Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you think we will get a USS Retrofit?

If Tesla adds USS (Ultrasonic Sensors) back to their cars would they offer a retrofit?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2023 Tesla Model Y, overall it's been a great car. Except for the fact it doesn't have USS, I find it mind-boggling that Tesla would remove such a necessity. I live in Canada so the snow always builds up on the back of the car, and the camera is always covered. I constantly get warnings that cameras are blinded and autopilot is disabled. I'm not sure what Tesla and Elon were thinking but it was stupid.

Features like auto-park, park-assist, and many others don't work on a 100K car, this is unacceptable.

I also doubt Tesla Vision will fix any of those issues as it will literally brake and move the car whenever someone sees someone coming from the other direction.

Tesla should offer a retrofit (if they even USS back to their cars).

Holes can be drilled. But yeah don’t see it happening.

I normally am very much in the "there is no chance a manufacturer retrofits XXX" camp, but in this case, I dont know. The issue that tesla will run into is that they (tesla) specifically stated this was "coming soon" so that if they never get the feature working with vision only, they are going to have to do "something". Either retrofit, or provide some sort of compensation.

Im not a lawyer, not pretending to be, but unlike a lot of things people complain about with "things Tesla", this particular one seems like either the feature needs to be provided, or compensation provided for all the cars that dont have USS.

No way.

For all those who have one on order, you need to understand that your car will be lacking some safety features and a malfunctioning Autopilot. My EDD is in a few weeks and I have no right to complain if I accept delivery.
USS has nothing to do with safety features, nor does it have anything to do with autopilot. Existing vehicles that had radar have had it disabled, and parking beeps is not a safety feature.

Saying "your car will not have parking sensors, and summon wont work" is accurate. Saying it has anything to do with safety features isnt.

USS has nothing to do with safety features, nor does it have anything to do with autopilot. Existing vehicles that had radar have had it disabled, and parking beeps is not a safety feature.

Saying "your car will not have parking sensors, and summon wont work" is accurate. Saying it has anything to do with safety features isnt.
USS is definitely a safety feature. Objects, as in living human beings, behind and front of your car is not always noticeably caught on camera. Radar, which is also missing, was the mechanism that helped Auto Pilot. There are multiple of complaints that Auto Pilot is unsafe due to phantom braking.

USS is definitely a safety feature. Objects, as in living human beings, behind and front of your car is not always noticeably caught on camera. Radar, which is also missing, was the mechanism that helped Auto Pilot. There are multiple of complaints that Auto Pilot is unsafe due to phantom braking.
Radar is missing on all teslas whether they have the physical module or not, so that makes zero current difference in the use of autopilot between new and existing fleet of teslas.

• Disagree
Reactions: SPF
There is not a snowball’s chance in hell that Tesla is going to retroactively wire and mount parking sensors in some ~half a million cars and counting.

It’s frankly ridiculous to even pose the question. Not happening.

lol yeah. I am still waiting for my "recall" with the trunk harness and that is just a simple job. Imagine drilling holes on both bumpers and rewiring.