Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use Sentry Mode at work? (poll)

Where do you use sentry mode? (multiple selections possible)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I definitely engage sentry mode when I'm stopping at the grocery store or some other public place (especially when charging publicly since sentry mode while charging doesn't reduce the charge rate/speed). But I have stopped using it at work because:

1. I park at the rear of the lot
2. In general I think that people at my work are careful around my car/they know me
3. Its an employee only lot
4. Drain during the workday is massive, and really adds up over the week (about 20-30km/day is what I saw in the days I had it on).

So, poll time: if you are in a 'known' location like a workplace or in your own driveway at home, do you enable sentry mode?

Is it possible that the very heavy drain (30 km over the course of the day is VERY heavy) is directly related to parking in high traffic spots where the sentry mode is being continually activated because of passing car / pedestrian traffic? I had it on over night in my driveway for a solid 8 hour period (when there is hopefully very little activity!) and the drain was pretty low.

I stopped using sentry at work every day because of it filling the usb drive, requiring me to bring the drive to a computer to reformat. I wish Tesla would add a feature to display available free space and format the drive.
That's a good point I forgot to mention: I find that when I have sentry mode on for the workday it often fills the stick and/or corrupts it causing it to need to be formatted/deleted. Actually sentry mode did kill one of my usb sticks....cant write to the stick anymore, it shows up as 'write protected' in windows, and you cant remove write protection. I can still read the files on the stick but everything I've tried from online guides fails, and according to those guides it means the usb is pooched.

I use Sentry mode in the following locations and reasons why:

When parked at work - I work at a university and while my parking lot is mainly for staff/faculty. After 4pm, students are allowed to park there (I Get off at 5pm) After owning my Model 3 for 4 months. Some "student" door dings the rear bumper of my car and since Sentry mode wasn't released I wasn't able to hold anyone accountable and had to use insurance to get it fixed.

When parking in public places for quick stops (mall, grocery store, etc) - Most public places I park near the back and/or near a spot where one side is protected by a tree or divider. (My rule is better safe than sorry to have sentry mode on to record any occurrences and live with the loss miles and filled up USB drive files)

When charging in a public place - While I mostly charge at home, my work does offer 2 free hour charging using L2 Chargepoint. I tend to like to keep sentry mode on just in case any dumbass wants to decide to unplug me (This hasn't happened yet)

41YNm1GPRWL._AC_SY400_.jpg

This is what I use so I can review video on my phone from in the car. Also, delete files.
I use Sentry mode everywhere that isn't IN my garage.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I do it in public parking, shady areas and at work buuuut... I park in a multistory parking garage at work which is for employees. If I park in a spot that has a space open next to it, I'll leave sentry mode on for <1 hour because I know the spots will fill kinda sequentially before the next level starts to fill so if some f**ker dings my door, I have it recorded while also not filling the stick up too much or using too much range up... I love that you can toggle it on/off through the app.

I do it in public parking, shady areas and at work buuuut... I park in a multistory parking garage at work which is for employees. If I park in a spot that has a space open next to it, I'll leave sentry mode on for <1 hour because I know the spots will fill kinda sequentially before the next level starts to fill so if some f**ker dings my door, I have it recorded while also not filling the stick up too much or using too much range up... I love that you can toggle it on/off through the app.
Hmmm, that's an interesting way to run it. Might give that a try at work since I would be in a similar situation. I try and park away from people, but usually the lot fills up (or people just like to park next to me and pretend they are walking to my car at the end of the day instead of their smelly ICE :cool:)