on this version forever. And I do like some of the UI changes in the last few months. It'll either create a huge frustration when using AP or it'll be completely fine. I'm even sort of considering booking a test drive just to try out the latest version.

My M3 is still on 2022.20.X - I stopped updating ~4 months ago when they turned off the radar in favour of Tesla Vision.

Everyone on here and the subreddit was saying how phantom braking is worse, which I didn't really like, but the real dealbreaker for me was requiring the auto high beams during autopilot. The auto high beams are a joke (on my build) and are dangerous to use. I didn't update because it seemed as if Vision isn't quite ready, and the ahb definitely weren't ready.

I do like some of the recent UI changes and features though, and I've seen discussion that the auto highbeams got an update and are perhaps much improved. I'm tempted to update IF AP and the ahb work well.

What's your experience with Tesla Vision since turning off the radar, and particularly the (improved?) auto high beams? If you could downgrade to radar AP, would you do it?

Auto high beams used to be bad but they got much, much better in another recent update. They now behave as you’d expect, and are on par with most other vehicles.

In my experience, phantom braking has also been significantly reduced. The only real annoyance now is automatic wipers, which have improved over time but are still a bit of an annoyance in some conditions.

Overall, I’d say do the software update. There are a few minor regressions, but also some very good improvements.

Thanks to everyone who provided useful input. I'm still very hesitant but I think I'll do the update at some point. Hell, I can't stay on this version forever. And I do like some of the UI changes in the last few months. It'll either create a huge frustration when using AP or it'll be completely fine. I'm even sort of considering booking a test drive just to try out the latest version.
I think you’ll be ok! The system does work better now than before. When Vision first launched was a little rough - now it’s fine. Just do the update. The added features and improved UI are good QOL improvements. The return of cards and the revamped mini audio player are really helpful. However, heads up.. you will lose Sonic! Lol

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Auto high beams used to be bad but they got much, much better in another recent update. They now behave as you’d expect, and are on par with most other vehicles.

In my experience, phantom braking has also been significantly reduced. The only real annoyance now is automatic wipers, which have improved over time but are still a bit of an annoyance in some conditions.

Overall, I’d say do the software update. There are a few minor regressions, but also some very good improvements.
Lol, my wife and I have a good laugh every time the auto wipers are doing their thing. It’s remarkable how odd that systems behaves. I like sitting at a red light with another Tesla during a light drizzle and seeing only our cars with wipers going at Mach 1 for no reason. It always makes me laugh.

Hello all, for those that upgraded and were disappointed with Tesla Vision, have you seen any improvements over the last weeks? Are you still regretting jumping into Tesla Vision?

For background: I’m still holding to 2022.20.8, it irks me to miss out on recent updates but at the same time, I’m very happy with how my car drives and do not want to ruin it.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I would 100% go back! Where do I sign?

I do not see much difference in PB. Same frequency, different places, so no improvement there.

On the other hand, wipers and high beams never worked. I was upgrading to the latest firmware every time it came up with hope that they would fix them. At the end, I simply gave up and switched completely to manual wipers and high beams. Not ideal for $100k+ car but it was limited to those two things, at least.

Now, I have pretty much given up on using the AP because of the wipers and high beams. Those things have a life on their own. Yes, I cleaned the windshield with different things, been to the SC several times, had a mobile technician ride with me - nothing! They “work as designed”. Especially, when turn on at the middle of a sunny day.

Conclusion: if you buy a Tesla, never fall for the OTA upgrade promise. Just don’t do it.

So the whole discussion is now pointless for me, as I no longer have a choice, the 2023.2.10 was forced into my car by the Tesla service team in advance of a mobile service call. So far only the auto wipers have been annoying a couple of times, but have to do more driving to see how this evolves