Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Do your front intake shutters (louvers) actuate (close) ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I didnt even know this was a thing until yesterday.

They are located at the front, under the "nose" of the car. Where some aftermarket front plate holders attach. There are 2 of them, left and right. And supposedly they should be closed 90% of the time to allow for better aerodynamics while driving (hence lower Wh/Mile). Here is a video of Model S one actuating, I cant find a model 3 or Y video -

njb94jx.png

They are supposed to open when more cooling is required for the radiator behind them. One way to make them open is to do charging (not sure if low 110v 12A charge will produce enough heat or not). But they should open when the battery fan kicks in.

Now, mine are just always open. Granted I only found out about them yesterday. So I have less than 24 hours of sample size for mine. Ill keep monitoring it. Maybe it just hasnt hit a condition in which they close. But I would think they should have closed overnight when car was just idling (not charging).

I walked over to my neighbor's MY and his were open as well with the car just parked in the driveway. I walked over to another neighbor's M3 and on the M3 they were closed. It was also parked.

So same ambient temps/conditions and all 3 cars parked. M3 closed, both MY's open.

Im not sure how to force them to close. Do you know if yours actually actuate? Or are always open or closed? Always open would probably be better than always closed, since you are sacrificing range for better cooling, versus having better range but potentially making your cooling system work way harder.

Post if yours are open/closed and under what conditions. I think ambient temp may play a role since its cooling related. My ambient is 80F. (Southern California).

Sorry for the bump, but I have noticed that mine always seem to be open. I noticed it last night in 50F weather. The car had been sitting for 30 minutes or so without charging, but these were open and the fan sounded like it was running.

So, I didnt even know this was a thing until yesterday.

They are located at the front, under the "nose" of the car. Where some aftermarket front plate holders attach. There are 2 of them, left and right. And supposedly they should be closed 90% of the time to allow for better aerodynamics while driving (hence lower Wh/Mile). Here is a video of Model S one actuating, I cant find a model 3 or Y video -

njb94jx.png

They are supposed to open when more cooling is required for the radiator behind them. One way to make them open is to do charging (not sure if low 110v 12A charge will produce enough heat or not). But they should open when the battery fan kicks in.

Now, mine are just always open. Granted I only found out about them yesterday. So I have less than 24 hours of sample size for mine. Ill keep monitoring it. Maybe it just hasnt hit a condition in which they close. But I would think they should have closed overnight when car was just idling (not charging).

I walked over to my neighbor's MY and his were open as well with the car just parked in the driveway. I walked over to another neighbor's M3 and on the M3 they were closed. It was also parked.

So same ambient temps/conditions and all 3 cars parked. M3 closed, both MY's open.

Im not sure how to force them to close. Do you know if yours actually actuate? Or are always open or closed? Always open would probably be better than always closed, since you are sacrificing range for better cooling, versus having better range but potentially making your cooling system work way harder.

Post if yours are open/closed and under what conditions. I think ambient temp may play a role since its cooling related. My ambient is 80F. (Southern California).

S/X have powered louvres for the side AC condensers. 3/Y do not. [EDIT: Have a shutter ]
You can check the parts out at epc.tesla.com, search for louvre.

Last edited:
Hmm, from the parts catalog:
MY ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTER ASSY
1494159-00-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) $0.00 1

That sounds like an active shutter system?

Great catch, yeah there is a one piece shutter in the air stream. (I got thrown off my the name change)

Oh, that is interesting, from looking at it, it seemed like they would be movable. I guess I'm more bothered by the constantly running fan, though, than whether or not these actually articulate.

What's going on with the fan?

As to operation, having the shutter closed may decrease drag by causing air flow to go around the nose rather than resitively passing through the radiator.

The louvers are there to help modulate the temperature of the radiator/exchanger just behind it. I get them to activate when I pre-heat the car when it's cold out. I presume they close to avoid cooling the heated fluid for the cabin rather than the louvers staying open and constantly cooling the fluid off. I believe the same thing occurs when charging when it's cold out as the batteries need to be warmed up. The fans don't operate for no reason.

Sandy Munro also highlighted the active louver system in his MY teardown series.

Huh, is the noise gone the next morning?
It may have been doing an update or woken up if you had the paired phone.

It was still there, but by then the charge cord was plugged in. It cycles on and off charging so it wouldn't be too crazy for it to come on again.

I actually turned off bluetooth on all phone keys for a bit and it kept running.

It is definitely something that I will ask service about at the next appointment. I'm not sure that I've ever heard it not running, which makes me think a sensor could be bad.

Reactions: mongo
Hmm, from the parts catalog:
MY ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTER ASSY
1494159-00-A Over-the-Counter(No VIN) $0.00 1

That sounds like an active shutter system?
I just had my MY serviced for an inaccurate outside temperature reading.....was 10 degrees colder before I started driving, then after 10 minutes of driving the reading was correct. Service replaced the ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTER ASSY to correct the problem. The temp sensor was fine.

Yes. To the OP’s original question.

I know this because I was just out near my car when I heard the sound of a small electric motor doing something down there under the nose of the car. Wondered what it was so I got down on hands & knees to look. Saw the shutters as they finished opening up …….. which implies that prior to that, they were closed.

No idea what my girl was up to at the time, but she definitely wanted the shutters to be opened up.

Tweet indicates these may be linked to cold weather issues. Suggests keeping the intake clean.
If the shutters fail to open - shouldn't you get some kind of error? I did notice a few weeks ago when I was at a SCv3 that it would only push 65kwh output. Granted it was only 13f outside at the time. I didn't check to see if my louvers were closed or not.

If the shutters fail to open - shouldn't you get some kind of error? I did notice a few weeks ago when I was at a SCv3 that it would only push 65kwh output. Granted it was only 13f outside at the time. I didn't check to see if my louvers were closed or not.
In the Tweet thing, it's that they don't close. (Maybe not relevent to thread beyond being vent related).
From that narrative, it seems like the system can detect air temp (indirectly? ), but not the physical vent position.