Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think Tesla/M3 will change the auto industry? I'm concerned

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By far the biggest reason Ford is discontinuing many of their sedans is that they simply don't compete on the global market. It's that simple.

While people in the US are buying bigger vehicles, this isn't the case globally so the WSJ article is just sensationalizing the facts. Ford wants to focus on what's making them money both locally and internationally.

If you think this isn't a testament to Tesla's success then you might need your head checked. To say
they blew their chance to change the automotive industry
is really short sighted. Evidence that this isn't the case is all around. It's in their sales numbers, it's in the efforts of their competitors, and it's even straight from the mouths of some of Tesla's biggest critics.

The Model 3 "roll-out" has proven that Tesla has not learned from their mistakes

The Model 3 is vastly superior than the first Model Ss and Xs which came off the line. In addition, they are already nearly able to produce more Model 3s per week than both S and X. To suggest that every car sold has to go back to the service center is blatantly false.

If you say that you're not impressed with the roll out then you obviously haven't followed the roll out of any other car in history. How many Chevy Bolts did they make last week?

Let's compare to Toyota, they're a huge manufacturer right? The Prius was introduced in 1997, it took around 7 years to start producing over 2000 vehicles per week. By comparison, Tesla has done that same ramp up in under a year.

It takes sacrifice to transition from ICE to an EV
What you mention are early adopter pains. What takes real sacrifice would be going from an EV to an ICE.
  • Having to stop at gas stations every week
  • Constant oil changes
  • Not being able to maintain horsepower outside the power band
  • Oil stains on your driveway
  • Broken transmissions
  • If started in a closed garage can produce carbon monoxide and straight up kill you.
  • Not to mention the high incidence of gas vehicle fires, well over 100,000 per year in the US alone.
  • Headaches in the car buying process, sleazeball car salespeople.
The only reason people stand for this kind of crap is because they often don't have a choice. With Tesla, they finally have a choice. As others see this success, they try to replicate it and that can be a win for us all.

For 2 years, I've listed all the things that Tesla has done wrong in designing the Model 3. No Sirius Satellite Radio, no AUX port on the radio (that would be too easy), I don't want a glass roof, I don't like being forced into buying $14,000 worth of "options" I don't want, $1000 to change the paint color is ridiculous, etc.

And this whole phone as a key thing. No. Unnecessary technology that has more bad than good in it.

And my 3 will be delivered tomorrow. It was supposed to be Saturday but the credit union screwed up in mailing the check. Tesla wouldn't let it get delivered with a "the check is in the mail" excuse for $45K.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Not sure if glass roof adds any value at all. I can see the glass is quite warm/hot when parked in the sun. it sure radiates heat inside, which has to be cooled by the AC working a bit harder consuming more electricity.

in Musk terms, a 'boneheaded' move.

I have slowly come to appreciate the keyless entry and driving. It kind of felt odd having no keys in the pocket, and then there are odd quirks that although it lets me in all the time, I occasionally have to get the key card out to get it shift from P to D. But overall this keyless driving is a plus. Very similar to absence of start button. You get used to it and start liking it.

Also I was very vocal in complaining about the absence of speed and AP display in the front. Specifically about the need to adjust speed using the UI. Now after a week, I don't think those are of any concern. Scroll wheel works fine for AP speed adjustment.