Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think our cars can go to a higher speed than 130, 140, 155 MPH?

MPH Higher?

• Yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's the top speed I think each battery is capable of hitting.

60, 60D Currently only able to get to 130 MPH = I think they "Could" hit 140-145 MPH.
75, 75D Currently able to get 140 = I think they "Could" hit 150 - 155 MPH.
90D,100D,P100D Currently able to hit 155 = I think they could possibly hit somewhere in the 170 - 185 MPH Range.

Im pretty sure we all know the P cars could go faster.

Many vehicles are max speed restricted due to regulations or standard tire capacity.

Vehicles are manufactured to a conservative standard for safety reasons. Higher safe speeds might need additonal aero for downforce, better braking, stronger suspensions, additional cooling, firmer shocks etc.

I would imagine that Tesla could easily increase the top speeds of their vehicles with a few lines of code, but so many components may then be pushed closer to their limits than comfortable.

It's great that you like guessing things based on nothing, but seeing as a 60D and 75D are mechanically identical, there would be no difference in ultimate top speed. The Model S is essentially limited by its gearing. The Models S has a single speed gearbox, it's never going to be able to have a super high top speed. The top speeds are likely the ultimate top speeds on the P cars and not software limited. (Until the battery overheats, then the cars will be software limited).

Reactions: Pezpunk
Nope, it's gearing
Yes... Gearing and RPM software limit chosen to reach a top speed of 155. Being a single gear, they could choose to gear it to reach, say 160, 165, etc. Also, we don't know the true mechanical RPM limit of their motors. Can anyone share Tesla's spec for the mechanical limit to the top speed of their motors? We all know what the software limit is set to. I haven't seen any specs listed as to the mechanical RPM limit.

Doing the math, I did find it interesting that the big performance motor isn't what gets it to 155MPH; it's the small front motor.

2015 P90D

Front Motor:
Max Speed - 18000 RPM
Final Drive Ratio - 9.34:1

Rear Motor:
Max Speed - 16000 RPM
Final Drive Ratio - 9.73:1

245/45R19 - 751 Revs/Mile
245/35R21 - 749 Revs/Mile
265/35R21 - 734 Revs/Mile

Front Wheels:
Max Shaft Speed - 1927.2 RPM