Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a windshield sunshade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go back and forth on if it's worth it to purchase one of those collapsible windshield shades...

It's only a lousy $25 or so, but I think it's one of those things I'll purchase, use once or twice, then stick in the frunk and never use again!

Live in LA, I park in my driveway, and during the summer, it gets over 100 degrees. This brings on the cabin overheat protection, which does run down the battery slightly, if my car isn't plugged in.

So... have any of you purchased the collapsible sunshade such as this one Chirano Sunshade

Does it sit in your trunk/frunk, or do you find it's not much of a hassle to install it every day (well... during the summer)

Thanks in advance. I searched previous threads, and didn't really find what I was looking for.

I have a Covercraft UVS100 custom-fit sunscreen. Cost was around $80. Folds up and fits between trunk and trunk liner (Tesla/ WeatherTech).

I also found a all-glass cover on Amazon, which I use when sleeping in the car. Have not tested for heat reduction.
This item is out of stock, but I bet you can find similar.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZHFJBMY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also check out roof glass shades, which occasionally are listed here on TMC for sale

Another satisfied Covercraft repeat customer here. Used them on previous Lexuses, Model S, and Model Y. Much better than the collapsible/wire frame versions. CoverCraft windshield sun shade, and a roof sun shade, together really keeps the temps down and the roof sunshade makes a huge efficiency difference while driving. I can run the AC 3-5 degrees warmer than normal and still be comfortable.

I have a Covercraft UVS100 custom-fit sunscreen. Cost was around $80. Folds up and fits between trunk and trunk liner (Tesla/ WeatherTech).

Also check out roof glass shades, which occasionally are listed here on TMC for sale

Yikes!
Covercraft shows them for $95!

I don't want to come off as cheap, but... well, OK. I'm cheap!

NINTY FIVE DOLLARS??? What are these things made of?

I did pick up the Amazon roof shade, and it fits perfectly, no sun shining through, and it really does reduce the heat. I'll leave it in until mid September, then enjoy the sky view during the winter! Saw a comparison between the Tesla model ($160) and the Amazon versions ($45-55) and the difference was negligible. Went with the Amazon version because I'm , um... frugal.

Thanks for the input. Have to decide if I should spring for the Covercraft, or cheap out with the collapsible version with the wire inside.

Reactions: Tinkerin and rjpjnk
Yikes!

I did pick up the Amazon roof shade, and it fits perfectly, no sun shining through, and it really does reduce the heat. I'll leave it in until mid September, then enjoy the sky view during the winter! Saw a comparison between the Tesla model ($160) and the Amazon versions ($45-55) and the difference was negligible. Went with the Amazon version because I'm , um... frugal.

Thanks for the input. Have to decide if I should spring for the Covercraft, or cheap out with the collapsible version with the wire inside.
Inflation. I agree $95 is pretty high. I bought mine last year for $70 and years ago they were $58.

I tried two different versions of the common wired ones and they were too floppy, didn’t fit all that well, and were difficult to fold while sitting in the car. With the CoverCraft I can still easily fold it flat without hitting someone in the front passenger seat and then I just rest the CoverCraft atop the dash for quick and easy access.

As for the roof sunshade I also went with the cheaper Amazon option. If I had to do it again I’d still get the CoverCraft because I’ve had it on multiple vehicles and served me well. It is a pricey but quality product that has outperformed everything else I’ve tried. In fact, my Dad drives my old Lexus and the 6-year-old CoverCraft windshield sun shade still looks brand new and going strong. Basically buy once and use forever…or however long you plan to keep the vehicle.

Last edited:
Found the Covercraft UVS 100 at Autoanything for $68, with 10% off now for Fathers Day, plus free shipping! Total cost with tax $67.

As an added bonus, they offered it in silver or blue metallic! As I have a blue Model Y... I went with the blue color!

Thanks for all of the feedback! Really appreciate it.

Anyone know if it'll fit in the frunk or sub-trunk?
That’s awesome, great find! I had the blue sunshade for my Lexus and wanted blue again for the Y, but CoverCraft did not offer that color for the Y back when I ordered.

Sorry to report it does not fit in the subtrunk, not even vertically at a diagonal.

As for the frunk it won’t rest inside the frunk. It can only be laid atop the frunk void but still below the height of the rubber gasket so you can close the hood safely but I wouldn’t do this.

552A2939-5843-4EC1-906A-742DCE17F0E8.jpeg

Last edited:
If the Covercraft shield is in the frunk, it isn't very convenient for intermittent use. I simply place mine in the passenger footwell, and the passenger just has to deal with it... 🤣 🤣

I have the two-piece HeatShield installed in the roof glass. It's not pretty, but the heat rejection is as close to 100% as you're going to get.

