Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you Think Musk used TMC Members Reworks for Updated M3 Front?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(I meant heavily influenced, not really "used") The Anders is a little pointer but close. I think it's so cool that Musk may have taken TMC/others photoshopped reworks and could've taken it to his designers and said 'Change it'. How many CEO's would've done this for their flagship model!
Anders:
ashrzb4-jpg.170271

Current
model-3-rc-blue-11-e1492048258846.png
1000x-1.jpg

No. Their design team is perfectly capable of designing a decent front end to whatever criteria they are given. I do think Anders etc showed a good approach which made enough noise that Elon said let's look at it and see what some tweaking will do.

No. Their design team is perfectly capable of designing a decent front end to whatever criteria they are given. I do think Anders etc showed a good approach which made enough noise that Elon said let's look at it and see what some tweaking will do.
Well I'm not questioning their capability, but TMC members complained about it, and the point of the reworks was getting rid of the front snub. IDK if Musk either said 'get rid of the snub', but it's not far fetched that the designers looked at some of the reworks and were influenced. Also looking back Anders posted his redesign to Musk's twitter and Musk responded. That is incredible to me, again how many CEO's would actually listen much less make a change on an all-important flagship model? For example so, so many Nissan Leaf owners wanted a much more sleek and sexy Leaf '18 and look at the new camo spy shots. Don't think Nissan listened much.

Did Musk use feedback from TMC to help him make an informed decision on the nose? I'm sure he has minions on these boards providing feedback to their marketing team, yes. Did actual shopped renders posted here directly influence the decision to tweak the nose? I doubt it. He made an informed decision based on many, many different sources as well as their own internal design team.

Let's not kid ourselves here. TMC represents a fraction of present and future Tesla owners. It does not have quite the pull people think it does.

Until I see a definitive spy shot without reflections, I say the front end is unchanged from initial reveal.
I know many disagree, but we shall see.
I've talked myself into believing the parting line that runs horizontally at the front edge of the hood moved down 0.625 of an inch, and softened a bit.

When looking at other low drag cars, they seem to work pretty hard to put a sheet of air over the front wheel wells.

But if one considers how slippery the top of the Model 3 is, one really wants a large fraction of the air to take that top path.

So the way I see it, Tesla wanted to be subtle about the sheets, but had to make sure that happened. That is what we saw with the duck bill from a year ago. Once that is going on, I think you displace the air less if you take it over the top. So they lowered the bill 5/8ths of an inch.

Here are some pictures that show less than subtle sheet creation:

06-2048-2048.jpg

lucid-motors-air-front.jpg

5-3.jpg

Ford tries to be more subtle with the truck folks:
ford-f-150-wind-tunnel-testing_100518951_m.jpg

Tesla wants to sell a lot of cars, almost as many as Ford sells trucks. So they need it to happen, but with a little more grace:
dc-Cover-9ie1eermdmpaasil8mal264883-20170411192606.Medi.jpeg

tesla-model-3-latest-news-upcoming-model-might-not-have-charging-issues.jpg

There is always a ripple, and Tesla does listen. If the car looks stuck up, they likely don't reach their sales goals. The new design should get better numbers in every category.

• Informative
Reactions: hoang51
Tesla wants to sell a lot of cars, almost as many as Ford sells trucks. So they need it to happen, but with a little more grace:
dc-Cover-9ie1eermdmpaasil8mal264883-20170411192606.Medi.jpeg

tesla-model-3-latest-news-upcoming-model-might-not-have-charging-issues.jpg

There is always a ripple, and Tesla does listen. If the car looks stuck up, they likely don't reach their sales goals. The new design should get better numbers in every category.

The silver car looks so much better. The nose looks strong and assertive. The black nose looks soft and weak.

I think that this forum and its front end threads could have influenced Tesla in their subtle re-design of the duck front. Why not?

Can experts ever get good ideas or advise from non-experts?

Or are design experts people who:

never have listen to anyone else?
hearts beat to the rhythm of their arrogance?
ALWAY have the best answer?
refer to everyone else as a subordinate?
etc?

In my business of making money - the experts are my customers who tell me what they want and pay me for it when I deliver.