Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Your Brakes Emit a Cheap Sounding Squeak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Slamming on the brakes repeatedly 100% from 70mph won't "hurt" the car?!
No, the brakes can handle plenty of abuse.
An ICE car going down a mountain sits on the brakes for minutes at a time. Our EVs get a very easy time of it.

I suggest braking heavily 3 or 4 times. No need to do absolute max braking with the ABS kicking in, just good heavy braking.
You'll need to do this every so often, because the brakes can actually build up rust on the disks from disuse.

Reading this post opened the flood gates for me…

The sqeaking of my Model X is the most embarrissing aspect of the car. After each wet night (and yes that does happen in The Netherlands) my car imitates the beating a wild pig when having to break in approach of the first junction (yes we have those as well in The Netherlands). Extremely shamefull to see all heads turning on the junction looking for that fool with his sqeaking car. My car has now twice the 6000 miles mentioned in this post…for me this is simply inferior material used in an 130K$ car…not even Kia’s level cars on the road manage to equal this inferiority.

Tesla’s inferiority does not end there…with its rubbery front suspention (resulting in sudden deflection of the car when driving over rut formation), 2 flat tyres in 6 months (have had zero flat tyres when driving Audi for the last 20 years), windows refusing to close, windows not responding to its buttons, moisture issues in the car, software being a construction site with much standard functionality not available, blazing internet speed that makes the navigation map build up look like watching a tretis game (where is the innovation that is said to be the trade mark of Mr E, 5G is around the corner), frequent rebooting needed becaused one of its systems being frozen, interior panels coming loose, nasty fold in the front seat leather as of hour 1 of owning the car, falcon wings refusing work because they are seeying stuff that is not there, paint on the back seats (most manufacturers would paint their cars pior to fitting the interior) and many rattles and sqeakes throughout the car. At least all of this is hinting to why annual service has its hefty price tag, but I would prefer having a more decent design upfront avoiding most issues.

Service seems to be totally absent…with handing over my list of notes failures/issues just weeks after the car was delivered, I only got 10 minute appointment in Tilburg just to receive a statement that my issues have been seen (which cost me an holiday and 3 hrs of driving…). I really enjoyed their statement that the issues with USB stick are caused by FAT32 formatting (yeah... its really annoying that there are so many variations of FAT32 to choose from..). It appears that Tesla is really paying attention to train their staff what BS to tell their customers…might be better to spend that training time on capability to fix stuff. Never received follow up after that visit, however escalating to leadership got me a whopping automated response…not all is lost yet.

Hilariously Tesla keeps sending emails on its referral program but never made the effort to ask about my customer satisfaction…waste of time guys...I strongly advise interested people to stay away from Tesla…just wait another year as most Germans will bring EV’s to market in 2018.

Someone would need to get Elon back to planet earth…as the white guy rightfully states things need to be made great again.

Just a nagging Dutch Guy

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Reading this post opened the flood gates for me…

The sqeaking of my Model X is the most embarrissing aspect of the car.

Similar problem with my S P85D (2014, Dec 2013 delivery, 27000 mi). After backing out of garage and turning wheel suspension makes a godawful squeal, sounds like steering suspension is about to fall off. Amazingly service response is "... that's normal..." instead of figuring out the root cause. Hope the suspension doesn't fail at speed. Will try to get it resolved at next service app't. (and yes, brakes still squeak, especially when wet. The pads just stick to the rotors momentarily. Other than the embarassing noise, and smiks from the neighbors, doesn't impact performance)

My model X (Jan 2016, 7500 km) still has similar problems although so far rather infrequently and it usually goes away quickly. I agree it's rather embarrassing.

It's not inevitable for EVs, as my BMW i3 never made such braking noise in wet weather. Either BMW did something clever with their braking system or their discs are made of a higher quality material.

I think Tesla is using the friction brakes less than even other EVs. I notice the few other EVs I've driven (Soul, Leaf, i3) all engage the friction brakes sooner even as they are doing regen. This lets them scrub the pads before the end of that first stop.

I think Tesla is using the friction brakes less than even other EVs. I notice the few other EVs I've driven (Soul, Leaf, i3) all engage the friction brakes sooner even as they are doing regen. This lets them scrub the pads before the end of that first stop.

You control the friction brakes by pressing the brake pedal. They are not applied by the car when you release the accelerator and regen.

If you care more about appearances (well, audibly speaking) than you do efficiency, you could turn regeneration to low and you'll likely never experience it. But you'll waste energy into heat and need to replace brake pads more quickly. Personally, that's not a trade off that works for me.

You control the friction brakes by pressing the brake pedal. They are not applied by the car when you release the accelerator and regen.
Sorry if I was not clear - I was talking about the first part of the brake pedal travel, when it is blending regen and friction braking. The friction engagement point on Tesla seems different than the other EVs I have driven. It's almost like the first part of the brake pedal travel slightly increases regen before the friction brakes engage. When departing in the morning I don't feel the rumble of the discs scrubbing until the third stop. On other EVs in the household you can feel it with the first stop.

Sorry if I was not clear - I was talking about the first part of the brake pedal travel, when it is blending regen and friction braking. The friction engagement point on Tesla seems different than the other EVs I have driven. It's almost like the first part of the brake pedal travel slightly increases regen before the friction brakes engage. When departing in the morning I don't feel the rumble of the discs scrubbing until the third stop. On other EVs in the household you can feel it with the first stop.

I, personally, have not noticed any additional regen when applying the brakes. I don't think there is any blending. I could be mistaken, so maybe someone else has data on this?

Then why do I occasionally see the green indication on the energy meter go all the way to the dotted line when first touching the brakes? I suppose it's possible that I'm still in the dead part of the friction brake pedal travel during the first two stops, then in the active zone after.

Then why do I occasionally see the green indication on the energy meter go all the way to the dotted line when first touching the brakes? I suppose it's possible that I'm still in the dead part of the friction brake pedal travel during the first two stops, then in the active zone after.

The two systems are independent and separate from each other. The regen kicks in immediately once you let go of the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal actuates the hydraulic brakes, just like a "normal" car.

The two systems are independent and separate from each other. The regen kicks in immediately once you let go of the accelerator pedal. The brake pedal actuates the hydraulic brakes, just like a "normal" car.
So there is absolutely no effort made to integrate the regenerative braking with the hydraulic braking? How is it that Tesla has such better transition from regen to hydraulic braking than any other EV I have ever driven?

So there is absolutely no effort made to integrate the regenerative braking with the hydraulic braking? How is it that Tesla has such better transition from regen to hydraulic braking than any other EV I have ever driven?

Better engineering? A better thought out system? I think they really took the time to design it to be an easy transition from an ICE car. With the accelerator pedal you can modulate the regen/deceleration very precisely just like you can manage the deceleration on a stick shift ICE car at higher RPM, with the gas pedal, and only use the brakes when really needed...very similar feeling.

Because it doesn't try to muck around with blending the functions of the Go pedal and the Stop pedal.
When you take your foot off the Go pedal, you're at max regen for that speed. If you then apply the brake pedal, you'll get friction on the pads. This is done through the Bosch iBoost actuator which does a very good job of applying the brakes smoothly and consistently.