TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you take your Model S to the Car Wash?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by bareyb, Nov 7, 2013.

1. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#1 bareyb, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Is anyone out there daring to take their cars to a Car Wash or are we all hand washing?

2. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Hand washing after getting a serious amount of Xpel...

- - - Updated - - -

PS: A poll would have been better?

3. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Every Saturday AM, I hand wash my baby - its very meditative :)

4. cinergi

cinergi Active Member

Touchless wash for me.

5. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

What is that? Do they simply blow dry it at the end?

6. PeterK

PeterK Model S Owner

Me too, and an occasional detailer wash.

Yes, either the machine goes back and forth over you, or in some places you drive out slowly through the blowers.

7. dflye

dflye S Sig Perf 414, VIN 814

I've gone to a local shop that offers hand washing, where it is parked before their automated machinery and handled 100% there and then driven around to the detailing at the end of the normal wash belt-line. I've only done that a handful of times in a year of ownership when I want a really good job done, as my normal washing at home is less than stellar. ;)

8. GDH

GDH Banned

Automatic car washes are awful for any cars paint.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Never at a car wash. Always at home. Home is quicker and I do a better job!

10. birdsaresmarter

NO! dont do it!

11. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Meh. I think you're overstating it. The brushless ones have done a good job for me in the past and I don't recall any scratches from them. I'm guessing it would probably be just fine to take your Model S to a good brushless car wash. I've seen Teslas at the local Lozanos and the owner told me that he hadn't experienced any problems from doing so.

12. GDH

GDH Banned

omg let me rephrase. Automatic car washes that drag or spin fabric across your are bad for your paint.

Is that better?

13. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I don't mind washing as much as I mind drying… I have a leaf blower and some microfiber cloths I'll probably try. Used to use a Chamois but I have heard Microfiber is the way to go now.

- - - Updated - - -

Are we talking about those square cloth arms that swish back and forth? That's what they have at Lozanos and so far they've never scratched my paint. Is it just because it's a Tesla that one shouldn't go or you saying that all brushless car washes that touch your paint in any way are bad for your paint? I'm not being argumentative, I'm just trying to understand. If a brusheless car wash will actually ruin the paint on my Tesla I certainly wouldn't want to do it. I'm just wanting to know why. It's a major pain in the ass to have to hand wash.

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

It came looking good; I've taken it for a basic detail once; I plan to get it detailed a couple of times a year, but will probably use a touch less car wash occasionally. Honestly, I barely ever washed my old car--this whole "take care of your nice car" thing is new to me. ;-) So I'm glad there's a detailer nearby (I never got my old car detailed). I don't mind supporting local businesses. ;-)

15. MarkR

MarkR Member

I use a touchless / brushless carwash about once a week and a hand wash about once a month.

16. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

Two questions.

1. Does the Touchless get it clean enough to Polish afterward?
    2. Does the Brushless car wash have the wide cloth "fingers" that wiggle back and forth on the Paint? I assume no problems from that?

17. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

#17 bareyb, Nov 7, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    Anyone using a "rinseless car wash" like Optimum No Rinse? I'm thinking take it to the Touchless first and then follow up with some of that stuff to get what the Touchless missed.

18. Btrflyl8e

Btrflyl8e Active Member

I think people have different tolerances for scratches and swirl marks. Having a dark colored car, there is no way I would run it through any car wash where any kind of brush or cloth strips etc would touch it, and touchless just isn't going to get all the road grime, brake dust, etc off, IMO.

I'm not a perfectionist nor do I try to achieve a true show car finish. When it comes down to it I'm pretty lazy about wanting to wash and dry a car by hand BUT... after doing it right and applying a good polish the first week I had it, I find it doesn't take me very long to hand wash and dry. The end result is VERY satisfying and I'm fairly certain makes the car just a little faster :wink:.

I dry with 100% cotton towels with no trim. I got them online at Chemical Brothers, I think.

I had never applied a polish to any of my previous cars before, but found it a lot easier than wax, and it lasts longer. What a world of difference it makes in how long the car stays clean and how much easier and faster it is to wash. Of course you can have an even nicer coating applied, and I've been considering Opticoat or gTechniq... but will likely just suck it up and apply a couple of new coats of Zaino again as it was exactly 6 months ago this week when I first applied it.

19. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

All -

Steam hand wash @ Birdie's Auto Spa in Rye, NY. Less than 1 gallon of water used, no soaps/chemicals - just the steam and a micro fiber cloth!

Aaron

IMG_0670.jpg IMG_0644.jpg

20. cwave1

cwave1 Member

Which Zaino do you use? How easy is it to work with?