Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do Your Brakes Emit a Cheap Sounding Squeak?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do I even explain this one, I dunno but I'm gonna try. This happens after I've had the car out in the rain, even arriving back home and letting the car sit for hours. For example, if I'm driving the car into the garage and start to ease on the brakes, everything is fine until I press them hard enough to fully stop the car and then the brakes will emit this gawd awful "cheap" high pitch sounding squeak/chirp. I mean, it sounds like toy brakes. After the car dries out for a good day, I repeat the procedure at home, a stop light, etc. and I don't have this issue.

So, it appears that it's something to do with the moisture and good gosh, it's fairly loud and just sounds like junk. I get this look from people like, "WTH is that noise all about?", kind of embarrassing to be honest.

Have any of you experienced this?

IMG_7505.PNG

Ok, I get the 6K mile theory but I'm curious as to why this ONLY happens after I've driven the car in rain. I guess the brakes and rotors aren't "waterproof"? :eek:
I would think it's the same reason they might look "rusty" after rain. Then rust off after using them. Mine squealed for a bit so I used brakes on purpose couple times and then it went away.

Ok, I get the 6K mile theory but I'm curious as to why this ONLY happens after I've driven the car in rain. I guess the brakes and rotors aren't "waterproof"? :eek:

Because you rarely use the brakes. They oxidize and take longer to return to "ICE" status. After a good rain, my car even "sticks" a little when i first go from park to drive, as if the rust was so intense it was holding the car back for .00000001 seconds. I'm nearly 100k miles and haven't had a brake problem yet. :)

9K on 2015 S60 - have not noticed this. Though I have noticed the 'seized on' behavior when the rotors are wet when the car is parked. Have not investigated how to get it to park without applying emergency brake - not sure if it can.

6,000 miles is a fair guess. Could be more if you use regen a lot. Our noises went away at about 8-9000 miles. And then I was involved in an on-purpose (humaniod ran a red light) wreck and the left front brake was replaced. The brake noise, left front, is back again for another 8-9000 miles :)

9K on 2015 S60 - have not noticed this. Though I have noticed the 'seized on' behavior when the rotors are wet when the car is parked. Have not investigated how to get it to park without applying emergency brake - not sure if it can.
Follow the instructions for towing to shut down without setting the emergency brake. Of course, it will roll like a skateboard without the parking brake, so chock your wheels (or park on very level ground).

American worry about their brakes squeaking to the point that manufacturers put crappier brake pads on them. Compare the brakes on German cars in Germany versus over here. Noisier and better versus quieter and crappier.

Also, after rain the rotors sitting overnight tend to rust slightly, and that makes them squeak until the pads clean them off. Tesla cars make much less use of the brakes so they don't get cleaned off as quickly.