I've had the full set of these for years and love them. I use the windshield and roof shades the most and use the others for the occasional car camping trip.

Reactions: rjpjnk
Just ordered a covercraft because of the positive reviews on this thread
Ha Ha, joke's on you - everyone here is just a shill for Covercraft! :p
Seriously, I've seen a lot of positive reviews, so I'm sure they're pretty good; I've just been too cheap to pull the trigger on a $90 sun shade. For those that have ordered them, how thick are they when folded up? Tesmanian also has one that looks pretty good

I got something like this from Autozone. It's a lot cheaper, but you also get what you pay for. It doesn't fit real well and is finicky to get in place but it does help. A sun shade will help reduce the rate at which your car warms up, reduce the sun damage of the dash and make the steering wheel, arm rests and seats much more comfortable on a sunny day. This is actually why I got the white interior on my MY - my previous car had black leather and it was horribly hot to sit on for a significant part of the year.

I have the two-piece HeatShield installed in the roof glass. It's not pretty, but the heat rejection is as close to 100% as you're going to get.
I got one from tasmanian that is a black mesh that also has an opaque reflective silver cover you can put on top. it definitely helps. The thing to remember is, even with the tinting the sunroof glass gets very hot and effectively turns into a radiator. A roof sunshade not blocks that radiant heat as well as adds a layer of air inbetween the glass and the shade which also helps to insulate.

Just ordered a covercraft because of the positive reviews on this thread

I love my covercraft windshield heat protectors. I have been using them for years (prior to my teslas). I found out that covercraft made BMWs "OEM" heat shield. When I leased BMWs, I used to always get the dealer to "throw in" a windshield heat shield, after negotiating the deal at whatever under invoice I was at during those deals.

The ONLY negative part is that they are a bit unwieldy. I put mine in the back seat on the floor, because I almost never have rear back passengers. Other than that, they work awesome for their purpose. They help keep the car cooler and also keep direct sun off the dash. I have dark tinted windows, and when I sit in the car for any length of time (like eating lunch watching neftlix or something at work), I also put up the windshield protector, and basically no one can see you.

For those that have ordered them, how thick are they when folded up?

Hmm.. well they fold in an accordion style. the thickness isnt what makes them unwieldy, its the length actually. Curious because you asked, I just went out and measured the one in my wifes model Y (instead of mine in my model 3, since this is the model Y subforum lol). Its a bit under 2 inches thick, folded, at its widest point, but its 34.5 inches or so long, and cant be folded any smaller than that.

Its worth it to me, but it absolutely takes up more room than the wired circle style. It works so good for its stated purpose though, I am willing to deal with the fact that its somewhat unwieldy. If I couldnt put it in the rear footwell (which is what I do in both cars), I wouldnt use it.

Because I can put it there, however, I use it every time I park the car, except for when its parked in my garage. In my 4 year old model 3, the dash still looks brand new (as well as front seats etc. I dont spend a lot of time cleaning the dash or seats, but do put up the sunscreen every time as I said, unless parked in my enclosed garage.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Hmm.. well they fold in an accordion style. the thickness isnt what makes them unwieldy, its the length actually. Curious because you asked, I just went out and measured the one in my wifes model Y (instead of mine in my model 3, since this is the model Y subforum lol). Its a bit under 2 inches thick, folded, at its widest point, but its 34.5 inches or so long, and cant be folded any smaller than that.

Its worth it to me, but it absolutely takes up more room than the wired circle style. It works so good for its stated purpose though, I am willing to deal with the fact that its somewhat unwieldy. If I couldnt put it in the rear footwell (which is what I do in both cars), I wouldnt use it.

Because I can put it there, however, I use it every time I park the car, except for when its parked in my garage. In my 4 year old model 3, the dash still looks brand new (as well as front seats etc. I dont spend a lot of time cleaning the dash or seats, but do put up the sunscreen every time as I said, unless parked in my enclosed garage.
Thanks - the Y has a petty big windshield so anything that covers it completely is also going to be pretty big. I've had some other sunscreens that were a bit thinner and could actually tuck between the console and the passenger seat. That's a pretty narrow space in the Y, though. The Accordion-style screens may be a bit bigger to store but they're definitely easier to fold and unfold than the wired circles I have.

Thanks for the added info, very useful!

The reason why I started looking into a sun shade, tinting or both for the windshield is because after 14 months of my 2021 Model Y being parked mostly outside in the northeast my steering wheel is starting to bubble from what I assume to be caused by heat.

Yikes!

Oh come on.
Apparently not cheap enough. You got 22 MY. Cheap would be used Nissan Leaf :)
Another satisfied Covercreft owner 👍

Reactions: Pricedm