Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use your frunk?

Do you use your frunk?

• All the time

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 132 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I use it when I’m carrying something that is wet or might get wet since the front is plastic. Ice and the like.

3-B8-B22-A2-3-A67-493-D-BCBE-9825493-F2-D09.jpg

Don't ever get distracted and leave these in there...

Reactions: qdeathstar
Use it all the time. I place my brief bag/backpack in there when I go into the office (vs. the back seat/floor). I use it for toting pizza (or other take out) so I do not make the cabin smell, I use it when I do the grocery shopping and the golf clubs and pull cart eat too much trunk space.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I'm not sure changing the spring fixes the fact the frunk lid is like 0.00001 mm of incredibly flimsy/thin aluminum and bends easily?

I might be misunderstanding this- hadn't really given it much thought, just saw it was flimsy thin metal, saw others who bent it closing it, and haven't needed the space.
I've heard this claim thrown around a lot about bending/denting the frunk, but I have yet to see any evidence at all. It seems like most of the comments are from someone who knows a guy who knows a guy. The few that do directly claim denting have not posted pics or followed up with thier frunk handling. There are lots of mechanically inept people in the world too who would very likely close the frunk in a manner in which you slam a traditional auto's hood, all the way until the day they dent it. I have to admit, even I slightly slammed my frunk on day one from like an inch or two up with one hand due to said tradition and not yet having looked into it. I have also read of others having used the trunk daily for years without issue. The frunk is actually fairly thick aluminum and wouldn't seem to dent easily. Also, it closes fairly easily without a lot of force for me... and I have only owned mine for a week, so the weather seals are not even broken in yet. I would be very surprised if my gentle closing actually dented it.

Reactions: bpjod
How much I use the frunk is dependent on how big it is and to a lesser degree how much other storage there is. I use the frunk on my F-150 quite a bit, the frunk on my RWD Model S with the big frunk periodically, and I used the frunk on my Model 3 only rarely.

I keep the leftover washer fluid and other car related things in there but not the charging cable. Otherwise I never use it. But now that I think about it, I never use the charging cable anymore since I installed my wall charger and it could go in there too. It is really pretty small, whereas I find the trunk to be spacious for the size of the car.

I've heard this claim thrown around a lot about bending/denting the frunk, but I have yet to see any evidence at all. It seems like most of the comments are from someone who knows a guy who knows a guy. The few that do directly claim denting have not posted pics or followed up with thier frunk handling. There are lots of mechanically inept people in the world too who would very likely close the frunk in a manner in which you slam a traditional auto's hood, all the way until the day they dent it. I have to admit, even I slightly slammed my frunk on day one from like an inch or two up with one hand due to said tradition and not yet having looked into it. I have also read of others having used the trunk daily for years without issue. The frunk is actually fairly thick aluminum and wouldn't seem to dent easily. Also, it closes fairly easily without a lot of force for me... and I have only owned mine for a week, so the weather seals are not even broken in yet. I would be very surprised if my gentle closing actually dented it.
Frunk denting is a real thing and was a major issue with the Model S. That's when Tesla gave guidelines to reduce the chances of doing it (guidelines that continue to exist in the Model 3 manual, as another pointed out).
Frunk Dent (Frustrating...)

That said, the prevalence of this for the Model 3 seems to be much less, as it appears to be beefed up.

There are however cases for Model Y where the hood bumpers are not adjusted properly and when the latch is engaged, it pulls down too much and causes two very visible dents (although they pop back out when hood is open).
PSA - small dents on all brand new Model Y hoods

My latch was in the wrong place when I got my car 2018 Model 3, which led to an underbite look for the hood and also it was hard to close (required lots of pressure). I unbolted the latching mechanism securing bolts in the frunk and moved it upwards slightly which fixed the fit and finish issue causing hood underbite and also fixed the the force required to close the frunk.

The owner's manual says to close the frunk in a specific way:
Okay, again, they don't necessarily say that because its hood is made of super thin aluminum. Again, it may be due to people having dented it after having treated it like a traditional auto's slam-down design. A more fragile hood (compared to traditional autos) doesn't necessarily equal cheap/flimsy aluminum.