Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you use your frunk?

Do you use your frunk?

• All the time

Votes: 61 24.3%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 58 23.1%
  • Rarely

Votes: 132 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
I would appreciate a link to a weaker spring that will make the trunk easier to close.

I tried several and this one had the best balance of easy of closing while still consistently popping it up enough to actually open.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RG6C3I

To weak a spring will make it so it doesn’t pop at all and you'll have to wedge your fingers in there leverage it open.

I did this when I first got the car and was gung ho about using the frunk. I also tried the more powerful struts that make it pop all the way open, but they were so strong it popped open really fast and wobbled when it did.

• Informative
Reactions: turns2stone
A "frunk" is what I had in my 911 (sold to pay for the Model 3), and it was marginally better than putting grocery bags behind the front seats. It was actually more useful than the Tesla's frunk. As we usually get to the car in supermarket parking lots from behind, the trunk's the way to go. If the deeper bin were a touch wider, it'd be perfect for keeping grocery bags from falling over. (First World Problems).

I hated and rarely used the frunk as delivered. I put in the lighter spring but still didn’t use it much due to fingerprints and fragility. But once I bought the powered struts I use it all the time. Power open & close is the best. As others have said, food and stinky items, groceries, etc. go there to keep my interior stink-free.

I use it on every working day as I put my computer bag in it. I also have modified suspension so that it opens automatically. At the office, I pop the trunk from the inside. I also changed the latch spring so that I can easily close it with one hand.
Also ideal if you go for take-away food; no smell in the car itself.

motorised actuators from Tesla Offer

I didn't know that existed, and am tempted to get it just for the cool-factor. On delivery, my frunk was extremely hard to close, but on my fix-all-defects visit they made it reasonably hard to close. I still hardly ever use it for anything but charging cables(and soon a snow brush!) because I don't want to put handprints on my freshly washed hood unnecessarily.

The battery trick on the frunk shouldn't work unless car 12v battery is low or dead. That said, I'm not too surprised if it does. There's a lot of points where carelessness or cost cutting can end up compromising a smart but rarely considered or tested corner case feature.

One thoroughness check to anyone testing it -- it could make a difference whether or not the car is unlocked. So anyone testing should ensure car is locked before trying to pop the frunk with the voltage trick (it would make sense if the conditions for the voltage trick working is either dead 12v in car OR car is unlocked; in the latter case, this could be useful in limited scenarios where a person has the key but the normal buttons are disabled for some reason).

And, if you are a testing junky, another fun test is to see if valet mode has any impact (to further complicate the logic but also make it more complete, it could allow frunk to pop if 12v is dead OR (car is unlocked AND not in valet mode)).

Last edited:
I hated and rarely used the frunk as delivered. I put in the lighter spring but still didn’t use it much due to fingerprints and fragility. But once I bought the powered struts I use it all the time. Power open & close is the best. As others have said, food and stinky items, groceries, etc. go there to keep my interior stink-free.
I think with power open and close would get me to use it far more often but the cost has deterred me so far. I've seen it as low as $350 but still thinking that $200ish range would get me to bite. How much did you end up paying for yours?

I think with power open and close would get me to use it far more often but the cost has deterred me so far. I've seen it as low as $350 but still thinking that $200ish range would get me to bite. How much did you end up paying for yours?
I paid $425, which I agree with you is way too high. But it did finally make the frunk useful, so I would make the same decision again.

59E423BE-9A26-4502-BB3B-99FE4EB5155F.jpeg
On the weekends...;)