Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use your frunk?

Do you use your frunk?

• All the time

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 132 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since there is no physical button to open the frunk, forcing you to use the app or the screen inside the car to open it, I really don't use the frunk, I threw the charger cable bag, tire repair kit and a snow brush up there (so I can wipe the snow off the rear window before opening the trunk and having it all slide into the trunk) but I can't see it being useful on a daily basis when the only mechanism for opening it from the outside is the app. I bought an app for my Apple Watch that has the capability, figuring maybe that would be more convenient, but the car takes so long to wake up when it's asleep that the app usually times out and takes 2-3 tries before it works.

For me the frunk is basically useless except to hold a few small things I'll use infrequently.

Since there is no physical button to open the frunk, forcing you to use the app or the screen inside the car to open it, I really don't use the frunk, I threw the charger cable bag, tire repair kit and a snow brush up there (so I can wipe the snow off the rear window before opening the trunk and having it all slide into the trunk) but I can't see it being useful on a daily basis when the only mechanism for opening it from the outside is the app. I bought an app for my Apple Watch that has the capability, figuring maybe that would be more convenient, but the car takes so long to wake up when it's asleep that the app usually times out and takes 2-3 tries before it works.

For me the frunk is basically useless except to hold a few small things I'll use infrequently.
You should get a fob. It allows you to open either the frunk or the trunk from the outside without the app.

I initially didn't use it due to the manual closing. I've installed the motorised actuators from Tesla Offer and now use it all the time. Not being as long and wide as the rear, things don't move around as much. My charging and tow gear is under the rear floor where the third row would be (MX). Yesterday I had a small outboard motor in the Frunk and packed groceries in the rear. Very convenient thanks to the actuators. After sales installation assistance from Tesla offer was brilliant too.

Same here as far as using it only to store emergency or infrequently used items. The only time I use it to transport goods is when I have to hide shopping bags there because I have to fold down the rear seats to reveal an empty trunk while parked in a public lot/garage.

When I got my TM3 in June 2018 the app was so slow to connect with the car that I rarely used it. I also feared damaging it by closing it improperly. Like others here, I eventually put all my car stuff (charging equipment, tire inflator, wash/drying microfibre towels, snow brush, etc.) in there so it would be out of the way in the trunk.

Now that the app wakes the car up within a couple seconds or less and I've gotten far more used to closing the frunk; I use it much more frequently these days. Also, when I reach my destination, opening it from the in-car screen is quicker than digging out/turning on my phone and the response is instantaneous, so I only require the app when approaching the car when parked.

It's actually fun to use the frunk in public, as where I live Teslas are still almost as rare as unicorns and it's funny to observe others puzzling out why I'm putting my groceries in the engine compartment. :D

• Funny
Reactions: turns2stone
I rarely use it not because it's hard to open but because it's fragile to close.... (see also the various threads of the one vs two handed close folks arguing with each other)

The trunk holds more anyway
a lighter latch spring is so easy to install and makes 1 hand frunk closing no problem. only takes 5 -10 seconds to do + getting a spring from the hardware store

I use it when I’m carrying something that is wet or might get wet since the front is plastic. Ice and the like.

3-B8-B22-A2-3-A67-493-D-BCBE-9825493-F2-D09.jpg

Attachments

• D2996B3F-8EDE-4EEF-BA93-2721D0DDE90D.jpeg
    D2996B3F-8EDE-4EEF-BA93-2721D0DDE90D.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 418
I use mine all the time, almost exclusively. I back-in to my parking space to charge up so it's easy to access, and with the frunk spring modification it's super easy to close. Best of all it's the perfect size for my groceries, and the bag hooks come in very handy (sorry new buyers).

a lighter latch spring is so easy to install and makes 1 hand frunk closing no problem. only takes 5 -10 seconds to do + getting a spring from the hardware store

I'm not sure changing the spring fixes the fact the frunk lid is like 0.00001 mm of incredibly flimsy/thin aluminum and bends easily?

I might be misunderstanding this- hadn't really given it much thought, just saw it was flimsy thin metal, saw others who bent it closing it, and haven't needed the space.