Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think the performance AWD specs will make us say "wow"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have this feeling that the performance AWD Model 3 will be an insane value proposition for those looking for a performance car. I'm calling it now that it will be sub 3.0 seconds 0-60. The reason I think this is because I believe that Tesla can do this at a price point that is both "affordable" and has high margins. I'm guessing that a stripped performance AWD car (no PUP or autopilot, base color & wheels) will be about $60,000. That price gets a lot of people in the door and they will be sold after one launch.

Men can have their performance car that is also their family car. I predict that the high-end Mustang/Camero/Charger/Challenger sales will take a very noticeable hit.

It's hard to know, but I think it comes down to profit/car and how many they think they can sell at that price vs. the base price of the 100D. The 100D is much more expensive which limits the market and the margins aren't necessarily higher.

I would look at the M3 for clues as to price on the Model 3 performance version. Probably a high 60s/low 70s starting price, probably top out close to $100k.
I'd guess low 3s for 0-60. Don't see it luring many of the pony car crowd, they are too different of cars. The high end pony cars handle way better, and are more track focused, where as the 3 will never make a great track car. I do think it will steal M3/RS4/C63 buyers though.

I have this feeling that the performance AWD Model 3 will be an insane value proposition for those looking for a performance car. I'm calling it now that it will be sub 3.0 seconds 0-60. The reason I think this is because I believe that Tesla can do this at a price point that is both "affordable" and has high margins. I'm guessing that a stripped performance AWD car (no PUP or autopilot, base color & wheels) will be about $60,000. That price gets a lot of people in the door and they will be sold after one launch.

Men can have their performance car that is also their family car. I predict that the high-end Mustang/Camero/Charger/Challenger sales will take a very noticeable hit.
I think the price is optimistic. I’m betting the Model 3 P follows a simpilar price structure to the Model S and X, which is major options included. I’m betting on a $70k base with EAP, FSD and maybe the 20” wheels as the only options.

I would guess $68.5K plus as follows:

$44K - base, large battery
$5K - Dual Motor
$2K - 20" rims (likely mandatory)
$5K - PUP (likely mandatory)
$2.5K - Air Suspension
$10K - Performance version (note: wheels could be part of this pkg like it was with Performance Plus models)
====
$68.5K

Heck destination fee puts you at $70K. Figure upper $70s as soon as you add AP and a "color". Basically, as others have said, this will really be a BMW M3, RS4, etc. competitor with similar pricing. Sorry, there is no "free lunch".

Reactions: Blue in NC
wow tesla.jpg