TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Do you think Tesla is giving private demos of Autopilot 2.0 to NHTSA?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by calisnow, Jul 8, 2016.

1. calisnow

calisnow Active Member

I'm ignorant of how these agencies function - but I just read that now the NTSB is getting in on the act as well. Is it probable that Tesla is giving private, off-the-record demos right now of Autopilot 2.0 to the investigators on these government agencies - showing them that "Hey, this problem is going to be solved ASAP so please cut us some slack."

Or is that not how that goes?

2. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

Not to start a political garbage thread, but if the FBI can get away with letting a certain woman off the hook after all the evidence, pretty sure all these gov agencies are corrupt in some way and people have "contacts" at all of them to pull some strings and get some slack.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  3. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Doubt it.
    I doubt tesla would say, hey our current autopilot is flawed but we'll make it better sometime in the future, but for now we'll keep selling cars with a flawed system.

• Like x 1
  4. brkaus

brkaus Member

Who said current version is flawed? Reviews are much better than most others on the market. No one is saying those are flawed. Keep your hands in the wheel and stay in charge of the car.

5. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

#5 S4WRXTTCS, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    I don't think there is a problem to beginning with, and I doubt Tesla is giving demos to anyone.

To me the most important thing as it relates to the NHTSA is for stricter guidelines as to what constitutes as Automatic Emergency braking. Right now consumers really have no idea how capable of a system they're getting.

I also think AEB is an important topic for the NHTSA especially since they made this announcement.

U.S. DOT and IIHS announce historic commitment of 20 automakers to make automatic emergency braking standard on new vehicles | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

As to the fatality accident we know AEB didn't activate and we know the trailer didn't have bars to keep a car from going under. Either of those things would have likely saved a mans life not to mention countless others.

As to Autopilot itself we will never know it's role in the accident. Accidents happen in a lot of cases where the driver was only inattentive for seconds. To me it doesn't matter if it's autopilot that will allow you to let go of the wheel for a lots of minutes versus a system that will allow for only a minute. A minute is an awful lot of distance at 85mph.

6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

You went there. It would seem that all of the federal agencies have concluded that there is no "evidence" there. There also was no security breach. People like you act as if Secretary Clinton walked into a Fry's Electronics, bought a generic beige box, and then spent all night setting up some nefarious private email server. Whatever happened was delegated. The individual who actually set up the server asked to receive immunity from the FBI because he knew that he was the one guy who was exposed to liability. The person who actually did the deed received immunity.

I know people on your side want desperately to find something on Hillary because she is going to win in the biggest landslide in modern history this November. Your de-facto party leader can only make it to November if he keeps his mouth shut between now and then, which is the latest issue that has caused a fracture among his internal campaign staff. This is all you people have. This is it. And it's NOTHING! No wonder Republicans are grasping at straws. It's such an obvious and transparent political witch hunt that the majority of Americans couldn't care less about.

I'd much rather have as President someone who was careless with her emails than someone who:
    • Wants to dismantle NATO
    • Hates women and minorities
    • Wants to break up and deport 11 million families
    • Wants to declare war on an entire religion over the acts of a few
    • Wants to block certain individuals from entering the US based solely on their religious views
    • Wants there to be "repercussions" for people who don't support him
    • Has said he would direct the Attorney General to investigate those whom he doesn't like
    • Wants to commit war crimes by killing the innocent families of terrorists
    • Wants women to be prosecuted as criminals for making decisions about their own bodies
    • Supports people like David Duke of the KKK
    • Idolizes totalitarians like Putin and says complimentary things about dictators like Sadam Hussein
    • Has no specific proposals about anything
    • Believes that the current minimum wage is too high
    • Thinks America can be made great again by hating all that is different
    • Will give no interviews to any media outlets except Fox
    • Thinks having to answer tough questions is being treated unfairly
    Yes, all government agencies are corrupt because they don't bend to misinformed political beliefs. I don't blame people who support Trump or whatever other awful person the Republicans can dig up, I feel sorry for them because they have been manipulated by those in power who are desperate to maintain that power. This is why a certain political party would like nothing better than to keep people misinformed, uneducated, and struggling paycheck-to-paycheck. That type of electorate is easily manipulated into believing any baloney you put in front of them.

• Like x 3
    • Dislike x 2
    • Love x 1
  7. BigAirHarper

BigAirHarper Member

so much irony in those statements and so many of them go both ways between candidates. Wayyyy too many biased backwards things in that post for me to even try to address. Resume regularly scheduled programming....

8. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

Haha, apparently I have a lot more issues with Autocorrect than I do with Autopilot.

The funny thing is I do proof read things before I hit post, and yet I still manage to get snagged by autocorrect.

• Funny x 1
  9. ZeroDarkSilver

ZeroDarkSilver HEPA cleaning your atmosphere, you're welcome

That's not how it goes. Why would it?

NTSB and NHTSA's jobs are to evaluate the safety of practices and technologies currently on the road and in the sky, not potential future technologies that may or may not materialize or change completely. Even if Autopilot 2.0 could cure cancer and make golden marshmallows out of dog poop, it doesn't change anything about Autopilot 1.0 which is already in tens of thousands of cars on the road, and is the subject of this inquiry. If a 787 crashed, Boeing is not telling the NTSB, "but look how awesome the 797 is going to be!" I'm assuming, of course, that AP 2.0 will not be soft-upgradeable to AP 1.0 cars.

Also, it doesn't seem like companies that rely on technological innovation to compete are likely to want to give sneak peeks of their development plans to government agencies.

The ironic thing about this whole situation is that Autopilot is fundamentally the same feature set that many other manufacturers' cars have. The only difference is that AP actually works well, while most of the other implementations are so bad as to be useless. I know a BMW owner who says their X5 has similar functionality but "we never use it, it just doesn't work". It's almost as if the rest of the car industry is adding these features just to have marketing boxes checked off, but don't care if they actually work. By the time customers have owned the car long enough to realize the features are essentially useless, it's too late, they just never use them, and shrug. The car manufacturer and stealership already have their money. They all just added these features because everyone else has them and they don't want to lose on paper comparisons.

If Tesla is going to be punished for working hard to actually make AP work well enough to be genuinely useful and safety-enhancing, then we live in a back-asswards world.

• Like x 2