Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a screen protector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I don't use one on my X. Just like I don't use one on my phone. I just prefer using the screen without one because I don't like the extra gap between my finger and the screen when there is a screen protector. But of course, I could see why people want one. Its just preference....

If you really want one, I recommend the abstract ocean ones. My friend has one, and he says it's great!

Reactions: Bogobec
I installed one on my 1st two screens, but I've decided to go without after the latest replacement. Part of me wonders if the screen yellowing has anything to do with heat being trapped by that little extra bit of plastic over the screen.

Of course, even if my most recent screen doesn't yellow, it won't be empirical evidence, but I figured I'd see how it went.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
I installed one on my 1st two screens, but I've decided to go without after the latest replacement. Part of me wonders if the screen yellowing has anything to do with heat being trapped by that little extra bit of plastic over the screen.

Of course, even if my most recent screen doesn't yellow, it won't be empirical evidence, but I figured I'd see how it went.

i don't think so because i was in two different 2018 loaners with low miles (under 4000 mi) and both had newer MCU2 and very thick dark yellow borders. and our 2017 Model X had it too and has never had a protector.

i don't think so because i was in two different 2018 loaners with low miles (under 4000 mi) and both had newer MCU2 and very thick dark yellow borders. and our 2017 Model X had it too and has never had a protector.
Yeah, I didn't have any real evidence to suggest it was the cause, just wild speculation, but thanks for a few extra data points. I'm hoping it's just crappy luck, but it's not reassuring that it's still happening on 2018s.

I don’t use one on my phone either but was curious what experienced owners had to say I’m very new to Tesla. I haven’t had my model x long. I love it. Considering a model 3 before the tax credit goes away and before I lose more value on my potential trades.

Sorry for the off topic rant. It doesn’t seem like too many people use them. I guess worst case scenario something happens to it and I just pay Tesla to fix it. I’m not too worried about that though.

My question is: will it really protect the screen from accidental hits from the objects inside the car? Finger prints and oil stains can be easily wiped clean without a protector. If there's an antiglare/ scratch resistant coating on the original screen, will the glass screen protector make them ineffective?

My question is: will it really protect the screen from accidental hits from the objects inside the car? Finger prints and oil stains can be easily wiped clean without a protector. If there's an antiglare/ scratch resistant coating on the original screen, will the glass screen protector make them ineffective?

I haven't noticed an anti-glare coating on the original screen and a glass protector would protect the screen even better from scratches. You can get glass protectors that are anti-glare too. I've thought about replacing the existing protector with an anti-glare glass one.

If you have anything flying around the cabin that could damage the screen, you either have some pretty unruly kids who are putting your head in danger from flying objects, or you've been in an accident severe enough you probably aren't worried about the survival of the screen because the car has been totaled.

Late to the conversation. I got a screen protector from Abstract Ocean, they are not easy to apply, and I removed as much lint as I could and prepared it according to instructions but still left little bubbles here that you can hardly see... but am glad that the screen is protected, cleans up fingerprints well, and I think I have a backup screen protector in my closet, it comes with two.

Mike P

Late to the conversation. I got a screen protector from Abstract Ocean, they are not easy to apply, and I removed as much lint as I could and prepared it according to instructions but still left little bubbles here that you can hardly see... but am glad that the screen is protected, cleans up fingerprints well, and I think I have a backup screen protector in my closet, it comes with two.

Mike P
Thank you; I bought a glass protector and yet to install it as I'm still waiting for the delivery. I'm worried whether it'd be easy to replace it in future without damaging the original screen?