Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use your frunk?

Do you use your frunk?

• All the time

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 132 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use my frunks regularly. In fact, we took our 3 for Christmas travel, and we absolutely required it to fit all of the packages in the car (both trunks were completely full). Our S frunk was needed just a couple of days ago after a visit to Nebraska Furniture Mart that pushed the S's limits. I could live without frunks, but they have been quite useful.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I'm not willing to trust the frunk to thieves. as knightshade says, they probably know, already, that its ~12v on the front bumper.

I think we need a 'knock-on' way to activate the 12v unlock method. something you have to do, first, before it listens to your 12v.

(working on that idea)

No issues with closing the trunk, other than the fingerprints it leaves behind (yes, I'm that AR!).

I keep a small box with quick detail spray, glass cleaner and a few microfiber towels. I also keep my Ottosteer magnetic front license plate there and pop on when I park at meters. And then I use it for take-out food (pizza, Costco rotisserie chicken, Chinese food, etc.).

Or you have a 9 volt battery

I'm not willing to trust the frunk to thieves. as knightshade says, they probably know, already, that its ~12v on the front bumper.

I think we need a 'knock-on' way to activate the 12v unlock method. something you have to do, first, before it listens to your 12v.

(working on that idea)

I’m afraid I don’t follow? Is it easy to open the frunk without the use of the app ? Can anyone do it so easily ?

GAPING security hole, is what I call it.

like I said, I'm trying to think of a switch (magnetic reed or something) that has to be triggered in a secret spot, first, before a relay allows these wires to be effective (break the connection unless the pre-key is set, so to speak).

depending on 'thieves dont all know this yet' is NOT security!

essentially, the frunk is untrustable, even more than any other area in the car (no glass breakage needed).

I do understand that there's no good way to 'hide' the ability to unlock the frunk like this, since its an emergency move; but maybe a special keyed dongle or something that only the owner would have.

this is solvable. strange that tesla just punted on it.

• Disagree
Supposedly, this should only work when the primary 12V battery is dead.

That said, it doesn't appear to be the case.

There's a good case for this, but it needs to ensure that it always works when it needs to work, and that can be challenging. (but possible)

Best case implementation would be to ensure it always works when the 12V battery is low or dead, but rarely works when the system is fully functional.

There's a good case for this, but it needs to ensure that it always works when it needs to work, and that can be challenging. (but possible)

Best case implementation would be to ensure it always works when the 12V battery is low or dead, but rarely works when the system is fully functional.

It doesn't seem like it would be all that difficult with a shunt switch. When there's 12V, hold the shunt switch open for the emergency cables. When it fails, let the shunt close. Very similar to what emergency lights do - stay on house power while available; shunt over to battery at loss of current.

But I'm not an electrical engineer, and don't play one on TV! I'm sure there's a great reason it doesn't work that way today ...