Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a Tesla Wall Connector?

Which of these do you use in your garage?

• Tesla Wall Connector

Votes: 78 64.5%
  • NEMA 14-50 outlet

Votes: 43 35.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If your main circuit panel is in the garage of your house like mine was it's pretty easy to do yourself. Just get the #6 insulated wire for the 60 Amp circuit, measure your wire run, and then wire across your garage ceiling by using the appropriate stables no need for conduit if it's the proper wire type with insulation. The TWC is easy to mount to the wall, just mount it using the wood screws and find a 2x4 in the wall to screw it too. Then connect up the #6 wire to TWC, 2 powers, black and red, and white goes to ground. On your circuit panel replace one of your breakers with the 60 Amp breaker, I replaced my dryer breaker which was 30 Amp. Run the black and red wire to the new circuit breaker, and white to circuit panel neutral bus bar which is ground. You'll likely have to remove the power meter to do this, just break the seal, turn off the main breaker, and pull out the meter. Now your entire main panel has no power, run the #6 wire into the panel and connect to the 60 Amp circuit breaker and your done. The TWC will glow green if all is OK when you turn on the main power. I'd post some photos but it's your basic TWC on a wall with a black #6 wire running out the top of it.

I acutally have the Nema 14-50 outlet and the HPWC that I added a cord and plug so I would still be able to use my outlet when my buddies come over with there other EV's and need to charge. I do have plans down the road to add a 100 amp breaker and second HPWC for our future X.

Garage already had a 14-30 socket, so I bought a HPWC and wired a 14-30 drier plug to it and just plugged it in. Also limited it to 20 Amps.

I charge overnight, so it is always topped off in the morning. Plus I can keep the portable charger in the trunk if I need to go somewhere without having to gather it up.

Installed a 14-50 outlet in the garage and using a Tesla Corded Mobile Connector which has the male end attached. Wasn't going to do it, but decided that it will add some value to the house. We had to run 110 ft. of number 6 cable from one side of the garage up and over to the opposite wall. $287 for cable, CB, plug and box. The electrician charged $200.

Attachments

• 20190302_075457.jpg
    20190302_075457.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20190302_075514.jpg
    20190302_075514.jpg
    402.1 KB · Views: 113