Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think a driver of the Model 3 or other Tesla could of survive this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a sad fatal drunk-driver incident in Temecula, California where a speeding pickup rear-ended a stopped Nissan Altima on the highway. Temecula: 1 killed, 3 hurt in chain-reaction crash on 15 Freeway captured on video; DUI suspect arrested
The Altima was demolished:
upload_2019-6-5_15-54-8.png

Does anyone think the Model 3, or other Tesla could have protected the driver or passengers any better?

...Does anyone think the Model 3, or other Tesla could have protected the driver or passengers any better?

People in Tesla do die in some accidents so Tesla is not deathproof but it's built better to withstand some scenarios.

So, if I have a choice between the Altima or Tesla, I would choose Tesla.

The Tesla Model S driver below was fine after being hit in the rear at stop and go traffic on freeway and the big 40 ton truck running at 60MPH didn't even apply the brakes according the Drive:

https%3A%2F%2Fapi.thedrive.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2017%2F02%2Fimage2-e1486163508170.jpg%3Fquality%3D85

It's all about risk. The Tesla can reduce the risk of injury or death a lot, certainly more than the Altima. But there's no guarantee of any particular outcome.

We have seen some accidents posted here that show that the Tesla's reduce injury/death risk quite a bit. @Chancellor32 cites the one I remember in particular -- a wrong-way driver on the freeway hit a Model X head-on at freeway speed. The Model X driver had minor injuries and the wrong-way driver was killed instantly.

Wow that was violent, the pickup was beyond speeding and obliterated the Nissan, it just went through it.
Likely the speed was too high for survival, even if the cabin would not collapse, the change in acceleration was too much. You can build a car that survives but humans can't survive very high G forces.

Weight and crumple zone size would help. The car or the driver seeing the danger and accelerating would help. A seat that can slide backwards at the time of the impact would help too- assuming the cabin's structural integrity is not compromised.
It's also possible in some cases for the pickup truck to climb over the stationary vehicle and that could save the passengers if the cabin does not collapse. I suppose one could even design for it and try to deflect the impact that way.

In theory a FSD Tesla should try to run and reduce the speed gap between the 2 vehicles, steering being an option too ofc.

I don't think anyone with a Tesla or another passenger vehicle would've of survived this terrible crash.

I'm sad for the driver and family plus the other drivers that were injured or involved in this crash. This happened close to my house and we travel on that stretch of freeway frequently.

That's awful. Agreed, not survivable in any sedan; the aftermath clearly shows the truck took the entire roof of the sedan off. The shearing of the roof can obviously happen in the Model 3 as well; there's no easy way to make those as strong as the crumple zones. Must have hit at close to 60mph closing speed; he was probably going well over 100mph.

The woman had no chance, and it's just really sad to see.