Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do you want Tesla to offer Solar Roof option on their cars?

Do you want a Solar Roof on your Tesla?

• Absolutely!

• Maybe, depends

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you want Tesla to offer Solar Roof option on their cars?
After all, skip the middleman and go direct from sun to moving.

HUGE caveat: the amount of energy gained is tiny compared to what a EV uses to move, its usefulness will be very minimal.
On the flip side, the Solar energy collected will compensate for energy used for cooling.

The big question is the added cost to add PV to the glass roof, perhaps $2000~3000 more?

The Poll can see who votes, no limit to vote period.

Recommend watch this video first.

I want this for a couple reasons.

In usually sunny SoCal, it will add up over time.

I use a shade with panoramic roofs to reduce the heat inside even further.

We have solar on our house and there's a gap between the panels and the roof so it acts like a shade. I'm guessing a direct mount doesn't have this benefit?

At the extreme end, it is possible to make a car that can be fully charged on solar alone, possible to never need plugging in, especially in west states.

APTERA2019_ASPHALT-DOORS-CLOSED_crop.jpeg

Reactions: mswlogo
A remainder, if not aware.

Not moving or anything, a Tesla consumes a bunch of watts. If sentry is on, or it gets too cold (can have sun on freezing days) the consumption is more.
A PV roof will compensate, perhaps even recoup, all the idle losses.

Here is ANOTHER car that claims to be able to be charged only by sun, and is about size of Model 3

5m2 solar cells and most efficient inverters​

435x0

This is interesting, motors in the hub
435x0

Model 3 is over 5 year old design, and is largely based on a 12 year old design, Tesla must be working on a new design (too soon for the low cost version, have too much backlog of current models)

Last edited: