Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do You Use Your Active Air?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like pretty much anything on the forum, you won't find any sort of consensus. :tongue:

Some people steer clear of the active air because they fear a high repair bill.
Others will swear it rides noticeably better than the standard setup.
Still others say there is no difference and it is a waste of money.
FWIW, I will be getting active air on my Model S.

Regarding post editing; when you have a certain amount of posts on your profile (~10, I believe), an EDIT button will appear next to REPLY at the bottom of any of your posts.

I have used it going into a particularly bad (sharp dip on the ramp) underground parking lot, and to drive in an unassumed country road to a friend's cottage, but that's about it. Day to day it operates "automatically" by lowering on the freeway.

I use it to raise the car up when I am going through an automatic gate at work. Without going to 'high' I hit the bump. Don't know how the 'standard' setting with air compares to the regular suspension though

It's really nice to have when you need it—to keep from scraping the nose of the car. If you can afford it, I'd go for it.

x2.

I was on fence, but when I ordered +, you have to get it. I'm glad I did, as I think I will enjoy the ride more and have peace of mind for high angle approaches, without hearing a nasty scraping of my underside first.

I will enjoy the ride more and have peace of mind for high angle approaches, without hearing a nasty scraping of my underside first.

You gotta remember to use it, though. I didn't the first time I entered that garage I mentioned above, and did end up hitting the ground. Fortunately, the scrape is way under the lip and you'd only see it if it is up on a hoist (or you're lying on the ground in front of the car).

Guess it depends on where you live as well and how likely you are to fearlessly ascend the dreaded steep driveway. Here in central Texas, I use it as part of my car tour, but otherwise rather useless for me. I have noticed no difference when comparing to standard suspension. In fact the standard susp car had much less road noise, but that was likely 2/2 19" wheels and higher VIN.

In the 3.5 months I've had the car, I didn't use it at all the 1st three months. Then I've had occasion to use it 2 or 3 times in the last couple of weeks for roads or parking situations that required them. Glad I had it when I needed it.

Guess it depends on where you live as well and how likely you are to fearlessly ascend the dreaded steep driveway. Here in central Texas, I use it as part of my car tour, but otherwise rather useless for me. I have noticed no difference when comparing to standard suspension. In fact the standard susp car had much less road noise, but that was likely 2/2 19" wheels and higher VIN.

For me in the Austin area mandatory. Lots of hills with drives going up or down, steep driveways, downtown parking garages or lots, speed bumps, etc. I'm glad it's coming equipped. And from test ride, certainly a smoother ride vs one without.

I have had passengers comment on the smooth ride. It is very nice combination with the smooth power train. I am using the active air more all the time. I use it at steep driveways that may cause the car to scrape and when parking at high curbs. If I parallel park adjacent to a tall curb it is helps the passenger get out and opening the door. If one of our elderly relatives is getting in or out of the car it is very helpful. Since there are no handles and the window has no frame, there is nothing for a passenger with limited mobility to grab. It has taken me a while to remember (retrain myself) to use it, but now that I do, it is definitely something I would order.

I use the Active Air several times per week. MIL has a steep driveway, so have to lift to High then. Also when she gets out of the car, to be able to raise the car makes it easier to get in and out. I live near a couple of shopping centers that put speed bumps the size of mountains in the parking lot, so I have to raise for those....I never want to scrape the bottom of the S. I love that the car lowers itself on the highway for aerodynamics! :biggrin: