Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla is limiting the MYP's launch performance to not compete with the M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered MYP because I wouldn't order a MY unless it was.. Personally I think the MYLR is strange looking without the lower stance and larger wheels (IMOP, it resembles a off-road beach buggy). But, I'm also the same person that bought a Contour SVT, Neon SRT, a Caliber SRT and Charger SRT... Yet, I would never buy the base model of any of these vehicles.

That said, I do agree the performance isn't justified for the extra cash they are asking. I am hoping that they unlock some more soon to make it worth our investment now that they offer the upgrade to the MYLR owners.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
That said, I do agree the performance isn't justified for the extra cash they are asking. I am hoping that they unlock some more soon to make it worth our investment now that they offer the upgrade to the MYLR owners.
I was counting on this earlier on given the M3 perks, but as time goes on I am less optimistic. It's an odd strategy to sell AB for the MYLR that comes so close to an MYP yet offer nothing to MYP owners. I'd love to have a sub-3-second 0-60 time. I do like the PUP package for purely personal reasons and the cost wasn't a factor. Like you, I tend to get the performance version of whatever I drive.

Reactions: 52 16 57 39
Highly doubt you'll see any boost for the MYP unless the MME is just kicking its ass. If you look at the early drag time video when he got his MYP, it already looked like it was making more power than the M3P. So how far can they go if they are already pushing the power beyond the M3P? Basically the MYP is boosted compared to the M3P already. See vid below.

Highly doubt you'll see any boost for the MYP unless the MME is just kicking its ass. If you look at the early drag time video when he got his MYP, it already looked like it was making more power than the M3P. So how far can they go if they are already pushing the power beyond the M3P? Basically the MYP is boosted compared to the M3P already. See vid below.

Yes, from a DIG I agree. But based on the Dyno pulls I've seen they give you more power down low (MYP) then it flattens out when compared to a M3P. For that reason I suspect that there's more left on the table I also think that because they increased the battery pack on the newer models. So just need some software tuning to optimize and add the value back in for the customer.

Tesla really hasn't had a need to bump up the MYP. Like I said the MME could be a good incentive for Elon to do something if the road tests come out showing the performance versions of the MME crushing the MYP. TBH, I hope it does. That would great for all of us.

It would force Tesla to up their game. Then maybe Ford, Audi, Jaguar, etc. would do the same. Ultimately we all benefit in a few years, maybe sooner if Tesla rolls out a software update to address the competition.

Tesla really hasn't had a need to bump up the MYP. Like I said the MME could be a good incentive for Elon to do something if the road tests come out showing the performance versions of the MME crushing the MYP. TBH, I hope it does. That would great for all of us.

It would force Tesla to up their game. Then maybe Ford, Audi, Jaguar, etc. would do the same. Ultimately we all benefit in a few years, maybe sooner if Tesla rolls out a software update to address the competition.
I though so too for that reason alone like the Model S to Rivian pissing contest. Also they don’t want to cannibalizes the Model X, but that is already happening.

If there was no MY and only the Model X, I wouldn't have bought it.I would have went elsewhere with my money. I never liked the falcon wing doors and answered a question that didn't matter to me. Not to mention all the issues I've heard about them and would hate to fix them after the warranty period is up. Thank god they didn't do them on the MY or it would have been a hard pass.

While Tesla is selling a lot of cars, they better not become complacent. I just had a coworker bail on buying a MY because of all the build issues he had heard about. While I won't say they are all gone overall, my car was great.

The MME has a variant at every performance point vs the MY. Offers some things the MY doesn't such as MagneRide Damping System. Ford can get suspension right and they have a lot more experience building cars. How good the MagneRide Damping System remains to be seen but I am pretty sure it will show how much room for improvement there is for the MYP's suspension. They could tune them to minimize the pitching of the car during acceleration like you get with the MYP and offer an incredible amount of adjustability. I like my Tesla but the MME is a real threat to the MY.

Now Tesla just needs to turn it up a notch across the board on all the MY models to keep their lead. My friend who bailed on the why put a deposit on the Rivian. I seriously thought about it too but have been bitten by first gen models too many times in my life.

Reactions: Corndart
If there was no MY and only the Model X, I wouldn't have bought it.I would have went elsewhere with my money. I never liked the falcon wing doors and answered a question that didn't matter to me. Not to mention all the issues I've heard about them and would hate to fix them after the warranty period is up. Thank god they didn't do them on the MY or it would have been a hard pass.

While Tesla is selling a lot of cars, they better not become complacent. I just had a coworker bail on buying a MY because of all the build issues he had heard about. While I won't say they are all gone overall, my car was great.

The MME has a variant at every performance point vs the MY. Offers some things the MY doesn't such as MagneRide Damping System. Ford can get suspension right and they have a lot more experience building cars. How good the MagneRide Damping System remains to be seen but I am pretty sure it will show how much room for improvement there is for the MYP's suspension. They could tune them to minimize the pitching of the car during acceleration like you get with the MYP and offer an incredible amount of adjustability. I like my Tesla but the MME is a real threat to the MY.

Now Tesla just needs to turn it up a notch across the board on all the MY models to keep their lead. My friend who bailed on the why put a deposit on the Rivian. I seriously thought about it too but have been bitten by first gen models too many times in my life.

Reactions: ucsdsig
Yep, the E GT and E GT Performance will be a good match-up against the MYP. I like my MYLR but I don't drink the Tesla kool-aid. Ford knows how to build cars. They can build pretty good handling ones too. If they get the chassis dialed in like they are capable of, and the acceleration lives up to its claim, it will definitely be fun to see.

The MME won the C&D electric car of the year.

