Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla is Managing Total US sales to maximize federal tax credit

Will Tesla sell 200,000 cars in US BEFORE the end of Q2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The thread title doesn't match the poll question. One asks if Tesla is actively managing US deliveries to maximize the number of buyers who will qualify for the full credit; the other asks when the 200,000 mark (which triggers the countdown for the credit phase-out) will be attained.

Exactly. They are almost the exact opposite answer. If you answer Yes to the title, you will probably answer No to the Poll.

For what it's worth, Elon at some point tweeted that they would do what they could to make the credit available to the most people.

Sure. But that was 2 years ago. A lot changes in 2 years. (See: Steering Controls, Spaceship) ;)

That said, the prioritization of Canadian reservation holders in the recent batches of Model 3 invites does signal that Tesla might in fact be trying to push the 200k-th US delivery into Q3.

And while it's only an estimate, InsideEVs US Monthly Sales estimates for Tesla in April are low enough that it keeps the possibility alive. They estimate April deliveries at 6150, putting the total at 185,701.

Last edited:
The thread title doesn't match the poll question. One asks if Tesla is actively managing US deliveries to maximize the number of buyers who will qualify for the full credit; the other asks when the 200,000 mark (which triggers the countdown for the credit phase-out) will be attained.

I'm not sure why the question posed in the title has to match the poll question... However, I someone explains how I can edit the post title I'll fix it...

I'm not sure why the question posed in the title has to match the poll question...
Because you're asking our opinion of two different things:
  • Do you want to know if we think Tesla is managing US deliveries to maximize the number or US buyers who will get the full credit
  • or do you want to know if we think Tesla will reach 200,000 US sales before the end of Q2?
Tesla's doing one does not necessarily equal the other.

Because you're asking our opinion of two different things:
  • Do you want to know if we think Tesla is managing US deliveries to maximize the number or US buyers who will get the full credit
  • or do you want to know if we think Tesla will reach 200,000 US sales before the end of Q2?
Tesla's doing one does not necessarily equal the other.
I think we can infer they do equal each other since Elon suggested they game the 200k US mark to increase the availability of the tax credit. Since incentive is quarter dependent Q2 is the last available quarter to do so.