Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Use DRLs

Do You Use DRLs?

• Always

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • Never

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope not a miss print when i went for a test drive last month the Tesla guy said that LED DRL's are not standard anymore.

Okay for the US, but the Canadian site says they're optional (Tech Package) as well. Since DRLs are mandatory standard equipment in Canada, I wonder how they get around that? Maybe they just use the regular headlights (also acceptable) instead of the LED "eyebrows" here...

- - - Updated - - -

The safety issue never really resonated with me. I'm sure there are studies that show that they save accidents, but I don't feel like they really help me see other cars, so I struggle to understand how they help others to see my car.

My philosophy is why make the assumption that just because it's not a problem for me, it shouldn't be a problem for anyone else. Even if it's the other guy's fault, I'd rather not be lying in a hospital bed thinking about it. If it just gives me the slightest edge that someone else may see me where they may otherwise not have, that reason enough for me to use them.

Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) are compulsory in Canada and can't be over-ridden like they can on US models.

I was quite involved in some of the discussions around DRLs back in the late 80's / early 90's when they became mandatory here, and there was quite a bit of controversy over their use. Personally, I am a big fan.

I've seen many US photos and videos of the Model S with DRLs off, and it made me wonder how many people use them.

Do you use the DRL option on your car?

I turn them off at the drive-in!

In Europe it looks as though DRL's are standard and not part of the Tech package. I have to say 'looks' because in the UK we cannot access any of the information about the tech package on the GB web site. I got access to the EU site earlier today and DRL is not in the package.