Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you take your Tesla to Baja California?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We go down to Rosarito Beach Mexico several times a year and I would love to be able to take my MS but so far this is the one place that I've been too nervous to take her. Here's some of the details of our setup...
  • Could charge in San Diego and have plenty of charge to get there and back without having to worry about charging in Mexico
  • Our destination is in a gated community
  • Parking would be outdoors near the ocean
  • Once there I'd likely take cabs or public transit so would only be on the road to/from destination
  • Most of the drive from the border to Rosarito is on a toll road that is well maintained and not heavily trafficked
  • Rest of the roads may be iffy for my 21" arachnids (could swap them out for the stock 19's but that's quite the hassle for each trip)
  • I have global entry so if I registered the Tesla I can use the SENTRI lanes coming back to the States (last time I used the SENTRI lane we were over the border in 15 minutes, last time using the general lane took hours)
  • Insurance...my policy covers damage within 50 miles of the border (think I have to get it stateside to get coverage though), and Mexico liability-only insurance price doesn't change if I get quoted for our 2009 Corolla or the 2017 Tesla
So, does anybody here regularly take their Tesla (or comparable vehicle) to Mexico and how is that going for you? Or would you based on the above? Anything else I'm not considering? Love to hear some thoughts.

Reactions: IdaX
We are going to Rosarito area from San Diego. I am planning to take our 3P for the first time but not quite sure how/where we'll manage to charge. Don't think the hotel we are staying at offers destination charging, although they may have a regular outlet... Would love to hear any one else's experience if they have done anything similar.

I do know a lot of wineries in the Valle have destination charging, so that may be a plan b.

We got Baja Bound insurance for 2 days. We used them in the past when we drove our ICE.

• Love
Reactions: Mokuzai and P85_DA
Just a follow up report in case any else is interested. We spent about 25% of the full capacity (long range) to get down there starting from near Del Mar. We were staying just south of Rosarito and our hotel didn't have a destination charger. The next afternoon we headed to Enseneda and went to Cuatro Cuatros. I think that took us down to 64%. It's a winery that showed a destination charger on the map. Got a full charge while we were there (about 3 hours). Fairly uneventful on the way back the next day.

Were heading down south of Rosarito as well. ABRP says to fill up at San Diego Mission center before heading across the boarder. Then there are only 30 minute trips at the most, so I should be fine until heading back.

Were heading down south of Rosarito as well. ABRP says to fill up at San Diego Mission center before heading across the boarder. Then there are only 30 minute trips at the most, so I should be fine until heading back.
If you were going much further down, there is a Supercharger in Ensenada but that's way down from Rosarito. Once day we can drive down to Cabo... One day!

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 1.20.01 PM.png

Reactions: DelPhonic1