Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use a windshield sunshade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I go back and forth on if it's worth it to purchase one of those collapsible windshield shades...

It's only a lousy $25 or so, but I think it's one of those things I'll purchase, use once or twice, then stick in the frunk and never use again!

Live in LA, I park in my driveway, and during the summer, it gets over 100 degrees. This brings on the cabin overheat protection, which does run down the battery slightly, if my car isn't plugged in.

So... have any of you purchased the collapsible sunshade such as this one Chirano Sunshade

Does it sit in your trunk/frunk, or do you find it's not much of a hassle to install it every day (well... during the summer)

Thanks in advance. I searched previous threads, and didn't really find what I was looking for.
yes i have older S prone to the screen glue melting, but i cant help thinking the baking sun aint good for ANYTHING in on or near dash or seats. I just roll mine up and toss in back set, easy to use

these are aircraft quality (used in private planes where heat can really kill expensive stuff

For those interested, Amazon currently has the blue version of the Model Y Covercraft windshield sunscreen on sale for $46.57 (Normal price $74.99.)

If the link doesn't take you directly to the correct version, make sure you pick the "Blue Metallic" one, and Amazon.com as the seller. (It likes to default to a third-party seller at a higher price.)
Thanks for the tip! At that price, I think I’ll give it a shot. I have a cheap one that gets the job done, but curious to see what the extra few dollars buys me. Amazon is currently showing 4-6 weeks to ship, but I’m patient.

Yeah I use it only in the summertime. I don't find a need for it in the wintertime. The one I purchased was from CoverCraft. It is great quality, however because it's stiff I can't really put it anywhere in the car except the trunk. So I have to go back there every time I need to use it. I can leave it in the floor of the rear seats. but then the kids may step on it. In either case, It works great, Just don't find a need in the winter.

I bought the full set of HeatShield shades and it was a terrible decision. They'd block the light, if only they stayed up. I spoke with HeatShield Customer Service department about it, and TWICE they sent me a bunch of new suction cups and expected me to put them in! It was not easy to do, and even then the shades continues to fall down. The front windshield shade was so wrinkled and flimsy that it buckled and created a giant gap for the sun to come in on the passenger side. Aesthetically, I found HeatShield's wrinkled surface to be an ugly look on a $100K car. I would have put up with it if it was a more effective, better designed product.

Covercraft, on the other hand, is heavy duty, gorgeous, fits perfectly, and folds up easily when not in use. I bought the Tesla pano sunroof shades and rear liftgate shades, and those are also excellent, blocking a surprising about of UV/IR light, while also being see-through. These sunshades aren't cheap, but I don't mind spending more for a better-made product. I consider the cost of the Covercraft and the Tesla shades to well worth it.

I go back and forth on if it's worth it to purchase one of those collapsible windshield shades...

It's only a lousy $25 or so, but I think it's one of those things I'll purchase, use once or twice, then stick in the frunk and never use again!

Live in LA, I park in my driveway, and during the summer, it gets over 100 degrees. This brings on the cabin overheat protection, which does run down the battery slightly, if my car isn't plugged in.

So... have any of you purchased the collapsible sunshade such as this one Chirano Sunshade

Does it sit in your trunk/frunk, or do you find it's not much of a hassle to install it every day (well... during the summer)

Thanks in advance. I searched previous threads, and didn't really find what I was looking for.
I use it and also roof sunshield during every summer

I use it as well as sunshades for the roof every summer

I was seeing reviews of covercraft usv100 on youtube but it seems it does not fit snug around the top camera and there is quite a big gap . I really wanted one for my 2023 Model Y but not able to find photos. If any of you have a 2023 Model y can you post photos of your fit especially around the top camera ?

Have had the UVS100 on my 2021 LR Y for almost two years and love it. Easily the best sunshade on the market. I wouldn't worry about the gaps near the forward cameras, it still blocks out a tremendous amount of heat and light. I also had the UVS100 on my previous Model S and two Lexus LS cars before that. I keep coming back to CoverCraft because I still haven't come across something better...other products are cheaper, but certainly not better.

I actually appreciate the little gap so I can still hang my wife's disability placard with the sunshade up.

20230617_142721.jpg
20230617_142825.jpg
20230616_213150.jpg

Have had the UVS100 on my 2021 LR Y for almost two years and love it. Easily the best sunshade on the market. I wouldn't worry about the gaps near the forward cameras, it still blocks out a tremendous amount of heat and light. I also had the UVS100 on my previous Model S and two Lexus LS cars before that. I keep coming back to CoverCraft because I still haven't come across something better...other products are cheaper, but certainly not better.

I actually appreciate the little gap so I can still hang my wife's disability placard with the sunshade up.

View attachment 948045View attachment 948046View attachment 948047
Thank you so much. Ordering now in blue.