Regardless of what you think, that would have never happened 2 years ago. The competition is closing very quickly. I also think Tesla should open back up some sort of PR office and have cars again for magazines to test. I think it is hurting them in some ways.

I test drove the Mach E a couple of times before I ordered my MYP. Car was nice, but it was definitely sluggish off the line. I really wish the GT had been available.

And wasn’t a fan of the Mach E infotainment system (could definitely use a processor boost as it’s a bit laggy). But the availability of Apple CarPlay was a huge plus.

I test drove the Mach E a couple of times before I ordered my MYP. Car was nice, but it was definitely sluggish off the line. I really wish the GT had been available.

And wasn’t a fan of the Mach E infotainment system (could definitely use a processor boost as it’s a bit laggy). But the availability of Apple CarPlay was a huge plus.
Your thoughts mirrored mine almost exactly. I wish the GT or GT Performance was available. I might have gone a different route. I won't take a lot of trips so while I value the superchargers, not as important to me as some. Ford got a lot of things right and I think they'll improve in the areas they need to.

I have had Ford infotainment systems in the past and some have been fairly snappy but others have been terrible and almost useless when cold but they have trended better. I did like having a screen in front of me for info. I absolutely hate having the screen off to the side out of my line of sight on the 3/Y and was almost enough to keep me from buying it. The rest of the car won me over.

Your thoughts mirrored mine almost exactly. I wish the GT or GT Performance was available. I might have gone a different route. I won't take a lot of trips so while I value the superchargers, not as important to me as some. Ford got a lot of things right and I think they'll improve in the areas they need to.

I have had Ford infotainment systems in the past and some have been fairly snappy but others have been terrible and almost useless when cold but they have trended better. I did like having a screen in front of me for info. I absolutely hate having the screen off to the side out of my line of sight on the 3/Y and was almost enough to keep me from buying it. The rest of the car won me over.
You might visit this site: Ford Mustang Mach-E Complaints, Issues & Problems

• Funny
Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
I have seen the site. Almost all first Gen cars have issues. Not dismissing them. I am sure Ford will work them out. I bought the Tesla because at this time I thought it was better for what I need. I almost never buy a first Gen car anymore but it was definitely worth taking look at the MME. I will definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

I know this is a Tesla forum but it always is a good idea to see what is going on outside of the Tesla microcosm. Tesla has a lead in some areas but it is definitely shrinking.

I have seen the site. Almost all first Gen cars have issues. Not dismissing them. I am sure Ford will work them out. I bought the Tesla because at this time I thought it was better for what I need. I almost never buy a first Gen car anymore but it was definitely worth taking look at the MME. I will definitely keep an eye on it in the future.

I know this is a Tesla forum but it always is a good idea to see what is going on outside of the Tesla microcosm. Tesla has a lead in some areas but it is definitely shrinking.
Here's how I see it. Ford launched a vehicle: A) without a robust charging network or solution, B) using a conventional approach to vehicle sales (which blow chunks) and C) have used traditional business thought process towards design/executuion. D) runs a lot os ads about the "new" eMustang.

Watch a tear down of the Ford and the VW - geez, talk about lack of simplicity.

Now, go read the complaints about the vehicle and note the lack of dealer service department knowledge. I would stay away from the major auto companies for at least 5 years - I could care less about what Car and Driver says....

Charging network is an issue if you plan to travel outside your given range. For many that may not be the case. I have major concerns if/when Tesla opens up their charging network to others. They make more money but I'll be impacted waiting for the MME, Etron, ID4, etc. to finish charging.

I can't say I am as negative about conventional sales as you are. Last car I ordered, came with a date that they hit. I didn't have to login to my account every day to see when I would actually get it. When there was an issue, there was a clear path to resolve. The SAs I dealt with weren't very good at resolving issues I had, even when they were clearly on the wrong side of it. Basically I was told to take it or leave it. At a normal dealer, pretty easily to escalate and get something resolved, especially when you are buying a more expensive car. The Porsche/Audi MB dealer I dealt with was very good at resolving any issues I had. YMMV and apparently has.

Traditional doesn't always mean bad. I work in an Agile environment a lot which so many people think is so much better than other approaches but I've learned it isn't good for everything. I think there are issues with Tesla's approach as well as the more traditional approach. Innovation is good but not at the risk of safety. Their approach to removing the radar without having the software up to date is a perfect example something Tesla did that I think was not optimal.

I can't tell you that I have seen a single ad for the MME on TV. I think I maybe saw one in print. You may not like C&D, maybe you hate Consumer Reports too, but those entities, and others like them, will often drive the conversation. Since Tesla no longer has a PR entity, they are at the mercy of them to the extent people actually believe Elon's tweets. I think this is another big mistake on Tesla's part. Not to mention I often go into the Tesla store and can't even see a car. BIg mistake there as that is a missed opportunity to reach more people.

The competition has made enormous strides. I am curious to see how the new BMW pans out as well. I want to see Tesla succeed. I also want to see everyone else reach parity with Tesla to push them even more.

The problem (and also an opportunity) as I see it is there are no longer just Tesla fanbois buying their cars. I am one of those people. As an engineer, I appreciate what they bring to the table. At the same time I don't want to deal with basic blocking at tackling things like panel alignment, good paint, trim on correctly, lights lining up. I saw all those issues and more on the demo cars I drove. I literally had a piece of trim on interior trim fall off a M3P while on a test drive.

Tesla needs to learn from the other companies and vice versa. I really like my MY but when its time is up, I won't blindly stick with Tesla, I'll look at my options. When my MS is within a few weeks of likely being delivered, I'll assess the market and see if there is a better option then. At the moment it is unlikely but I'll definitely check.