TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Do you think i need to buy the model x hitch rack which the Tesla sell on their shop?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Shelly, Dec 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shelly

Shelly Closed

Do you think i need to buy the model x hitch rack which the Tesla sell on their shop?

Last week i put the question to the model s forum, but no one answered my question, i guess i should put it here on model x forum :

Dear model x owners, I always think the model x hitch rack which the Tesla sell on their shop is so cool, but the price is not cheap, over 500USD, It's so cool to have one on the back of my car when our family is on trip. SO my Telsa model x friends, so you think it's necessary to have one for that price? Is it useful? Is ther any one want to design a cheaper one? Someone who got from Tesla please offer some suggestion, thanks

Attached Files:

2. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

This is a personal question like, "do you think I should order a blue car?" - there are other bike racks you can buy - some cheaper and some more expensive. I'm on the fence personally. I love the futuristic rack they displayed at the X reveal but the rebranded Yakima(?) rack they sell now is cool-ish but not exactly ground-breaking in design. I will likely look at aftermarket options.

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

The Tesla branded rack they sell is indeed a Yakima product with different graphics. It is the Fulltilt 4. In case you don't want to pay the extra $120 for the Tesla graphics...

FullTilt 4

• Like x 1
  4. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Or you could pay even more and get a truly terrific rack, like our 1Up USA. You can find a good amount of discussion of it within this forum; its unassailable advantage over the Tesla rack is that it does not stress any bikes by hanging them from their frames; rather it supports them from below. Can't be beat.

• Like x 2
  5. ModelX

ModelX Active Member

I like the 1up rack. I like the bikes to be in their own spots and not able to move! You can use any hitch rack you like. There is no advantage to the one on the tesla site.

6. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

But, but, but, it has the Tesla logo on it! :rolleyes::p

• Funny x 1
  7. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

Wow thank you so much! If they just rebranded the bike rack, what model is the ski/snowboard holder?

Edit: Nevermind I found it: Thule Tram 9033 Thule TRAM 9033 | Thule | USA

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Yup. It's the Thule. Which is kind of strange. I guess they felt it was a better quality piece than what Yakima offered for that purpose. It does look to be a bit more robust.

Cheers!

9. mk9027866

mk9027866 Member

What kind of range decrease should I expect with this rack and snowboards on it?

10. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

Not sure about boards and skis but with a couple bikes back there, probably 15% at least.